WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    She did a TEDx Youth presentation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbsoHvlRSo
    Very impressive. The AT is obviously going to be only one of many of her accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Very impressive. The AT is obviously going to be only one of many of her accomplishments.
    Yeah, when I think of how I was when I was 15...Let's just say her parents would be smart to keep her away from 15-year old punks like myself

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    She did a TEDx Youth presentation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsbsoHvlRSo
    ...she says something very interesting at 9:28 bravo! on that point.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...she says something very interesting at 9:28 bravo! on that point.
    Oops...@ 8:00 min.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Oops...@ 8:00 min.
    Definitely worth the watch to hear that.

Thanks Chipmunk!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    this whole fastest, youngest, oldest, slowest record BS is out of control. i got the record for quitting 2 years in a row in gorham, n.h. whoopee! this young lady by her own admission is putting notches in her belt
    Could not agree more.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Semantics, contests, and the like are something I want to get away from when hiking. They seem to be the tools of the anti nature and outdoor lover. I shutter when I think how many trail related assets of clubs and the ATC get wasted on such matters. Almost makes my interest and love of trails lesson. What is this a trail forum or a courtroom ?

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Semantics, contests, and the like are something I want to get away from when hiking. They seem to be the tools of the anti nature and outdoor lover. I shutter when I think how many trail related assets of clubs and the ATC get wasted on such matters. Almost makes my interest and love of trails lesson. What is this a trail forum or a courtroom ?
    I don't think the ATC or their affiliates/associated clubs waste much (or any) effort to promote competitive activities on the trail. They're aware of their mission, and promoting competition is most definitely not part of their mission.

As far as Chipmunk's hike goes, I don't believe ATC had anything to do with it. Nor am I remotely concerned about the words used by any particular newspaper article to describe her effort or motivation. But I'll tell you what, she certainly was the youngest thru-hiker represented at the Gathering this last weekend. Seems like a fine young woman who deserves pride in her accomplishment -- and who's done her parents proud as well.

She hiked her own hike. Isn't that what you guys are always advocating??

I find it funny how people are bashing the parents for following along in an RV and keeping tabs with a GPS. She is 15 years old! If they would have drop her off at Springer with all the right equipment, a cell phone and a credit card and said,"call us if you have a problem, if not we will you pick you up in Katahdin." those parents would be bashed in the media and put up on child endangerment charges if anything happened to her. Also I think in this day and age a unaccompanied minor would have harder time going it alone. She would have a tough time getting a room at a hotel or hostel. Spitting a room with other hikers...would any adult male want their name on that registry??? Also you need to be 18 to use credit card, carry a pocket knife or pepper spray, or be out pass curfew in most towns.

Also there is a big difference between 15 year olds in the 1960's, 70's, 80's and today teens. At 15 I was wandering round much more freely an was doing more things on my own then kids today do. I'm am unfortunately guilty of being a helicopter parent. I think most 15 year old kids today would go into the fetal position, if they were dropped off alone at a trail head and told tto hike 15 miles down trail alone.

Great video. Still many will discount what she achieved.

If your daughter looked like chipmunk and was 15 years old would you let her sleep on the trail with a bunch of horny(5 guys to 1 girl on the trail) drunk, stoned, 20 to 24 year old college kids?

Just saying….
    Last edited by JohnnySnook; 10-15-2014 at 04:43.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySnook View Post
    Great video. Still many will discount what she achieved.

If your daughter looked like chipmunk and was 15 years old would you let her sleep on the trail with a bunch of horny(5 guys to 1 girl on the trail) drunk, stoned, 20 to 24 year old college kids?

Just saying….
    I'm not sure thats a real accurate portrayal of who is on the trail, though it may fit some. Those I have run into don't seem to fit that description outside of a few stumble bums that wander in to a shelter poorly placed too close to a road.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    I'm not sure thats a real accurate portrayal of who is on the trail, though it may fit some. Those I have run into don't seem to fit that description outside of a few stumble bums that wander in to a shelter poorly placed too close to a road.
    Well - I'm glad to here the stories about the use of drugs, booze, and sex by the younger crowd on the trail is not true.
    To bad in the rest of society that is far from the case. From the pictures I've seen young people smoking joints and carrying cases of beer or bottles of hard liquor around seem to be the norm. In many cases water bottles seem to be drained of water and filled with a magical trail liquid?

I mean no upstanding senior in high school or 19 year old frat boy would think about getting a freshman girl intoxicated?

No matter how clean and great a student a young girl can be there will always be a guy that makes her heart stop and get the butterflies going. Hormones are something no one can control. I guess a sober pitstop at high attitude with a great view could be just as good for the right guy.

I'm of the middle aged crowd so I hope what we did in our youth hasn't been lost and I meet a nice woman my age to share a fine cocktail, wild mushroom soup, and a few smokes for a zero or nero and maybe some tent magic. Does this ever happen???

Just saying….
    Last edited by JohnnySnook; 10-16-2014 at 00:32.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    True, I think for the most part every AT shelter is not a scene from Animal House. However as a 40ish hiker who has a Teen daughter of his own would, I would not want to be alone in a small lean to shelter with some 15 year old girl. She would have the shelter to herself, and I would pitch my hammock just outside and I will be up all night making sure he is OK and no 2 or 4 legged animal messed with her. I give the parents credit, I would no let my kid hike it alone at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by NLaeger View Post
    I had the privilege of hiking with and around Chipmunk while she was doing her Thru Hike. She was one of the most dedicated hikers I have ever seen! She would laugh at the idea of slack packing and she would get back on the trail, literally, in the exact spot she got off of the trail every day. Yes she was supported by Mama Chip and the ChipMobile but she carried a stove,a tent, extra cloths, and food with here everyday. If you were to look in her pack she had everything that any other hiker would have...Yes we actually had to use those things most nights where she didn't but she still chose to carry them. At 15 she wore knee braces, just like the rest of us...The trail took its toll on her just as much as it did the rest of us. She hiked when she was sick and she hiked when she really didn't feel like it. That girl has more grit then most of us do. There were mornings (and she will hate me for putting this out there) that she would climb out of the chip mobile, wipe the tears from her face and walk back to the trail. Her parents never pressured her into continuing on days she didn't want to...her stubbornness and grit pushed her! Some say she didn't have to worry about the financial aspect of the hike, but her parents sure did. The family was essentially supporting two people living out on the trail while one parent (Papa Chip) went to work so that Chipmunk could have this experience. And let me tell you the fuel that it cost to run the Chipmobile wasn't cheap. Both Mama Chip and Chipmunk ate like normal hikers. They didn't run into town every night and have fancy meals. They typically stayed right at whatever trailhead Chipmunk finished at for the night. And being a hiker in and around Chipmunk was great. Mama Chip was always there to give us a hug when we came into a road crossing or a soda and to see how we were doing. She was looking out for us just as we were looking out for her daughter. So it was an unconventional thru hike, no doubt...But she walked that entire trail and endured the same things as we did...They even got rained on when the roof of the chip mobile leaked a few times. I think she is incredible and give her mad props for going out there and accomplishing such an amazing journey.

*as for her schooling, she was homeschooled and a year after her hike she has gotten her GED and is taking college classes. She isn't the awkward homeschool kid that sometimes goes with that lifestyle. She is outgoing and friendly!
    \\

NLeager thanks so much for this post! You reveal aspects of Chipmunk's experience that I would never otherwise have known. I respect her even more now reading what you have written about her!

Yes , I talked with her and Tammy and Jay at the Gathering , this past 10 / 11 . She is VERY bright , well - spoken and mature . Would never skip an inch of the trail : if the trails to - and - from
    a sheter were not co - located , she would go back and do every bit ! In college we engineers , ( maybe everyone ) had to take a course in public - speaking . [ Speech 101 ? ! ] Anyway , a lot
    of guys and gals would break down in tears when asked to speak to the class. Here , she gave a seminar to folks all older people , etc . , and by her own admission only missed one of her topic - cards.

When I mentioned that I started the first Sky - Diving club in the Air Force and was a Glider Flight Intructor , she said she would like to try both , as tasks on her " Buket - List " . However ,
    her parents weren't too keen on the Sky - Diving ! They are eager for her to learn to fly . [ To late to solo on her 14th birthday ; the youngest the FAA will let you ! ] I have collected some
    material on Soaring . Some from the SSA ( The Soaring Society of America ) , some from my local soaring club , some from Tom Knauff - one of the most highly regarded instructors / authors
    in the country , and some of my own . I would like to mail it all to Neva , but neglected to get their address ! Does anyone know it ? Or , even an E - Mail or phone number where they can be
    reached ? If someone DOES know the address , but doesn't want to post it on Whirte - Blaze , they can E - Mail me at : [email protected] , or phone me at : 610 - 467 - 1410 , or
    write me at : David V. Webber , 410 Oxford Road , Oxford , PA 19363 - 4213 .

Thanks in advance , David V. Webber , one of two with the trail name : " Ice Cream " !!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySnook View Post
    No matter how clean and great a student a young girl can be there will always be a guy that makes her heart stop and get the butterflies going. Hormones are something no one can control.
    What a pitiful, outlandishly sexist comment, that females are uncontrollabe victims of their hormones about guys.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I have been wondering ?? What about all the Thru Hikers who stay at a Motel / Hotel / Hostel every time they get near a town ,
    with a Queen - Sized Bed , Fancy Restaurant , Laundry , Shower and a local Grocery Store . Can THEY be called " True " Thru Hikers ?
    Neva's parent's truck was WAY crude in comparrison , and sometimes cold and wet due to having the A / C scraped off the roof !

David V. Webber " Ice Cream "

So proud of her!!!

Wow Chipmunk way to go! Ignore the naysayers, you've already accomplished more than many of them can dream of doing themselves.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++