You know what they say about assuming... and the more I research a Thru-hike, the more I start to think I really am an a--.... So I wanted to compile a bunch of my questions and assumptions and get some feedback and I head into planning for this spring.

1. First, I had NO IDEA how common it was to leave trail to stay in a hotel or hostel or to restock. This is still kind of blowing my mind. I think I just assumed that you got to a post office, grabbed your stuff, and kept hiking.
I had budgeted in two different nights at hotels as rewards or small goals to shoot for along the way, but should I budget in more? Is this completely up to the individual or is it really recommended to hit a real bed more often? (this is assuming no major injuries or hurricanes or whatever)

2. Tying into the first question, I'm curious about zero days. Again, I assumed that if you hit a spot that you really liked (beautiful scenery, nice weather, great lake/stream nearby), you'd just park it for a day and enjoy the outdoors. Maybe give your armpits an extra scrub, drink a cup of instant coffee, and just relax. Was this a ridiculous assumption, should I be looking to seek out shelter for my zero or nero days?

3. (typing this out made the question seem stupid, but here it is) I know specific parks can have specific rules (like the GSMNP), but for the most part, do you spend the night in campgrounds or just off the trail where you feel like finishing the day? Or a combination of both?

4. I also assumed that you could carry about a weeks worth of food with you at a time and was mentally planning packages and weight along those lines. (Note: I'm a girl, so that changes calorie calculations) However, most of the guides I've seen suggest 3-4 days worth of food at a time. Do I need to plan to re-stock more often? Or is this, again, up to the individual.

This is all I have for now. Seriously, thanks for any advice or tips. I am looking forward to a trip of a lifetime.