WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Watauga Lake to Damascus

Going to hike this section in October. Just curious on thoughts on which way to hike - Southbound from Damascus or Northbound from the Lake? Also, any goods camping spots along the way - the shelters seem to be spaced a little different on the section.
    NO K

Images

From a practical standpoint I would think going north would be the better of the two options. Safer parking and restaurants right on the trail when you finish.

I actually did this exact section in 3 days and we did Hwy 321 to Iron Mtn shelter, then over to Abingdon Gap shelter and then in to Damascus. It's easy sailing once you make the ridge up from the dam.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

A.T. Maintainer (Pond Mtn to Watauga Lake)
    Images

I agree... I think northbound would be a tad easier, but it's a fairly easy (level) in both directions, once you get up on the Iron Mtn ridgeline. Camping is closed all along Watauga Lake due to bear activity, so your first camping options would be on Iron Mountain. There's a nice campsite about halfway in between Vandeventer Shelter and Iron Mtn Shelter in a gap. There's a nice spring there. Once you cross the TN91 road and Osbourne Farm, there's also another nice campsite not too far before the Double Springs Shelter with a water source. After you cross Hway 421 there will be plenty of level spots for camping too, but I don't remember many water sources. If you need help with a shuttle let me know... I live in Dennis Cove, very close to Watauga Lake.

My two cents is this: I did this section in December but started at dennis cove to pond flats pond flats to vendventner shelter(Spelling) vend shelter to Double springs double springs to Damascus.

I ran out of water at vend shelter all the way to Iron mount shelter and there really isnt alot of water on that ridge. If you go north keep an eye out for apple tree between vend shelter and iron mountain.

I would go nobo due to ending in a trail town is always nice and safer parking then at the dam. Go to a little place called dots in damascus. Cold beer and good burger. They were dog friendly which surprised me too.

The climb up from the dam is alot of fun and it keeps going and going and going until you reach vend shelter. It took from 8am till about 6-7 pm to get from Pond flats to vend shelter
    Trail Miles: 4,992.0
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I went from Kincora to Just north of Vandeventer in one day last summer. Water was good at the spring about a mile and a half before I got to the shelter. Then it was just two days of easy hiking into Damascus. There is water between Vandeventer and Iron Mtn shelter and I believe it was marked with a sign--just off to the right going NOBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    There is water between Vandeventer and Iron Mtn shelter and I believe it was marked with a sign--just off to the right going NOBO.
    Yep I missed it for sure!
    Trail Miles: 4,992.0
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries
    Images

Nobo IMO. Great east section with good camping & nice time of year to do it. If the weather turns for the worst, always remember Vandeventer faces the west & isn't a good option to sleep in but there is good tenting @ it. The bears around the lake shouldn't be too big of a problem in the Fall vs the Spring. ~Enjoy~
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

one of the easier sections of the trail ,especially Nobo. its not called the Tennessee turnpike for no reason :-)

Images

I'll be doing that section NOBO in October. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    one of the easier sections of the trail ,especially Nobo. its not called the Tennessee turnpike for no reason :-)
    My thoughts precisely.

NOBO for sure

Journal Entries

Default Hike

I plan on doing this section in leaving out of Kincora on the 15th of October. Glad to see this post. I plan on taking my dog for his first hike. Looks like a good section to test him on. We may take 4 days to get to Damascus. Hike On!!!!!

Miller

Quote Originally Posted by ric2hunt View Post
    Going to hike this section in October. Just curious on thoughts on which way to hike - Southbound from Damascus or Northbound from the Lake? Also, any goods camping spots along the way - the shelters seem to be spaced a little different on the section.

Journal Entries

Yea might see you out there. I will be leaving the Kincora on the 15th. Hike On!!!

Miller

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I'll be doing that section NOBO in October. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Journal Entries

Hey friend!! Man I missed you by one year on this hike. I plan on hiking this section on 15th of October if you want to repeat, but your miles are too many for me. Hike On!!!

Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I went from Kincora to Just north of Vandeventer in one day last summer. Water was good at the spring about a mile and a half before I got to the shelter. Then it was just two days of easy hiking into Damascus. There is water between Vandeventer and Iron Mtn shelter and I believe it was marked with a sign--just off to the right going NOBO.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Looks like we are in for a great NOBO hike.

Maybe we will run into some of you out there. We will hiking on the 11th
    NO K

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Hey friend!! Man I missed you by one year on this hike. I plan on hiking this section on 15th of October if you want to repeat, but your miles are too many for me. Hike On!!!

Miller
    Howdy Miller! Have a great hike--after you get to the top of the ridge above the lake, it is pretty easy going. Have fun! Seatbelt.

Water at Vandeventer is a grunt!! You might want to fill before you get to it. Seems I recall a spring about 3-5 miles south of the shelter. Good hike either direction. I did SOBO Damascus to Erwin and it was a pretty fast section. Once you get up on the ridge from the dam you should be in good shape.

good spring directly on trail 1.7 miles south of the Vandeventer shelter
    better than going down hill for water at the shelter

Who y'all use for shuttle? MRO? How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Who y'all use for shuttle? MRO? How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lone Wolf, pm him thru this site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++