WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I expect to be in the 30lb range when I start, especially since I'll probably have a few extra items to deal with winter (will depend on what the year brings though). I have most of my gear but it will take a few more trips to get things finalized.

Also, here is a fun article about pack weight from an expert:
    http://www.backpacker.com/trips/geor...uru/#bp=0/img1

By the Mountain Crossings method, the ideal load is 30 to 35 pounds, including food and water, for early spring conditions, or 25 to 30 pounds for summer, all stuffed into a 3,800-cubic-inch pack. - See more at: http://www.backpacker.com/trips/geor...u/3/#bp=0/img1

Mac & cheese between towns - natural fire, wood chips. Small pot with handle and lid. 10 deg sb. emergency
    tent. umbrella. long johns. swim suit. spork. small platypus. 3.5 lb. pack. keen sandels. 1 waterproof socks.
    2 1/4 sock pairs. Sloppy old hat. undershirt. shorts. light wool sweater. cotton gloves. 8 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jred321 View Post
    Also, here is a fun article about pack weight from an expert:
    http://www.backpacker.com/trips/geor...uru/#bp=0/img1

By the Mountain Crossings method, the ideal load is 30 to 35 pounds, including food and water, for early spring conditions, or 25 to 30 pounds for summer, all stuffed into a 3,800-cubic-inch pack. - See more at: http://www.backpacker.com/trips/geor...u/3/#bp=0/img1
    I like that article and the suggested backing list on the last page. That's almost exactly what I am using for a 26 day jaunt through the aussie alpine region in Nov/Dec only I use a canister stove. Should be similar weather to the AT in March. Mines down to 27.3 lb with 5 days food and a couple of lts of water for that trip.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I think that you will find that if your total pack weight is 25 pounds, you will be among the lightest of hikers actually on the trail. The number of ULers is very much overrepresented on White Blaze vs. the folks who actually seem to be on the trail. Over two weeks on the AT this spring, I only met a couple of hikers who had a pack weight much lower than mine (14 pound base weight plus avg of 6-8 pounds of consumables for total of 20-23 pounds). Same is true for my month on the Colorado Trial. Nearly everyone had a heavier pack and I'm definitely not a true UL backpacker.
    I could not agree more. I carry a white gas folding stove and about 1000 ml of white gas, six days of food,extra underwear,shirt and pair of sox,packable down,hat,gloves. I also carry at least 2-1/2 liters of water, with the provision to carry up to 4 liters if needed. I'm livin' large on the trail and my total is~ 27.5lbs. I'm a big guy ~240lbs. Could I save weight, absolutely. I enjoy a "comfy,safe" life on the trail and carry this weight with no problem. I forgot my umbrella and rain kilt! Could I go faster with less,absolutely again! Everyone is different!

I pretty much figure that if it's going to help me complete the trail in some way it's worth at leaat considering the extra weight. I have a pad that I got a good deal on, but it's a little heavier than I'd like it to be. However, if I'm willing to carry extra weight in any "department" it's probably the sleep department. I feel like rest is super important and if I don't sleep well I'm not going to hike well.

I may not feel that way about something like an extra pot ot mug or something since I don't cook so much as boil water and I always have too much food as it is.

It's about choices.

Thanks again for all the continued input! I'll be tweaking my gear again and heading back out in the next week or two.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Images

People, my circle of friends included, tend to brag about carrying a relatively heavy pack and how they like their "comforts" in camp.... right up until the time they finally try some lightweight backpacking THEN they realize they have been wasting effort for years.

Try it once! doesn't have to be Ultralight, just lightweight, for a start. Lose the damn camp chairs, extra shoes, many changes of clothing, pots and pans, liquid fuel stoves, etc, etc, and try it.

I cannot describe how wonderful an experience it is to basically not even notice your pack on long backpacking trips (like the AT, CT, whatever). Imagine hiking along and not noticing your backpack and still having relative comfort at your camps? This is what I term "freedom of the hills" (stolen from a mountaineering book by that name, pretty much the Bible of mountain climbing).

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I cannot describe how wonderful an experience it is to basically not even notice your pack on long backpacking trips (like the AT, CT, whatever). Imagine hiking along and not noticing your backpack and still having relative comfort at your camps? This is what I term "freedom of the hills" (stolen from a mountaineering book by that name, pretty much the Bible of mountain climbing).
    That breakpoint for me is below 20 pounds. Whether I'm at 16, 18, or 20, my enjoyment is pretty much the same. For me, 20 pounds is about where I'm at with my base weight, a liter of water and two days of food. 25 or below is still pretty good. The experience starts to degrade in the high 20s and goes downhill above 30.

I suspect this breakpoint will differ for hikers based on backpack, body weight, body type, and overall fitness.

Images

That breakpoint for me is below 20 pounds. Whether I'm at 16, 18, or 20, my enjoyment is pretty much the same. For me, 20 pounds is about where I'm at with my base weight, a liter of water and two days of food. 25 or below is still pretty good. The experience starts to degrade in the high 20s and goes downhill above 30.
    Very true, except below about 18 or so my pack isn't even noticeable, meaning if you can get a base around 12, you can carry a liter of water and 2-3 days of food and basically be "pack free". Definitely a point where pack weight starts to really not matter noticeably, which is why I haven't really pursued true UL (base weights less than 10 lbs).

Images

... The number of ULers is very much overrepresented on White Blaze vs. the folks who actually seem to be on the trail. Over two weeks on the AT this spring, I only met a couple of hikers who had a pack weight much lower than mine (14 pound base weight plus avg of 6-8 pounds of consumables for total of 20-23 pounds). Same is true for my month on the Colorado Trial. Nearly everyone had a heavier pack and I'm definitely not a true UL backpacker.
    True about the CT, at least from what I've seen. The CT packs I notice are very similar to the packs I noticed heading north on the AT in Georgia. Yikes!

BUT: I definitely disagree one aspect of your first statement, somewhat. Yes, early on the AT there are heavy packs all over the place. But up north, this just ain't true. We just completed a 100-mile hike of the whites along the AT, southbound, and counted 190 NOBO AT thru hikers in that one week, meaning we passed by a significant fraction of AT thru hikers that had made it that far. THIS group had relatively lightweight packs, many were UL. Lots and lots of ULA packs, for example, cuben fiber ponchos, trail runners, stoveless, etc. (not that I like being stoveless, I like my coffee, Coffee!).

Let's see.... lots of heavy packs in the south, mostly lightweight in the north heading north... Does this tell you something about pack weight increasing your odds of a successful AT thru hike???? Sure does. OK, so lots of heavyweight-thinkers have completed the trail. Great! I bet the percentage of completers correlates well with lightweight pack tendencies.

Yes KillerKarma, it is all about choices. You can choose to do some research, spend a little money and greatly increase your trail comfort, or you can listen to those that refuse to even think about modifying their Heavy Ways.

Most lightweight backpackers were once not lightweight. I sincerely doubt that many heavyweight backpackers were ever lightweight, meaning lightweight backpackers know the difference, heavyweight-ers don't. Who you going to listen to? Your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Let's see.... lots of heavy packs in the south, mostly lightweight in the north heading north... Does this tell you something about pack weight increasing your odds of a successful AT thru hike???? Sure does. OK, so lots of heavyweight-thinkers have completed the trail. Great! I bet the percentage of completers correlates well with lightweight pack tendencies.
    That's very interesting and makes sense. It would be interesting to know how many of those lightweight thru hikers started out heavy and swapped into lighter gear as they headed north, or started out with light gear.

Great to see what kind of weight everybody is carrying. Being new to long distance hiking---and just receiving the last of my gear---I was concerned I was sliding towards the heavy (DARK) side. My spread sheet says I'm at 16.9 lbs with only a few personal items to add. I'll be under 20 lbs base, so 26-28 lbs fully provisioned. My goal was always under thirty.

Thank you, everyone!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

My advice for new hikers, in regard to pack weight is: For no reason go over 30 pounds fully loaded. Carrying a 20-25 pound pack is very possible. Under 20 pounds is preferable if you can get there.

Fully dressed Hennessy Deep Jungle in a ULA Catalyst is 16.25. I'm feeling good about that since it includes an oversized tarp and a neoair. That leaves a lot of room south of 30 lbs. Camp long johns to sleep in, down sweater, Jetboil still has me under 20.

I don't want to offend anyone but i just can't get past thinking about base weight as so much BS.
    And I know this subject has been done to death.
    It seems to me that the realistic way to plan is how heavy your whole kit is without water and food these two will vary by circumstance and experience.
    Do a week hike with a 70 pound kit and you won't do it a second time. Do a week hike with a vapor ware kit of 20 pounds or less and you probably will not do that again either! Don't ask me how I know.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I hike with my wife and so I carry a majority of the weight. We have a two person tent and cookware for two as well. When we leave out for a section hike my pack will start out with as much as 39 pounds fully loaded with food and water.

Images

I am at about 30lbs with days worth of food, water and some whiskey.

Not passing any judgment here but in April I was at Uncle Johnnies ending my section hike............thru hikers were putting their packs on the scale before they hiked north...........38 lbs was the LOWEST. 48lbs the heaviest.

Really?

To me sub 30 with a full load of water and food is a great place to be, eat your way to a lighter pack then resupply

I've been through a lot of outdoor sports in my life. Trends or phases where I have been deep into kayaking, mountain biking, snowboarding (which I adore!), ATVing, etc. All of these are individualized recreations, not team sports. From reading posts here, and dozens of books, I have come to realize that hiking is no different. A whitewater kayaker paddles the boat that he/she has the way that they want. There is no right or wrong way, just your way for you. The same goes for all the sports I listed. Snowboarders use different boards---long, short, wide---with different bindings and boots. And so in hiking.

I know that we all know this. HYOH is the mantra of every hiker everywhere. Find what works for you and do it. Within certain logical parameters for safety (as in any sport), there is no right or wrong way. No "better way", dreamed up by anyone else, to do what is right for you once you've found it. Everyone hiking will find the balance of comfort and convenience, weight and expense.

And yet, in spite of universal acceptance of this axiom, when the subject of pack weight comes up, self-superiority rears it's ugly head. The SUL's will claim they are better off carrying less, and the heavy weights will state with surety that they are better off with more.

And round and round we go once again!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Journal Entries

I really prefer under 20. I like not noticing my pack. Normal 3 season, usually about 20-21 with 5 day food and 2 l water

well...as much as I have tried t get under 35 lbs....it's not. Will start in what will most likely be a cold pre-spring in 2015...looking at 40 lbs. I had most of my gear, and did not want to spend more to re-outfit. So enduring the 45 - 60 days of heavy cold weather gear. oh well. Won't make or break the deal. I start on March 2, from Springer. Doing the Approach Trail

Images

I have a number of gear spreadsheets for 3-season, light 3-season, and ultralight. The base weights are between 11-15 lbs. If interested, please send me you email in a pm and I will forward.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++