WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking after joint replacement

Has anyone here had one or more joints replaced and successfully completed the AT, either a thru or by section-hiking? If so, what challenges if any did you overcome or had to compensate for? I still have the dream to take the ultimate walk in the woods, but I will have to have one hip and both knees replaced, hopefully beginning next year.

Gramps -- While I have not done a major thru-hike yet (plan is '18, after retirement); I have had both hips & both knees replacement and have no problems walking or day hiking. I really don't think the replacements will be a problem. -- Grizhicks

Images

I thought I remembered this thread... http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...nd-Thru-Hiking

Hopefully you can find some good info and encouragement!

Jane

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grizhicks View Post
    I really don't think the replacements will be a problem. -- Grizhicks
    They generally won't be if you are careful.....you'll just end up needing revision within your lifetime (which aint fun).
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Journal Entries

I had my left hip replaced, then 3 months later, I had both knees replaced at the same time. I had a long recovery. I am now able to walk a section of the AT/LT that is close to our home. I walk almost every day for about 2 hours. I use an Ash hiking pole, that I cut in the woods at our house. I would not have been able to walk without it, especially down hill. I also carry a can of WD40 for the joints, (that's just some replacement parts humor). I am 62 and semi-retired and the walking is the best part of the day. Take care, Mike g up in VT

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrabo View Post
    I had my left hip replaced, then 3 months later, I had both knees replaced at the same time. I had a long recovery. I am now able to walk a section of the AT/LT that is close to our home. I walk almost every day for about 2 hours. I use an Ash hiking pole, that I cut in the woods at our house. I would not have been able to walk without it, especially down hill. I also carry a can of WD40 for the joints, (that's just some replacement parts humor). I am 62 and semi-retired and the walking is the best part of the day. Take care, Mike g up in VT
    Mine will be the right hip and both knees. And as it goes, I probably will be looking at age 63-64 before I can give it a try. So how did that go, doing both knees at once? If you had it to do over, would you do both at once or one at a time? Advantages and disadvantages to doing both together?

Gramps, just wanted to wish you well on your up coming replacements. My Mother had one done and in hind sight wishes she'd had them both done at once and been done with it...for whatever that's worth. I'll likely have to have this done as well, just not quite a candidate yet. I've opted for the injections thus far and they seem to be working for me, kinda like a band-aid at this point....any who, good luck, and wish you a speedy recovery, sounds like your head is in the game to get back out there and fight...awesome! good for you

Hi Gramps, I'm 55 an ex marathoner, ultras, and accumulated 100 military jumps. My knees are older than I. I've got bone on bone in the left. My orthopedic at UVa flatly refused to
    put a new knee in before my 2015 thru attempt. "Come back when you finish" I get synvisk injections every 5 months, seems to help a bit.
    I thought the new generation joints were supposed to hold up better. My Doc does not think so. He seemed to think day hikes would be fine .
    Good luck with your hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Has anyone here had one or more joints replaced and successfully completed the AT, either a thru or by section-hiking? If so, what challenges if any did you overcome or had to compensate for? I still have the dream to take the ultimate walk in the woods, but I will have to have one hip and both knees replaced, hopefully beginning next year.
    I have hiked many rough miles with people who have had knee replacements and they seemed to do fine on all terrain.

OTOH in sections of the White Mountains I have seen that hip replacements are an issue. There are a lot of stretching and twisting steps which can put too much torque on the joint. I never saw any section where it COULDN'T be done, but in the northern presidentials, for example, there were times every step had to be taken with care, sometimes best taking some steps off the trail to get smaller and straighter increments. Very slow going. And a fall and dislocation would have been awful.

If the desire is there I wouldn't discourage it (there are mile after mile even in the Whites you'll just sail along) but I'd say you need to be prepared for occasions when you will need to take it EXTREMELY slow & careful and look for short off-trail detours that may be time-consuming and rough in their own way, but demand less torque.

++ New Posts ++