WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Trail Etiquette

Default Trail Etiquette

Here recently I was reading an article (forget what it was) and I saw it mentioned that uphill hikers have the right away when on the trail. Since I did not know this I am curious as to what other things should I be aware of on the trail in terms of trail etiquette.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Nobody on foot has the right of way over anyone else. Passing a person on the trail isn't the sort of thing that so difficult as to require it's own rule. Usually oneperson just steps off out of common courtesy. Typically I always step off trail when someone is passing in the opposite direction since I hike with a dog and just think it's polite to have her in a sit command when someone else passes by.

Funny enough the only "rule" I've ever seen in writing that mentions this subject is that during trail running races the downhill runner typically has the right of way since it's much harder for them to stop their momentum safely.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 09-06-2014 at 07:01.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

It is like walking on a sidewalk or in a busy store/restaurant, common courtesy. I walk most ever day on the trail, met a lot of hikers. I am not in a hurry, so I always step aside and say "Hello". Every hiker I have met, says "Thanks". Some stop to visit, others just go on their way. I must say that Hikers are friendlier than most folks you will meet on the street.

I always yield to uphill hikers. When I'm hiking uphill, nearly all other backpackers seem to yield to me. Day hikers aren't as familiar with this custom and often don't yield. I view yielding to the uphill hiker to be a small courtesy but I'm not aware of any "rule" and no one is going to give "violators" a citation.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I always step aside when I am going uphill because I could use the rest!

Other bits of etiquette: don't make a lot of noise in camp after dark if others are around; don't wash your dishes in streams or ponds/lakes; always leave some kind of payment at a hostel even if payment is "optional"; don't quiz women hikers about their destination or about whether they are hiking alone; practice a "live and let live" ethic toward wildlife you encounter (don't prod snakes to get a reaction or bother/stalk other wildlife to get that perfect camera shot); don't try to "save" spots in a shelter or choice tenting sites for your hiking buddies -- it should be first-come-first-served; always say a kind word or two to trail workers.
    Last edited by map man; 09-06-2014 at 08:21.

Images

I've read the downhill thing before - the reasoning seems to be a downhill hiker will see an uphill hiker first (especially on a long uphill, I guess, where you're looking at your feet!). Something about horses, too, that hikers should get out of the way of horses and talk calmly and not make sudden moves that might scare the horse.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

I always let uphill hikers have the right of way. They often stop for a chat. When I'm slogging uphill, no one seems to step aside, so I think this "rule" is not widely known.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I've read the downhill thing before - the reasoning seems to be a downhill hiker will see an uphill hiker first (especially on a long uphill, I guess, where you're looking at your feet!). Something about horses, too, that hikers should get out of the way of horses and talk calmly and not make sudden moves that might scare the horse.
    Hikers and cyclists should always yield to horses on a multiuse trail, but that's a matter of safety not simply a courtesy. Horses are flighty 1400lb animals and you want to give them some space for the sake of everyone involved.. Also, if you encounter a rider while on a trail or switchback on a hill, always step off the trail on the downhill side, in the event that the horse gets spooked, they will almost always run uphill.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The October 2014 issue of Backpacker has an article on trail etiquette which was pretty interesting. For hiking right of way they recommend that downhill yield to uphill (downhiller will probably see uphiller and its easier to resume downhill hiking), slower yield to faster (don't cause traffic jam), mountain bikers yield to hikers (yeah right, never experienced this one...), and everyone yields to horses.

They cover a lot of other topics including smoking, cell phones, shelters and dogs. Most of this seems to be common courtesy and/or common sense, but at times there seems to be an excess of self-esteem on the trail.

Garlic
    Images

Only a few things people do on a trail miff me, and one of them is failure to say "Thank you" when I step aside and yield on a narrow trail, no matter the slope.

Another one is making me listen to their music or telephone conversation.

As far as yielding goes, I apply a lesson I was taught when learning how to drive--the right-of-way is something always to be given, never taken.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Uphill hikers should be granted the right of way.
    Downhill runners should be granted the right of way.

When you mix runners and hikers you know there's gonna be an accident
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hikers and cyclists should always yield to horses on a multiuse trail, but that's a matter of safety not simply a courtesy. Horses are flighty 1400lb animals and you want to give them some space for the sake of everyone involved.. Also, if you encounter a rider while on a trail or switchback on a hill, always step off the trail on the downhill side, in the event that the horse gets spooked, they will almost always run uphill.
    Pretty good advice. Recently was approached by half dozen riders on horseback, so I stepped few feet off trail and spoke several yards before passing so as not to spook. Some horses can be very sensitive on tight trails.

Etiquette is a waste of time in such a large community of users, because people's idea of "manners" differ so much. A good example is this topic of hikers going up/down hill, who gives way.

We can't even decide on that and we WB'ers are just a fraction of who's out on the trails.

Me, I'll just continue doing the same thing, step off the trail and keep walking...damn trails are too narrow any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Uphill hikers should be granted the right of way.
    Downhill runners should be granted the right of way.

When you mix runners and hikers you know there's gonna be an accident
    ...long as it happens off the trail I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Etiquette is a waste of time in such a large community of users, because people's idea of "manners" differ so much. A good example is this topic of hikers going up/down hill, who gives way.

We can't even decide on that and we WB'ers are just a fraction of who's out on the trails.

Me, I'll just continue doing the same thing, step off the trail and keep walking...damn trails are too narrow any way.
    kinda same here...

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I tend to give way to the other hiker in any direction because I'm slower than everyone. After you, my dear Alphonse!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

98% of bicyclists are rude and will not yield to hikers. Another bad habit most of them have as well is to wait until they are right behind you before they say anything. Scares the crap out of you. They should make themselves know well in advance. Or, perhaps I am just jumpy......

Journal Entries
    Images

In thousands of miles of hiking. I have never had a yield issue with another hiker or trail runner. Which tells me we are a nice group of people. Did kinda feel guilty one time when walking up Mt Greylock and a group of youth were told by their leader to step aside for me. I got the feeling it was just a matter of their leader teaching manners because I was much older than the kids. My experience is that passing hikers usually give each other a smile, and the only little non issue is when we both want to yield.

Only minor issue I've ever seen is someone semi hogging break time at a nice viewing area. Even there I am more than happy to let a couple enjoy that special alone time. Most I'll ever say is hey " would you be kind enough to take my picture in front of the view? And, of course, will ask if they would like me to do the same. Never has any type of verbal conflict manifest itself.

Now sex in the middle of the trail? Thats a no no, but the few times I've run across that I just walk around wordless. Sometimes the youth among us overrides common sense. Had one couple later in the day express their embarrassment and tell me they learned a lesson the hard way. Also I've bumped into another hiker where neither of us could really see the other coming. We just checked to make sure we were both ok, knowing full well nobody was at fault.
    Last edited by lemon b; 09-06-2014 at 10:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Twogears View Post
    98% of bicyclists are rude and will not yield to hikers. Another bad habit most of them have as well is to wait until they are right behind you before they say anything. Scares the crap out of you. They should make themselves know well in advance. Or, perhaps I am just jumpy......
    I'm a cyclists and I agree with you. I've seen the Lance-wannabes on MUPs coming around blind corners way too fast, expecting everyone to "make a hole". Even on the roads I see them continually blowing thru stopsigns/lights and expecting everyone to wait for them.

I hate to sterotype, but cyclists, sadly, do fit the sterotype of rude and take the notion of entitlement to a whole new level. Even David Suzuki hates them http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/06...everyone-else/

BTW, I'm a Lance-wannabe, very fast rider, but I do it all on the road, never on MUPs, not even on roads where my speed would be such to cause me to be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Twogears View Post
    That was not my experience on the Colorado Trail. Most bikers were courteous. I only had one slightly negative encounter and it wasn't a big deal. As far as I know, bikes aren't allowed anywhere on the AT.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++