WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default A saxpick of Manwich anyone?!

I was in a store called Ollies yesterday(they sell everything!!)Hunts has 6 single serving envelopes of manwich ,complete with the fully cooked ground beef and everything for about 7 bucks.Its not the cheapest food you could take backpacking but its ready to eat and the single serving pouches are good so none gets wasted.I myself could live on Manwich!!
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Ummmm!

By the time you dry your own hamburg and add ingredients, the prepacked manwich may be cheaper. Certainly easier.

Images

Streamweaver, good idea!! No Ollies in my area, & their online site doesn't give me the option of buying anything,,, nor can I find it anywhere online. Give me some more detail! How do you heat up----just pour in a pot, heat & serve? How much does each packet weigh,, & how many sandwiches does each packet make? How does it taste---like original manwich? Thanks!!

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Super Target sells tubs of precooked Manwich, which I have had, and it works. You could buy that and put it in ziplock bags, boil water, heat and eat, or screw the heating, I've eaten cold before. Didn't even think about it but that's a great idea for food on the trail when it's cooler.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Spam makes single serving pouches too.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

How do you heat up----just pour in a pot, heat & serve?
    I just learned this trick from some heat-n-serve indian food packages. If it's a foil packet, just submerge the whole packet in boiling water (in your pot) for 2-3 minutes. Ta-da! Hot straight out of the packet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg
    Streamweaver, good idea!! No Ollies in my area, & their online site doesn't give me the option of buying anything,,, nor can I find it anywhere online. Give me some more detail! How do you heat up----just pour in a pot, heat & serve? How much does each packet weigh,, & how many sandwiches does each packet make? How does it taste---like original manwich? Thanks!!
    Ok,to heat up just rip open packet and dump in your pot,or use Scotsghost's idea(which is an excellent one!!) less muss and fuss that way! The pack comes with 6 pouches at 4ozs each ,complete with the sauce and ground beef.4ozs is about the size of one of those small burger patties from the grocery store,so one or two pouches per sandwich is about right,but thats the nice thing about individual servings ,use what you need only.I put some on corn tortillas and it was good! Yup its the original BBQ Manwich.

Lone Wolf: Its funny you mention Spam,My very first trip on the AT was in the white Mountains ,when I was 9 yrs old .It rained from the moment we stepped foot into the woods until the moment we got home!! All we ate were cold spam sandwiches on wet bread!!LOL I havnt touched Spam since!! Its prolly good too,but...
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Images

Oh Yeah,Im not sure where else you can find this stuff (prolly giant or some other supermarket,but if I find another place or one on line Ill let you know.I tried to look it up online to post info and couldnt find it either.

Images

Streamweaver,,, if I can't find any soon (web or store), would you consider picking up some & sending it to me in the mail,,, I'd send ya the $$ for the pouches, postage, & little $$ for your pocket. I love manwiches,, & am getting all hot & bothered (haha) about having me some manwiches on the trail. I've got a trip coming up soon!!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I kinda like that manwich stuff but with the fat content I would imagine that it would go rancid rather quickly unless kept cold once it's removed from its container.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    Ummmm!

By the time you dry your own hamburg and add ingredients, the prepacked manwich may be cheaper. Certainly easier.
    But certainly not lighter! I dehydrate and mix together ground beef and breakfast sausage. I dehydrate them in a warm oven on a bath towel. All or almost all of the saturated fat comes out--you can add olive oil to what you're cooking if you wish. I mix the sausage and GB half-and-half, add some ramen beef seasoning to make up for the taste that is lost when you dry cooked ground beef, and use it in place of any other meat in my recipes on the trail. It dehydrates down to about 20% of its original uncooked weight, and tastes SUPER!

If you only dehydrate one thing, dehydrate your meat...

Just hike.

Thumbs up

Ever try Stagg chili? Comes in a box, single serving. If you are only going out for a couple of nights this is a really good first meal. Open it up, put it in a sealable boil bag heat in water or just pour in your pot and eat with crackers. Here is their web site.

http://www.hormel.com/brands/brandvi...=8&catitemid=3

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Valmet
    Ever try Stagg chili?
    Awesome stuff,,, but definately heavy at 15oz/box,,, definately a 1st meal out, but what a treat in the woods!!!

Here is what I had posted on WB on 1-22-05.
    "A few posters have asked where they can get the Hunt's Manwich sloppy joe in the 4oz. soft pouch. I've bought a box of 6 packages for $6 at BJ's wholesale club and my local Big Lots had individual 4oz packages for $0.79 each. Just to be clear this is a ready to heat and eat food product, not freeze dried. At home you open the top of the package and pop into the microwave for 45-60 seconds. On the trail you can just heat it in the water you are boiling for your meal. You can even eat it as a cold sandwich if you're desperate. The taste is quite good, unlike the ground beef in the soft pouch you can buy at Walmart that tastes kinda strange."

Sounds delicious!

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

I ate the heck out of the precooked manwich last year, and it was great. Mix in some crumbled cheese crackers, and you've got a tasty meal. Leisa bought a few cases of the stuff at a discount grocery outlet that she frequents. I think she ended up paying something like $.79 per package since she bought so much. (You can save a ton shopping at discount grocery places.)
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you're a mile away, and you've got his shoes.

Images

Thanks, Old Fhart! There I go again, not searching WB, lesson learned,,,,,, again.

Hey Big Dawg, If I hadn't posted it, I never would have found it myself. It was posted under pasta or some non-related thread. I also like cake frosting out of the plastic tub for a sugar high, but that's another story!

Images

sweet... I gotta look for those...

Images

Daggone,, I hate when there's a product out there that I want, but can't get my hands on. No manwich pouches @ my local Big Lots, nor at BJ's wholesale-(which is 2 hours away). Neither place can tell if/when they will ever get any in. It seems w/ the WWW, that i would be able to find it & order it online,,,, no luck w/ that route either. Sheeeeesh,, what does a guy have to do to get a lil sloppy joe in a pouch. hahahaha,, just ranting,, sorry. I'm done now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++