WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I have the 1L Ti evernew pasta pot. First time using it I wanted to COOK! So I made up this habenaro cheese penna chicken which resulted in me permantly blackening the bottom inside of my 80$ pot, and having burnt tasting penne. SO, I only use my TI pot for boiling now, as well as coffee. I stick to the boil bags, I also use it to cook the uncle bens rice still in the bag.
    I had the EXACT same experience with my Evernew pasta pot.Kept it for boiling water only because the width of the bottom makes it efficient but now that I have downsized to a pack with smaller pockets I am back to my trusty SnoPeak 600 which is all I really need for boiling water anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I had the EXACT same experience with my Evernew pasta pot.Kept it for boiling water only because the width of the bottom makes it efficient but now that I have downsized to a pack with smaller pockets I am back to my trusty SnoPeak 600 which is all I really need for boiling water anyway.
    I haven’t cooked in my ti pot yet, only boiled water...need to try it soon. When cooking in my aluminum mug, I have to stir quite a bit and lift if away from the flame when the contents begin to boil too vigorously. I’ll be bummed if I can’t cook in the ti pot.

i guess an alternative is to boil water then add ingredients that don’t need to cook, remove it from the heat and let it finish rehydrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I haven’t cooked in my ti pot yet, only boiled water...need to try it soon. When cooking in my aluminum mug, I have to stir quite a bit and lift if away from the flame when the contents begin to boil too vigorously. I’ll be bummed if I can’t cook in the ti pot.

i guess an alternative is to boil water then add ingredients that don’t need to cook, remove it from the heat and let it finish rehydrating.
    what about adding a pot cozy to your kit to help this process along?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I like my Olicamp XTS pot. It not really UL, but it is anodized aluminum, and it has a heat exchanger on the bottom for efficient heating. It is listed as a vol. of 1.0 L so a bit bigger than 900 mL. I like the fact that the height to width ratio is about 1:1. Easy to get into while keeping down weight and surface area.

http://www.olicamp.com/products-pots/xts-pot
    My wife and I use a 1.7 liter pot but we cook a meal for both of us. Half of that would be more than .9, so for one person ...

But seriously, lots of people do just fine with a 1 liter or less pot. The key is that you can get really cheap aluminum grease pots that are about .9 liters and practice with those. If it works, you are golden.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I use an Evernew 0.9L pot (titanium only; no non-stick coating) to 'cook' solo meals. For me, cooking means boiling water, adding my food, stirring, and then putting the pot in a pot cozy made out of Reflectrix (you can make one from material from Home Depot or buy one ready made from Antigravitygear.com). I wait about 10-15 min while the food continues to 'cook' in the cozy. For example, if your recipe calls for 7 min simmer, just double the time in the pot cozy. Nothing gets burned to the bottom of the pot.

You can put a lot of food in a 0.9L pot. Add some olive oil & some sort of nut mix (equal parts cashews, almonds, & sunflower seeds ground up in a food processor) for extra taste & calories.
    Well said about what cooking on the trail is usually like.

Journal Entries

I did not read the posts since I don't have the time. What I do though is I carry a small pot and eat cold foods. However, the pot is for coffee, tea, bullion cuppa soup and cocoa. See, you get warmed up and you still get your faves.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    what about adding a pot cozy to your kit to help this process along?
    Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    I did not read the posts since I don't have the time. What I do though is I carry a small pot and eat cold foods. However, the pot is for coffee, tea, bullion cuppa soup and cocoa. See, you get warmed up and you still get your faves.
    I have this thing about eating a hot meal...it’s an important part of my experience and feeling of well being. Even in summer, I need a hot meal at the end of a hiking day.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    My wife and I use a 1.7 liter pot but we cook a meal for both of us. Half of that would be more than .9, so for one person ...

Half of 1.7 is less than .9, unless sleep deprivation / senility has caught and overtaken me. And my calculator.

Images

No more cooking.........dry food and FBC!

Images

I cooked two packets of Ramen in my 900ML Evernew pot. It was tight, but the contents stayed in the pot and no boilovers.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I have this thing about eating a hot meal...it’s an important part of my experience and feeling of well being. Even in summer, I need a hot meal at the end of a hiking day.
    Well, you still get something hot and you're not denying yourself much except that this is more of a hot liquid. No messy pot to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Half of 1.7 is less than .9, unless sleep deprivation / senility has caught and overtaken me. And my calculator.
    exactly.

So .9 ought to be enough.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++