WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Platypus Gravityworks

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 4L gravityworks for section hiking next year. I have a family of 5 and this will be our primary means of filtration/purification. I will also use it as my hydration bladder.

Any suggestions / recommendations for GA/NC/TN parts of the trail? I will bring a half a plastic bottle and bandana for pre-filtering if needed. But wondering if this system will work well for the small streams and other trickles of water along the trail.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also just get a Sawyer Mini and a Platy reservoir bag to save a couple of dollars. The filter itself is essentially a Sawyer Mini, and you really only need one bag.

Even if you bought the two bag replacement reservoir kit from Platypus and a Sawyer Mini, you would still save around $45 - ~$55 for the bags and $20 for the filter for a total of something like $75, versus $120 for the full set up from Platypus.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Ditto on just buying the Sawyer Mini and setting it up as a gravity system.

For me and my two boys, I find a pair of 2L bags to be plenty. I use an Evernew Water Carry Bladder for the dirty water (because it screws directly to the Sawyer Mini) and a Platypus hoser (clip off the bite valve) for the clean water. I then used a simple hole punch in the corner of the Evernew to attach a piece of string so that I can hang the bag.

2L Evernew : ~$12
    Sawyer Mini: ~$20 (Walmart)
    2L Hoser: ~$20

Here's the setup being tested in the kitchen.
    Sawyer.jpg
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-16-2014 at 12:06.

Thanks guys. I like the dual use of the sawyer mini too.

Any issues with flow rate?

And issues collecting water in small streams?

Registered User O-H-10 Lil Ohio's Avatar

Personally I would not change to a sawyer mini, we just came out of the hundred mile wilderness and two out of three of us were using a sawyer mini, however, I had a platypus gravity fed along with me because I enjoy having a lot of clean water once I get to the campsite. Getting clean water out of a Sawyer mini took quite a bit of time compared to the filter that comes with the platypus. I get 3 liters of water in less than three and a half minutes with the platypus filter. To be completely honest the Sawyer continue to to be a pain in the butt ,I didn't see any of us that didn't have to blow out rhe filter because of it clogging. That's just saying my preference. Tic Toc

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by O-H-10 Lil Ohio View Post
    Getting clean water out of a Sawyer mini took quite a bit of time compared to the filter that comes with the platypus. I get 3 liters of water in less than three and a half minutes with the platypus filter.
    With my test setup, I was able to filter 2L in four minutes using my Sawyer mini. That was using a brand new filter with about a 2.5' long hose with no priming or squeezing to get things going. Obviously the flow rate will change depending upon what your water source is like and how often (and properly) you back flush the filter.

I usually walk to the water source with just the 2L dirty water bag. I then filter in camp while I do other tasks such as getting my stove and food ready to cook dinner.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with the Sawyer Mini, even when it's the only filter for 3+ people for a weekend.

I would recommend, however, getting a wide-mouth bag. I've been using the standard Sawyer bags in the squeeze set up, and getting those bags to fill up in a small stream is really really difficult. Switched to a 2L Big Zip from Platypus and haven't had any problems filling. The replacement bags for the Gravity Works actually seem better than the Big Zip, though, so I might be making another stop at REI sometime soon to swap out.

I plan on taking the mini, primed and with hose attached, drop it right in my water haul bag, leave the hose dangle below...whala, no fussy bitchy connections.

Would love to hear how much work that is to prime and if it's prone to cross contamination.

Please post a video when your done.

Quote Originally Posted by punchcard View Post
    Would love to hear how much work that is to prime and if it's prone to cross contamination.

Please post a video when your done.

Prime, no worries...cross contamination, just gotta be clean. I don't do videos.

I use the sawyer (the older big model) filter and it works good. For a family of 5, you might prefer the convenience of the platypus system.

Pros and cons for both. But I think it basically comes down to personal preference and convenience.

Update. Love the gravity works 4L for group camping. It's really does a great job quickly.

Another +1 for the gravity-fed, double-bag system. Two bags allows you to collect all the water you'll need at once and set-and-forget it once you get it all back to camp. Cooking water, refilling of water bottles, you'll be pretty well set for the night.

That and the filter for the double-bag system will be larger and should last for many more filters before any issues arise.

I recently accompanied a group of a dozen Boy Scouts on a 3 day backpacking trip. I brought both my Sawyer Squeeze and Sawyer Mini filters. The mini is set-up as a gravity filter. As a group we also had a 4 liter Platypus GravityWorks system. Neither Sawyer filter was used after our first water stop. The Platypus system is far easier and faster, no contest. My Sawyer filters seem suitable for solo use only.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    Another +1 for the gravity-fed, double-bag system. Two bags allows you to collect all the water you'll need at once and set-and-forget it once you get it all back to camp. Cooking water, refilling of water bottles, you'll be pretty well set for the night.

That and the filter for the double-bag system will be larger and should last for many more filters before any issues arise.
    I don't use a double bag, but I am with you on one hanging bag and gravity drain. I have two that I go back and forth with, a 4L and 5L. The 5L has a pre-filter in it so basically I can get water into it any way I can, take all 5L up to camp, have plenty of water to fill up for the hike the next day plus enough to eat, drink, and wash up. Sometimes those water sources are a pain to get to, especially if your tired or running a little late. Hitting it once and filtering back at camp is a plus for me.

I love the Gravity Works, and (though I've never personally compared) I've heard it has a superior flow-rate.

I take a nylon mesh bag like below to pre-filter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291336856288...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dead cheap and weighs nothing.

I also take a bottom of a bottle cut off as a dipping cup. It's not always easy to use the Dirty bag to scoop, and with the pre-filter and cup I can take out any crap from a dirtly little puddle before it goes anywhere near my filter.

Images

We love the Gravity Works. We have the 2L for me and my wife. My typical MO is to filter 2 liters into the clean bag, then get another 2 liters in the dirty bag, and carry them back to camp. Then we have 4 L on one trip. I occasionally will filter water into our water bottles while at the water sources as well for an extra liter or two.

Images

I've used the Gravity Works. It works great. But on trail it takes a while if more than one person is using it. Ie twice as long as if you both had sawyers. Also the Sawyer not mini works a lot faster and with less clogging as well. The weight diff is minimal.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    We love the Gravity Works. We have the 2L for me and my wife. My typical MO is to filter 2 liters into the clean bag, then get another 2 liters in the dirty bag, and carry them back to camp. Then we have 4 L on one trip. I occasionally will filter water into our water bottles while at the water sources as well for an extra liter or two.
    That's the ticket when the water source is a pain to get to. One trip and you're good for the night, and into the next morning (I'll even do it when the water source *isn't* a pain to get to. One less chore for the morning).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    That's the ticket when the water source is a pain to get to. One trip and you're good for the night, and into the next morning (I'll even do it when the water source *isn't* a pain to get to. One less chore for the morning).
    Exactly right! It's a no brainer.

++ New Posts ++