WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hanging Packs in the GSMNP?

So, just curious, do you hang your pack on the cables when you are in the GSMNP? Or do you keep your pack with you, separate out all your smellables and just hang food bags?

I have just been hanging all my smellables in food bags for years now. But the most recent rash of pack stealing bruins has made me start to rethink that. I know the park recommends hanging packs... and I'm thinking that would be the best route when I visit the park again this fall.

What say ya'll?

Images

I usually just hang my food bag. Sometimes I don't even do that.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Park regulations REQUIRE that you hang your food bag (or 'odorous items' as they frequently refer them to).

Instructions on use of bear cables 'recommend' that you hang your entire pack.

I usually only hang my food bag from the bear cables and hang my pack from a shelter nail or on the side of a tree.

However, recently there was a bear that stole someone's pack (with food in it) from a shelter. Until that bear was "dealt with", the park service posted signs at that shelter requiring entire packs be hung from the bear cables at that shelter.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-03-2014 at 16:49.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Park regulations REQUIRE that you hang your food bag (or 'odorous items' as they frequently refer them to).
    Or the term 'smellables'

Instructions on use of bear cables 'recommend' that you hang your entire pack.
    Not all do, most AT shelters don't at all mention this, the exception is a bear waring poster if such a shelter is under that warning of a known bear.

My empty pack is part of my sleep system and I've never hung it anywhere and see no need to do so as long as all food is out of it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    My empty pack is part of my sleep system and I've never hung it anywhere and see no need to do so as long as all food is out of it.
    bold mine

Except that you have had food stored inside your pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    bold mine

Except that you have had food stored inside your pack.
    Sure. I have made it a habit to use Aloksak bags within my food bag, although I have no illusions that all food scents are contained. But then again, I'm sure that my clothing smells like food as well with odors related to cooking, etc. Outside of grizzly country, I haven't heard of anyone recommending total segregation of cooking clothing and sleep clothing. I'm pretty sure that the critters know that we have been around food and can probably tell when there is enough of an odor to warrant the risk of investigating and possibly pissing off a human.

FWIW, on my recent Colorado Trail thru hike I used the Aloksak bags and a zPacks cuben food bag. I admit to not hanging my food and sleeping with it about half of the nights on the trail and hanging the other half. It depended mainly on whether I had a suitable tree available. I had about the same ratio of hang/no hang on the AT segment I did this spring (not in GSMNP). I'm not familiar with the Smokies so it could be that things are so bad there with bears that hanging a pack is needed. Then again, Yosemite has major bear problems in the Valley and popular backcountry spots and I always kept my pack with me at night.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Not all do, most AT shelters don't at all mention this, the exception is a bear waring poster if such a shelter is under that warning of a known bear.
    Not instructions at the shelters...

...the instructions on the back side of the Back country Trail Map. Those instructions "require" your food bag be hung and "recommend" your entire pack be hung.

And even the back country trail map used various terminology for what I would call your "food" bag:
    'odorous items must be stored...'
    'Regulations require proper food storage.'
    'Secure all food and other attractants...'

Images

You stuff all has the smell of cooked food after a couple days on the trail. Pack, tent, clothing, etc. Do what makes you feel comfortable, but if you hang your pack 'cause it may have a food smell then you may as well sleep hanging from a cable.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I hung the food bag, which was full of food, snacks, and cookware. I kept the pack in the shelter, all the way back at the end. I was worried about mice but none...............didn't have any problems.

I have always made a habit of hanging a bag no matter where I am.

Floyd

Images

Depending on time of year (gsmnp), most shelter fronts will be covered with hanging packs, and hey you got cables so why not hang the food. I've only seen it stolen a couple times...

Images

Slightly off/on topic. I was thinking about hiking the JMT next year and hoped that the lighter, easier to pack Ursack would be approved by then. Ursack has not been approved until recently, and even then there are a few parts of the JMT where it isn't allowed yet. However, after reading this post I probably wouldn't trust an Ursack.

I know that the GSMNP has bear cables and I have only heard a couple of anecdotal stories about bears knowing how to get bags off the cable. It usually involves bouncing the cable to get food off the hook that hasn't been clipped to the line with a carabiner. Anyhow, it gives a good idea of how bad a bear can screw up a food bag, even one made of spectra

http://giantdumpster.wordpress.com/tag/ursack-failure/
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

OK, so we may differ on the hang your food / pack issue, what about any hooch (whiskey) - sleep with it or hang it, and risk a bear getting that?

My approach is to hang my food, keep pack in my tent...............hooch stays with me. If the bear wants to fight for that, we are going to have an issue!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    OK, so we may differ on the hang your food / pack issue, what about any hooch (whiskey) - sleep with it or hang it, and risk a bear getting that?

My approach is to hang my food, keep pack in my tent...............hooch stays with me. If the bear wants to fight for that, we are going to have an issue!
    Of course. What if you get thirsty in the middle of the night. Or need something to help you sleep with all them dang bears after the food cables.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries

Hanging your pack and unused items:

1. Keeps them out of your and everybody else's way
    2. Keeps mice from gnawing on them
    3. You don't have to worry as much about leaving your stuff when you go to crap

#1 is nice when the shelter is full. #2 is nice all the time.

I hung my pack there, wouldn't do it any other way if I did it again.

I just hang my food. But on one night, I accidentally left a few M&Ms in my hip belt's pouch and a mouse chewed a hole right through it. Oops! Lesson learned - hanging food isn't just for bears.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    I just hang my food. But on one night, I accidentally left a few M&Ms in my hip belt's pouch and a mouse chewed a hole right through it. Oops! Lesson learned - hanging food isn't just for bears.
    If little feller chewed thru material, where's your sew kit? If through Zipper... go shoppin'

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Of course. What if you get thirsty in the middle of the night. ...
    What if the bear is also thirsty in the middle of the night

Better bring 2 bottles then

Starchild

It's bad enough that bears go after our trail food, but now you are openly advocating giving firewater to the bears.... What has this world come to. Next thing you know, bears will be knocking over liquor stores.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Hanging your pack and unused items:

2. Keeps mice from gnawing on them

It's apparent that you have not experienced all that the Smokies have to offer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++