WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Shuttle recs and cost from Fontana dam to Winding stars gap or Rock Gap mid late oct?

I'm planning to do the section between winding stair gap and fontana dam mid late October. Any shuttle recs? If do how much as would like to drop my truck at fontana dam area....anyone want to split shuttle costs? Hoping to catch leaves changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey. I also have a planned hike in October mid October. I plan to end at Fontana Dam and start at Wayah Bald. It is possible we can self-shuttle. As I finalize my schedule, I will see if our schedules work out.

I will do my 46 miles in 3 days over an extended weekend, starting at Wayah Bald hiking to car at Fontana Dam hopefully.

Jeff and Nancy Hoch own the Hiker Inn right outside of stecoah gap. jeff is about as good of a shuttler as they come. Reasonable and proffessional.

On a side note, I really miss the NOC, its a great little town. I walked from Wayah to Noc in a day (17-19 miles a believe) And that left time for a beer abd burger at the "trail left by bridge" establishment. Great burger! The climb up out of NOC along with the prior climb up jacobs ladder are no joke

sassafras shelter is nice and should have water
    Brown fork gap shelter has a pesky cat (in april it did)
    cable gap shelter has an excellent stream right in front of it and i believe some tenting areas
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    Hey. I also have a planned hike in October mid October. I plan to end at Fontana Dam and start at Wayah Bald. It is possible we can self-shuttle. As I finalize my schedule, I will see if our schedules work out.

I will do my 46 miles in 3 days over an extended weekend, starting at Wayah Bald hiking to car at Fontana Dam hopefully.
    Keep in touch...sounds good..I'm planning on 4 days 60miles from wsg

Anyone know about overnight parking at Fontana Dam? Safe?

My AT guide shows parking at Dam Visitor Center and NC 28.Overnight allowed? safe for 2 nights 3 days?

Anyone know about overnight parking at Fontana Dam? Safe?

My AT guide shows parking at Dam Visitor Center and NC 28.Overnight allowed? safe for 2 nights 3 days?
    iT IS WELL LIT, AND SAFE PARKED THERE MANY TIMES (2 OR 3 THAT IS)
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Parked there for over a week last year, very safe, patrolled. Good free hot Showers and gift shop with cold drinks for when you finish.

Images

ive parked at the dam or the end of the road or at the marina quite a bit over the last decade and have never had a problem....

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Thx... Spoke to her... Very nice and reasonable...

Journal Entries

I left my 4 Runner at Fontana Dam for three days in July without any problems. Three of my sons and I hiked from the Dam to the NOC. Our shuttle service told me that the dam is closely watched day and night as it is a national security concern. I am glad I parked the car at the dam as on our return back via the shuttle, the road across the dam was closed.

The shuttle service we used is called Gene's Shuttle Service. 828-479-7457. Gene charged us $50 for the 40 mile shuttle back to the dam. As a fair warning, Gene is 82 or 83 years of age, drives his van with one hand and spits out the window as he shares his stories of growing up in the dam area BEFORE the dam was constructed. He has family buried on land that can only be reached by boat, and the gov't ferries family members over to the cemetery every two weeks... free. Part of the dam agreement.

I enjoyed his stories. But my boys got a kick how Gene drove the van, fast, like a teenager!

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

A blue hair that drives fast!! Funny...hike inn wants $95 back to wsg which is 2x as far seems fair...

I just completed Neel Gap to Fontana Dam yesterday. I stayed at The Hike Inn, left my car with them, Jeff shuttled me to Neels, and picked me up at the dam. Jeff and Nancy were very nice, encouraging, and had a wealth of information to share. I recommend them. Otherwise the dam looked like a safe place to leave a vehicle.
    "Difficulties are just things to overcome, after all" Ernest Shackleton​

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
    I just completed Neel Gap to Fontana Dam yesterday. I stayed at The Hike Inn, left my car with them, Jeff shuttled me to Neels, and picked me up at the dam. Jeff and Nancy were very nice, encouraging, and had a wealth of information to share. I recommend them. Otherwise the dam looked like a safe place to leave a vehicle.
    Thx how was the temps at night 45-50?

I don't think it was even that cold. Only on the last day did the temp and humidity drop, hopefully they will stay lower. During my nine day trip the challenge was to stay cool (and dry) not warm. More summer like than fall like. I had an excellent time though and can't wait for the next section whenever that will be.
    "Difficulties are just things to overcome, after all" Ernest Shackleton​

Default Wayah Bald to Fontana dam

Hey AO2134, do you have shuttle plans? I'm doing the same section in mid Oct too. Staying at Hike Inn on a Friday, getting a shuttle to Wayah Bald Saturday. Hike Inn picks up at the dam if you stay with them. Would be glad to share a shuttle/cost to Wayah.

When are y'all planning to start and finish?

Very safe at the Fontana Dam visitor center, just park in the upper lot (above the level of the visitor center and SHOWERS!). I left my car there a couple weeks with no problem. Love the ORIGINAL Hike Inn (have not stayed at the imitator in Georgia). Be sure to buy some of Nancy's homemade salsa--worth every penny of the $5 per jar.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Thx Jd...plan to do Glassmine Gap to fontana in few weeks ...hoping to complete in 4 days...should be a good challenge...any idea how late in season showers are open?

I'm planning a trip from NOC to Fontana in the very near future. Talked to The Hike Inn the other day and they charge $50 for two from Fontana to NOC. They said you should get your shuttle reservation in now if you're going to need one anytime in the next 4-6 weeks. Based on what ya'll are saying that seems reasonable although we may just have nearby family do the drop off/pick up. Lots of good info from these threads and sounds like there will be a few folks on that section of the trail at about the same time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++