WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/22/eric-matthew-frein_n_5860800.html?cps=gravity#176_we-know-that-he-is-armed'We Know That He Is Armed'
    "We know that he is armed," Bivens said.
    Bivens said Frein has been spotted multiple times by law enforcement.
    "Its been 24 hours or better since the last sighting," he said.

Images

If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

The above poster and this statement is on the ATC facebook

he Pennsylvania State Police and the Chief Ranger for the Appalachian Trail, National Park Service, recently asked the ATC to publicize this "FBI Most Wanted" poster regarding fugitive Eric Frein. While there has been no known nexus or field evidence connecting Frein with the Appalachian Trail, we want the A.T. community to be aware and on the lookout.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

apparentlly someone saw him. can't say more. news at 11. channel 29 philly.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I think there's a lot more to this story then the media/cops are letting out...I live in central PA and have heard some crazy news related to this whole incident. I'm not going to pass it on, as I have no idea if it's true or not...But, what I will say is this....First of all, I"m NOT condoning what he did, and he DOES deserve to answer for his crimes; however, if he had shot anyone but a cop, they wouldn't be spending an insane amount of money and time finding this guy. Every time you see a story it's that he's doing a horrible job hiding, and he's breaking down, and etc....But, the fact is, I'm pretty sure we're coming up on 2 months of him evading the police...At what point do you save taxpayers' dollars? Again, I"m not saying let him go, but if he had shot you or I, would there be this great manhunt for him?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    I think there's a lot more to this story then the media/cops are letting out...I live in central PA and have heard some crazy news related to this whole incident. I'm not going to pass it on, as I have no idea if it's true or not...But, what I will say is this....First of all, I"m NOT condoning what he did, and he DOES deserve to answer for his crimes; however, if he had shot anyone but a cop, they wouldn't be spending an insane amount of money and time finding this guy. Every time you see a story it's that he's doing a horrible job hiding, and he's breaking down, and etc....But, the fact is, I'm pretty sure we're coming up on 2 months of him evading the police...At what point do you save taxpayers' dollars? Again, I"m not saying let him go, but if he had shot you or I, would there be this great manhunt for him?

If he had killed civilians and had expressed the intent to continue killing, yes, there would probably be a similar manhunt going on.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I agree with Marta. They generally don't let murderers walk away just because they are hard to capture, no matter who they murdered. When it comes to armed killers walking around the woods I like to backpack in, I'm ok with them spending tax payers $ to get him out. This is not a harmless misunderstood man. This is a man who kills people

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    If he had killed civilians and had expressed the intent to continue killing, yes, there would probably be a similar manhunt going on.
    I agree. There have been similar manhunts in the past for other killers. The part about expressing intent on future killings is a major factor.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I meant good luck if they don't kill him when they catch him. most cops I know would
    SORRY for any missed interpretations.

Crazy police state we live in when people know public servants who will murder someone suspected for a crime??
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Lady out for a walk near a local high school said she walked within 20ft of him and said she saw him carrying a gun. This was 6 miles from where the cops thought he was hiding out.

Okay, so, I still think he would've been forgotten long ago if he had shot anyone but a cop..but, this is what I mean http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-e...ry.html#page=1 Over a million a week? Really? I guess you don't care, 'cause you don't pay PA taxes, but this sucks for me. All I'm saying is, plenty of people are murdered each day, and because this was a cop, we're going all in for it...Listen, I"m not saying he doesn't deserve to be hunted down, but...I guess, what I heard about the true intentions of this guy, and the side story has definitely changed the way I feel about it...I'm sorry, but I don't wanna share it, 'cause it may be BS, but, all I can say is, I may understand where he's coming from...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kidchill:1916207
    Okay, so, I still think he would've been forgotten long ago if he had shot anyone but a cop..but, this is what I mean http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-e...ry.html#page=1 Over a million a week? Really? I guess you don't care, 'cause you don't pay PA taxes, but this sucks for me. All I'm saying is, plenty of people are murdered each day, and because this was a cop, we're going all in for it...Listen, I"m not saying he doesn't deserve to be hunted down, but...I guess, what I heard about the true intentions of this guy, and the side story has definitely changed the way I feel about it...I'm sorry, but I don't wanna share it, 'cause it may be BS, but, all I can say is, I may understand where he's coming from...
    In his effects there is evidence that he has planned to not only kill police, but also commit mass murder of some sort - but you seem to think his true motives are perhaps different and that law enforcement is over-reacting and should tighten up the budget. This isn't a typical murder over a drug deal gone bad, or a domestic violence incident, or other murder with a known motive. This was an execution of a LEO for pleasure or political ideology or revenge, and that makes this guy extraordinarily dangerous, because he will likely kill again AND kill anyone (police or civilian) to help him survive and avoid capture. So yeah, if it costs millions to take him down, it needs to be done.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Crazy police state we live in when people know public servants who will murder someone suspected for a crime??
    If the PA police have evidence directly connecting this guy with the murder of an officer and attempted murder or another then yes he will probably be shot on site.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Lady out for a walk near a local high school said she walked within 20ft of him and said she saw him carrying a gun. This was 6 miles from where the cops thought he was hiding out.
    if this is true then why are police having such a hard time finding this guy.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    If the PA police have evidence directly connecting this guy with the murder of an officer and attempted murder or another then yes he will probably be shot on site.
    Is this the new "above the law" due process??
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Just a few comments on this issue, and let me be open about this: I am a 67 year old retired police officer and know a number of PA State Police, so I cannot claim I am neutral on the issue. Here's some of the things I have heard:

Living here for most of my life, I can tell you that the PA woods in this area are dense. Troopers tell me that, before the leaves started to drop, helicopters were almost useless because you can't see through the canopy. Pull up google maps and you'll mostly see a dense carpet of green and nothing beneath.
    The use of infrared at night was limited: the area is full of deer; archery season has begun but rifle season doesn't start until the end of November. All those deer and any other larger mammals such as bear show up on infrared just as a human would. Night vision goggles for the troopers on the ground also limit your view.
    The area they are searching is about 5 miles or so by the same, which is at least 25 square miles of wooded and rocky area. The area is full of unattended cabins used only in summer or during rifle deer season. Hopefully the dropping of the leaves will assist in the search.
    Frein is very familiar with the area and very knowledgeable about survival techniques. Police have found caches which they describe as bunkers which they suspect he has used, along with the AK and the pipe bombs.
    In addition, now that archery season has begun, he is probably moving at night. Police have found cayenne pepper spread on trails, which plays hell with dog noses.
    If the guy in North Carolina could survive for 5 months, so can others. I suspect Frein does not want to kill civilians, but who knows what could happen if he feels threatened. How do you think the public would take it if the cops left and someone else was killed?
    I don't want to think that the state police would intentionally kill him if he walked out with his hands up, but my guess is that they would shoot first and worry about it later if they saw him with a weapon in his hands. They already have the legal justification for it, even if he is running away. He may already be out of the area and the search is not going to be successful, but they can't just quit because it costs too much.

You foks can take all this with a grain of salt from a retired cop if you prefer, but I like the comment by CELTIC BUCK, shoot the SOB and call it a good day.

By the way, I did do a day hike in the Palmerton area, climbing up the east side of Lehigh Gap on the AT and back down the blue blazed winter trail yesterday. I took along a pistol (I am licensed), which I almost never do on a hike. As I was walking on the still heavily leafed trail at the top of the Gap, I thought how dumb it would be to face an actor with a high power scoped rifle with a pistol, but it gave me some unwarranted comfort anyway. I keep hoping they get him soon.

I did see only one pair of hikers yesterday, and true to the old story, you'll never run across another hiker until you stop to take a leak.

Any person that doesn't want to be found and can stay off the grid is very, very difficult to find, almost impossible. And as mentioned above, both infrared and nightvision devices are not that much of an asset in dense foliage; the trees/foliage can actually cause them to be less than useful due to a sort of reflection effect.

Images

Someone once told me that time is an asset - my bet is that this guy gets found at some point.

Of course, if you have not heard about it, Google "Maine Hermit"

Could be a while

OK folks some of you are getting out of hand. Please refrain from the political posts, the pro and anti police rants, and in particular the vigilantism. The thread is open for the safety of hikers in the area.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++