WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stephyhutch View Post
    I would like to set off NOBO earlier in the season, beginning of February. Although, weather-wise, we are looking towards early March. No hard dates yet, but we are closing in on them.
    Can you say, "Winter at 6,000'"?
    Be safe.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My dog I will be hiking NOBO starting early-mid March '17.

Good luck to all of you guys and girls! Can't wait to follow along!
    Ryan "RyNO" Johnson
    NOBO 2016
    February 27th - July 1st
    www.youtube.com/RyanJohnsonAT2016

I think I'm finalizing (getting approval) for another attempt with the wife. Gotta have a good support system back home ya know, but I haven't made it "official" yet. haha
    - Trail name: Thumper

Sobo June 15
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

We are heading NOBO Mid March 2017.

You say you will be the really slow guy ... and I will be right behind you in 2017. Plan on taking my time and enjoying every minute of not being at work. A bad day of hiking has got to be better than a good day at work.

Plan to start either late February to early March 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by RMillerWV View Post
    I'm planning a Flip Flop starting from Rockfish Gap, VA or Harpers Ferry in 2017.
    I'm also planning on doing a flip flop from Harpers Ferry starting April 2017.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jemster View Post
    You say you will be the really slow guy ... and I will be right behind you in 2017. Plan on taking my time and enjoying every minute of not being at work. A bad day of hiking has got to be better than a good day at work.
    When are you planning on starting. Me March 1st or the 18th. 95% the first!

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=StuckInFlorida;2052731]We are in the researching phase of planning a flip-flop starting in Harper's Ferry, going north, then back to HF and going south. We are also in Florida.

I'm still in the oh-crap-what-are-we-doing phase though. We'll see. It would be me (Mom) and twin 14 year old daughters. THEY are the driving force behind this so I have to figure out if *I* can do it.

Heres what I was told by. 2015 thru hiker while I was doing 133 miles on the AT this past June. He said if you can make it to Franklin NC you can hike the whole thing. I went from Neels Gap to Fontana Dam. Awesome hike. Some tuff very little easy. But they say Ga is the hardest part of the trail. Either way around it I'm heading out March 1st for my NOBO hike. Just fine tuning everything and can't wait to get back on the trail. If you care to read my journal. It's in the Journal section. I also have a YouTube channel with lots of videos of the trail on there
    www.youtube.com/kissimmeesux

Planning to start the first week in April 2017. See ya on the trail perhaps.

I'm a 42y/o female looking to leave anytime from February 13- March 6. I prefer leaving on a Monday - Thursday. I live in Northeast Georgia and would like to find a partner close by to train together beforehand, also to identify compatibility. I'm comfortable to hike solo sometimes too. I'm also happy with a group. I look forward to meeting others on the trail adding/subtracting from the group but would prefer to have that "one" person to support one another. I also want to make the most of my time to appreciate the experience. Although I want to make good mileage each day, I'm going to heed advice from the experts and listen to my body. I have 10+ years of long distance backpacking but have not done so in 15 years.

I will be joining you out on the Trail as a flip-flopper. I will start near Luray on April 9th and head north. Though I have done some crazy/adventurous things before, I have never done anything like quite like this. COWG

I'm in the same phase plus. I, too, am a flip-flopper but plan on starting near Luray on Apr 9 and head north. I have been working up a plan for a bit over a month now and what I know for sure is what I know is a lot less than what I hope to know before then. Hopefully, the overwhelmed phase will give way to some peace once I gain some of the knowledge and relax. I'm old enough to know that will be so, but perhaps my angst is magnified by that of those around me. The good news, I suspect, is any adventure is made all the more wonderful by accepting that the journey itself is indeed the goal. I have a website that I just published yesterday, one that needs much tweaking and will undoubtedly be a work in progress for the next 12 months or so. www.wingadwalks.com if you're interested. Hope to see you out there. Stay healthy and excited. COWG

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cworth42 View Post
    I'm a 42y/o female looking to leave anytime from February 13- March 6. I prefer leaving on a Monday - Thursday. I live in Northeast Georgia and would like to find a partner close by to train together beforehand, also to identify compatibility. I'm comfortable to hike solo sometimes too. I'm also happy with a group. I look forward to meeting others on the trail adding/subtracting from the group but would prefer to have that "one" person to support one another. I also want to make the most of my time to appreciate the experience. Although I want to make good mileage each day, I'm going to heed advice from the experts and listen to my body. I have 10+ years of long distance backpacking but have not done so in 15 years.
    I'm heading out March 1st Approach trail. Anytime before that and I'll just be colder. I plan on being cold, wet cold and wet, muddy, and sweaty.

I'm also thinking closer to March. My hesitation is that March 1st is a popular start day, I want to get at least a week head start to reduce the crowds. Are you training any in GA before then? I hope to see you on the trails. Good luck!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cworth42 View Post
    I'm also thinking closer to March. My hesitation is that March 1st is a popular start day, I want to get at least a week head start to reduce the crowds. Are you training any in GA before then? I hope to see you on the trails. Good luck!
    Cworth42. I was thinking of doing the approach trail to Neels gap this sept sometime. Not sure yet. I've done everything from Springer to Fontana Dam. But I'd like to try the Approach trail. So was maybe thinking of doing that section for 5 days and it would be a final shake down hike. I'll keep you posted on what I do. But I hope to see you on the trail. As far as crowds. There will be a huge amount of people leaving everyday from mid Feb to mid April. I started on a Friday April 1st at Springer Mt at 2 pm. I was number 32 for that day alone. The crowds will thin out by Neels gap if not then by Franklin NC. 80% give up by then.

Yes Jam as well. When do you intend to depart?

Yes I am as well. When do you intend to depart?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++