WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Trail Etiquette

When I pass someone on the bicycle path, I say YO!! rather loudly a way from them, repeat as necessary, louder each time. very loudly if necessary.
    If no response a hand on their shoulder so they don't crash you when passing.
    Personally I think loud music in earphones interferes with everyones safety on the bicycle, running, hiking paths

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I clack my poles together to make some noise that lets them know I'm behind them and 99% of the time they move aside if they see I'm closing in on them.
    I would think my panting, wheezing, and heavy breathing would be enough to notify them. Or perhaps the sound of me stumbling over rocks, sticks, and roots.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaW View Post
    I would think my panting, wheezing, and heavy breathing would be enough to notify them. Or perhaps the sound of me stumbling over rocks, sticks, and roots.
    This would get my attention

No rules, just use good judgement and common courtesy.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Images

Yeah, this generally is the rule if there is one.

In practice, since any hill steep enough to be of consequence will tend to be in "rougher" terrain, which ever person has the easiest spot to step out of the way normally does so. Not something that is a big deal, usually one or the other just steps aside and smiles.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    No rules, just use good judgement and common courtesy.
    But if everyone took that advice, then what would we argue about online?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Please go to the bathroom off the trail and bury your TP too. Usually in areas that have a lot of day hikers there is TP on the trail. Gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

In practice, since any hill steep enough to be of consequence will tend to be in "rougher" terrain, which ever person has the easiest spot to step out of the way normally does so. Not something that is a big deal, usually one or the other just steps aside and smiles.
    This...all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

I was taught early in hiking etiquette that the uphill hiker has the right of way and to step aside if I am going downhill. It is up to the uphill hiker if they yield it to the downhill hiker. Additionally the slower hiker has the right of way when being passed by a faster one. I know I sure appreciate when I have developed an uphill pace and don't have to break it for people coming downhill.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Additionally the slower hiker has the right of way when being passed by a faster one.
    That's a new one on me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Fadedsun made a good point. Use kindness. Night train also good judgement and common courtesy.
    Treating others as we want to be treated ourselves. Very rarely do I go where MT Bikers go. Have the feeling they may have equipment issues and safety issues very different from hikers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++