WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: hunting season?

Default hunting season?

Does anyone know if it will be hunting season between Erwin and Hot Springs starting. October. 6?

Images

http://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife.html

Looks like archery season opens September 27 in east Tennessee while muzzleloader and firearms begin well after October 6.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Default NC, too

Need to check the 2014 NC regs, too, as Hot Springs to just beyond Spivey's Gap (US 19W) is either wholly in NC or crisscrosses the NC-TN border to a great degree. Looks like you'd be interested in seasons/regs for Madison and Yancey counties in NC.

AO

Thanks,good info. Will check NC as well

Images

I hike this section frequently during hunting season. I never wear any orange, hunters are required to wear it, and never had any problems in over 30 years. I also sleep with my food as bears are hunted here. Consider yourself lucky if you do see a bear....
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

While I understand that you mean deer/big game hunting season. I do want to note that between, deer, turkey, large game, small game, duck, pheasant, etc. firearms and archery seasons, most states have an open season of some sort at all times of the year.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 09-12-2014 at 14:14.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

DURING Hunting season where ever you are its a smart idea to have some orange blaze on you and dog if hiking with same. I don't care if the hunter is required or not I don't want to be a target.

Images

Here in the TN/NC area the AT is mostly ridgetop travel and not good deer hunting territory. Deer like lower areas with some grass and the USFS have over the years created open field browse areas away from the AT where you will find most deer hunters. As for the short Bear hunting season, they use dogs to tree a bear, then show up and shoot the bear. IMO as long as you don't climb a tree surrounded by hunting dogs, your chances of being shot by bear hunters is pretty much not going to happen. Also since there are many fresh fallen leaves on the trail when hunting season starts, if I think hunters might be near I just make sure to drag my feet a bit to make a little extra noise.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

I look up the seasons and the dates we 're hiking fall during archery and from what I can gather backorder. Bear is not til Nov and firearm Deer is after we finish. Will still wear bright colors. From what I understand about deer hunting with bow is that it is done from a stand and I doubt anyone would put a stand in foot traffic.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    I look up the seasons and the dates we 're hiking fall during archery and from what I can gather backorder. Bear is not til Nov and firearm Deer is after we finish. Will still wear bright colors. From what I understand about deer hunting with bow is that it is done from a stand and I doubt anyone would put a stand in foot traffic.
    You'd be surprised. But effective bow range for accuracy is about 35 yds or less, and you are quite unlikely to be mistaken for a deer by a bowhunter. Same for squirrel or rabbit , etc. A rifle at 150 yds, is a different story. You DO NOT want someone to put a scope on you to have to see what you are. At that instant, you are a finger movement away from dead. This is why you wear orange.

People have died from being scoped, and while it may be the other individuals fault, that won't bring you back.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-12-2014 at 23:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    A lot of folks have had that same idea, some died after being shot from a portable blind when a hunter puts it up, unaware they are near a footpath. Sometimes shot as a result of mistaken identity when they suddenly see something moving (or waking up to that). Most of the time however, its catching an arrow or bullet that missed its intended target many yards away and the walker became the backstop. One of the more frequent comments by hunters who accidentally shoot people is "I never saw them". Though I don't like having to protect myself from morons totin shootin irons into the woods, common sense prevails and I typically start wearing orange in early fall through December. Even during bird hunting season(s). While people in bright colors will continue to fall victim to the less intelligent, it does up your chances of not becoming one.

++ New Posts ++