WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Copper Spur UL2 too heavy for solo PCT thru hike?

I saw that the BA Copper Spur UL2 will be going on sale for $300 at REI in a week. I have heard great things about this free stranding palace. I would just be using it for me on my 2015 thru hike. I know Ultralite is all the rave, peeps sleep under rain coats and forage for berries so they don't have to carry a tent and a granola bar (I kid) Personally I think I might like this roomy shelter. Packaged weight is 3lbs 2oz. I dig the idea of free standing, two entrances (incase a zipper fails) 2 vestibules and side entrance. I think maybe if the FLy Creek ul2 was also going on sale this might be a tougher decision. I'm 6'2 230lbs. Anyone use the copperspur ul2 for a solo PCT thru hike or am I insane to carry this big shelter? -Harry Hood

Come on people, I need an answer!

Journal Entries

if it were me,I would go with the tarptent double rainbow. $289.00 and 2lbs 9oz free standing
    Blackheart

I'm also interested

I have the Copper Spur 3 Person. Great tent. If you like extra room, then a two person tent is great. When it rains, you will appreciate the extra space. If you are not happy on the trail, then why go?

What about the copper spur UL1? it's an ounce lighter than the Double Rainbow and no fussing with trekking poles. You the think the ul1 at 40 ounces would be a good tent for a big man on a PCT thru hike?

Journal Entries

What kind of price are you coming up with? The only thing I saw was $369.99. I would still stick with the Double Rainbow.
    Blackheart

Images

I have the CS UL 1 and am about your size it has been good. I also have the
    Tarptent Moment DW which has proven to be a good fit for me.
    I am 6' 1" and about 215lbs.

If you can, go the store and see if they have one set up. Crawl in and see how it feels.
    You will be the one carrying the extra weight.

I have had both on the PCT around Mt. hood.

Levibarry

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    What kind of price are you coming up with? The only thing I saw was $369.99. I would still stick with the Double Rainbow.
    Ul2 are going for $299 at REI starting 8/22 (labor day sale)

Journal Entries

That's a good price cut.Eventually you are going to have to decide which one you want to purchase. Compare the two side by side then pull the trigger on one of them. As far as using trekking poles for your setup, its not that hard and makes your poles double duty equipment.
    Blackheart

May be worth it to wait until next year. Word is the price of the fly creek is going down also Nemo has a new tent 2lbs with 2 doors and a decent amount of space. I think my buddy said it would be around $350 but REI always has a 20% off sale early.

i have the copper spur ul 2 and switched to a lighter hammock in damascus. I now use it for car camping or share the weight with a friend when hiking since there is so much room. I wouldn't carry it again on a solo trip.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Have a look at the Flycreek Platinum if you stay with BA.... I hiked about 1000 miles of the PCT with a hiker who had one and he loved it.

It costs a bit more but considering it'll be your home for 4+ months an extra $100-$150 isn't unreasonable.

You're going to have to make the call on the weight. But as far as a great tent, I'll give it a plug. My son carries one when we section hike the AT and it's been a great tent for that. That said, he likes a little bit of comfort and the extra room gives him that.

Left Turn ' 55yrs old female is doing a AT thru hike and has about 200 miles to complete. She has carried her BA Copper Spur UL 2. I have been reading her journal and not complaints on weight. I guess it comes down to what is more important to you, Comfort or weight?

I just finished my PCT thru. It rained maybe 4 times in all 1700 miles of Cali. And that was brief. Didnt have to hike in the rain until Oregon and that was only because I decided to. Mosquitos are a problem for a while so I would recommend something with a net for the northern half of sierras onward. Many people used the BA fly creek 1 or 2 and really liked it. A bunch used the Tarptent contrail but most said that if it rained they got wet in it. I used a tarp or nothing. A light pack is nice when youre on the PCT as you will likely be doing 25 plus mile days.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Section Hiker

If you want true free standing I think the Copper Spur is the way to go. You should get in a UL1 before you decide on it--could be pretty small; I would go with the 2. I think it would be worth the weight. Make sacrifices or get other UL gear elsewhere if the tent is the right one for you. I have the Fly Creek 2 and size wise it is great, but the Fly Creek is NOT fully free standing. I like it fine for what I do but am looking into hammocks right now.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

++ New Posts ++