WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: house hunting

Default house hunting

http://maine.craigslist.org/reb/4663907913.html
    looking for a house for sale and ran across this one, it sounded familar, anyone ever heard of it?

oh god. i would never own a hiker place.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    ".....Monson would be a great place to avoid food riots and the ensuing murderous madness when our society finally tanks.
    No one’s going to loot the local Walmart — because there isn’t one! Problem solved ! "

Funny stuff !

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    oh god. i would never own a hiker place.
    i just came across the thread when i was looking for houses, hell no i wouldn't buy a hostel, when we thru hiked i would choose a motel for me and my dog anytime i could over a hostel! hikers smell and some thought it was a game to not bathe or clean up a little even when they had a chance too
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 09-12-2014 at 22:35.

I wouldn't want to run a hostel either even though I stay at hostels when I can. But it does seem like you get a lot of house for the asking price plus an established business. Could be a good opportunity for the right person.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i just came across the thread when i was looking for houses, hell no i wouldn't buy a hostel, when we thru hiked i would choose a motel for me and my dog anytime i could over a hostel! hikers smell and some thought it was a game to not bathe or clean up a little even when they had a chance too
    "Hell is other people" Sartre

Me thinks someone is color blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post
    ".....Monson would be a great place to avoid food riots and the ensuing murderous madness when our society finally tanks.
    No one’s going to loot the local Walmart — because there isn’t one! Problem solved ! "

Funny stuff !
    yep, apparently the author is a edgy provocative reviewer/writer.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    yep, apparently the author is a edgy provocative reviewer/writer.
    About Robert Sutherland

Robert Sutherland is a travel writer enjoying life in Gainesville, GA. Robert has two adult daughters, six grandchildren, one Kawasaki and a loving girlfriend. ~~ To contact Robert about freelance writing gigs, please use this e-mail address: [email][email protected].View all posts by Robert Sutherland →

Section Hiker

I'd buy it if I could make a living doing it. Been sitting at a desk way too long.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by slbirdnerd View Post
    I'd buy it if I could make a living doing it. Been sitting at a desk way too long.
    I think you hit the problem, I dont think anyone can make a living doing it. If they start to break even I expect another place will open up to split what little profits there is

Here's another "opportunity" in Caratunk, ME.

https://maine.craigslist.org/reb/4661142947.html

Back in the late 70's early 80's my niece and her hubby lived there. Looking at the pictures it sure looks a lot different. Back then cooking was done on an old wood stove, her hubby was "remodeling" parts of the house. I think, at that time, the AT actually used Pleasant Pond Road as part of the AT? I recall seeing an occasional hiker back then.

This place is about a one minute walk from the post office there. Competition, if one wanted to open a hostel, I think would be the Sterling Inn and Northern Outdoors (or whatever it is called these days). Hiking, snowmobiling, fishing, horseback riding, peace and quiet...what more could one want?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I think you hit the problem, I dont think anyone can make a living doing it. If they start to break even I expect another place will open up to split what little profits there is
    Keith Shaw made a damn good living off it. especially with shuttles

I think that hybrid B&B/Hostels might have a better shot of providing a reasonable income.

The math seems pretty tough for hostels unless they operate at large scale and have reasonable occupancy outside the peak months. The math gets difficult for smaller hostels. For example, lets say you have a 10 bed hostel and charge $25/night and offer other services (shuttles, laundry, breakfast) that, on average, yield an additional $10/night per guest (an average since some will want nothing other than a bed). Your maximum revenue is $350/night at full occupancy or $10,500/month. If the hostel is 100% occupied for two months of the year (peak thru hiker season), 50% occupied for another 4 months, and 25% occupied the other six months, your annual revenue is less than $58,000 for the year. And obviously there are hard cash costs involved in running the hostel not to mention your labor and, if you are residing at the same place, the reduction of privacy and the need to always be "on call" if problems arise. I think that it is a tough way to make a living and many hostel owners are at least partially motivated by enthusiasm for the trail, wanting to provide a valuable service, and wanting to be around hikers to hear their stories, etc.

I'm glad the hostels are available and that the owners are willing to provide such a service at affordable prices.

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Keith Shaw made a damn good living off it. especially with shuttles
    On my thru in 1991 I helped Keith feed his cows and we took a drink or two from a bottle of sour mash he kept out in the barn...after we'd loosened up a bit we threw horseshoes for an hour or so and he skinned me for $10.00--the man could throw shoes and I just thought I could...we talked a little about this and that and I mentioned that he seemed to be leading a fine life, and appeared to be happy with it...he volunteered that he liked it just fine, give or take a bad hiker or two, and that he cleared about $70,000.00 a year...
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

Section Hiker

I like the positive anecdotes rather than all the nay-saying. Maybe an illustration of the difference between potential success and failure. I have enjoyed my hostel stays very much and maybe, someday when I don't have a 12 year old at home, explore something like that. I have a marketing and real estate background, and it would be fun to come up with ways to keep the place busy in the off season.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I think that the key is to somehow increase the average revenue per guest, whether that involves having some private rooms running as a B&B or offering additional services to hikers using the hostel, coupled with increasing occupancy in the off season.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

and no work for stays

I like the positive anecdotes rather than all the nay-saying. Maybe an illustration of the difference between potential success and failure. I have enjoyed my hostel stays very much and maybe, someday when I don't have a 12 year old at home, explore something like that. I have a marketing and real estate background, and it would be fun to come up with ways to keep the place busy in the off season.
    If the income from a B&B or Hostel is supplemental, that makes some financial sense. If it will be used as primary income a quick look at the national stats for these endeavors may be in order. Theres not a lot of money in them overall, but a lot of joy if they are a sideline.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++