Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Birth control

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Default Birth control

Heya, I am wondering what other women have done concerning birth control? I take the pill, and I would personally perfer not to stop. I am hiking with my partner, but it also helps with other things that would just make it easier to hike. I was thinking of either looking into other methods or finding out from my doctor if I could get all my prescriptions or if someone else could get them and mail them to me. Ideas?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Our company requires we use their mail-order pharmacy to fill prescriptions for "maintenance" drugs. Seems like they always fill these type in 90-day supplies.

So you might want to simply check into online pharmacies that might allow you to transfer you prescription and get a multi-month refill.

I bought six months worth of pills before we left home and had them in our bounce box. No problem.

If you need insurance to cover your pills, they usually won't cover more than 3 months at a time. You may be able to ask your doctor for 3 months' worth of samples to make up the difference.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

If you can't get them and then mail drop them, you can can get the prescription forwarded to a pharmacy. I have done this with meds while I have been traveling. If you go to the same chain of pharmacy you use at home it helps. For instance Target to Target, Walmart to Walmart etc. Usually it has only taken about an hour for them to transfer it and fill it for me.

Guy chiming in here, but I hope it is helpful information. You don't have to even transfer any RX from Walmart to Walmart, Target to Target etc. My bad back went out in Hollidaysburg PA, where we were visiting my grandparents. My wife walked the half block to the mom & pop pharmacy and told the pharmacist the issue "my dumb husband and I are here visiting, from Texas. His bad back went out and he did NOT pack his medicine". the pharmacist said have a seat. They called our Kroger's pharmacy back in Texas. Within 30 minutes, we had enough pills to get me back home (like a weeks worth of meds).

Now if you have your RX at say Walmart, and are at a different Walmart, I would hope it would be even easier.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Okay. Yeah, my insurance actually only lets me have one months supply at a time....I think I'll ask about forwarding it to a different pharmacy, hopefully that will work. Thanks!

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Agree with misprof. Explain your plans to your MD and the limitations of your insurance and ask for as many sample packs as they will give. They usually have shelves stocked full with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

You could ask your doctor about switching to the shot which lasts 3 months. This is also required to be covered by insurance under the new rules. Even if your insurance company doesn't want to, they are required by law to do it. Of course, everybody reacts differently so you might want to stick with the brand you have now. Just an idea you can ask your doctor about.

Here is the information from the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare!) regarding birth control. Basically any form of FDA approved birth control must be covered without a co-payment or any other extra cost to you. So switching to the shot will NOT cost extra! Of course the shot might not be right for you, but it is worth considering for the convenience while you are on the trail.

http://www.nwlc.org/sites/default/fi...aq_11.9.11.pdf

What types of birth control are now covered with no cost sharing?
    The full range of FDA-approved prescription contraceptive methods are included. This means women can access oral contraception (the Pill), the shot (Depo-Provera), the ring (Nuvaring), contraceptive implants, diaphragms, cervical caps and permanent contraceptive methods, like tubal ligation, without paying a co-payment or having the costs applied to her deductible.

I wouldn't recommend the shot (Depo Provera) unless you make the switch 3+ months prior to starting your hike. It can cause unpredictable spotting for a while during your first round. However, after a few months, some women stop having a period altogether. Be careful though -- if you're on it too long, you can continue to not experience a period for a long time after your last shot wears off (over a year, in my case).

I took my pill pack with me when I hiked the PCT. Wal-mart sells my brand for $9 a pack, so even without insurance it is affordable. I sent them in my resupply boxes and I never had an issue. There is an advantage of being able to control your cycle, or skip it all together, when you're taking the pill. You don't really have that luxury with the shot which is notorious for causing irregular bleeding for several months after starting it. Even an IUD will give you some irregular bleeding before it stops your flow all together (if you're lucky!).

Hi, I've tried both the depo shot for 18months and currently have the implanon. I liked the depo and it worked really well for me, but it affects people differently, so it's definitly a see before you go type situation.
    Same with having the implanon, it's injected into the upper arm and lasts 2+ years, it has been really good.
    Both have side affects that include reduced sex drive and weight gain but I didn't experience either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

If you pick up your birth control at a retail pharmacy anyone who knows your address and/or date of birth should be able to call for a refill for you(assuming you have enough refills), pick up your birth control, and mail it to you.
    Also, you could ask your pharmacist to call your insurance and ask for a vacation override. Many, but not all, insurances will pay for a larger supply of medication if the pharmacy calls and tells them when you are leaving town and returning. Usually they will allow this once per year if you are traveling somewhere that you will not have access to a pharmacy; however, not all insurances will do it.
    It seems like it would be easiest to make sure you have enough refills on your prescription and have someone pick your bc up each month (or every 3 months depending on how your script is written) and mail it to you.
    If your pharmacist won't work with you to figure this out; I would look for a new pharmacy..if your insurance allows that.
    Whatever you decide; I hope you have a great hike!

I take the shot every 11 weeks I've been on it for about 6 years now personally I would def. say look into getting the shot because it is so *wonderful* to never have to worry about or go thru cramps, mood swings, ect. I looked into it and you would need to send your records ahead from whatever doctor you go to because most docs/clinics have a rule about new patients that you have to go through 2 pregnancy tests 2 weeks apart before you will be allowed to get the shot, at least thets the bs the local catholic hospital puts women through.

I have an IUD so I don't really know how hard it is to get multiple packs of the pill at once, especially with insurance. If you're willing to go out of pocket, which might not be so bad since they have a sliding scale, some Planned Parenthood clinics offer this:

"Pills Now Pay Later® is available at this health center - a service that allows you to visit us for one appointment and walk out the door with up to a year's supply of birth control and a convenient, low, monthly payment plan."

Saw that on their website just now. Maybe worth checking out? Hope it helps.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leftorright View Post
    ... most docs/clinics have a rule about new patients that you have to go through 2 pregnancy tests 2 weeks apart before you will be allowed to get the shot, at least thets the bs the local catholic hospital puts women through.
    Usually the testing is recommended by the pharmaceutical company making the drug. And you're lucky, the catholic health care system where I am won't even allow you to get bc. But it is a faith-based organization so it's within their rights to do so.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

If you have time and insurance, I'd recommend looking into an IUD. Thanks to the ACA, my IUD was absolutely free. Plus the added benefit of it reducing or eliminating your period (one less thing to worry about on the trail), but it does take a while for your body to adjust so I wouldn't do it immediately before leaving!

I use NuvaRing. It's easier to just put it in and forget it, rather than have to remember a pill everyday. And you can leave it in for a month and just skip your period too!

Default A couple different approaches

I have completed long-distance trails without birth control, on the pill, and with an IUD. My favorite method is the IUD because I don't have to think about it and my period goes away with the increased exercise. When I was on the pill my doctor was able to provide enough samples to get me down the trail. I still got my period on the trail when I used the pill. YOU CAN ASK YOUR DOCTOR WHETHER OR NOT IT IS SAFE TO SKIP THE PLACEBO. My OBGYN told me that I could forgo the "off" week and continue taking birth control pills to eliminate having my period on the trail. I thought that it was a pretty fantastic idea and have always been able to regulate very quickly once I stop hiking. Hiking WITHOUT birth control was probably the hardest, because my period never went away and the symptoms made hiking very uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++