WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ULA Rocks!!

Agreed! ULA has great customer service. Chris worked with me on my fit and we did the picture thing as well. We did a no fuss exchange to get it just right. I really like my Circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    A ULA pack is on my short list but the problem I have is postage to and from Australia if I don't like it and it need to be returned. Can't find anyone here that has one and lives close, to look over the pack.
    You need to talk to ULA. Maybe you could be the Australian distributor for them.
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!

I have the Catalyst also this year and it has been great! It won't stand up on it's own but I just use my stick ran through the carrying handle as a kickstand. After seeing a buddy's gregory chewed on one night, I want mine inside the tent now instead of the vestibules or out side.

Per recommendations here I got the Neoair Xlite. I was worried about the whole air mattress thing but it has been great. I carry it inside the Catalyst.We're talking a liter water bottle size.

Stoves can nearly start fist fights but a pop/beer can stove is easy to make and work really well with an aluminum foil windscreen and a circle of hardware cloth as a pot holder while you are deciding. (I use a Trangia and Clikstand now but more from sentiment than anything else.) Your whole kitchen should fit inside the pot sans fuel.
    A Titanium pot(Evernew?) at .9 liters and the titanium 600ml mug from Snow peak seems to be the norm from people I've met and they've done me great for years. You change change the stove under them. A long handled titanium spoon is a luxury for eating out of heat-n-eat bags but a Lexan spoon cut off a little rides in my pot for them times when you want to share.

I bought new sleeping bags and a tent and after carrying them for a while wished I had save up and took the advice on here and bought good light stuff first. I really think a bag and tent should be under 3 lbs each with today's offerings. (I just sent my payment for some used stuff and waiting!)

The scale is fun to play with. Nuff said.

I love ULA - just got me a new Catalyst in multicam. In love.

Quote Originally Posted by bmanice View Post
    I love ULA - just got me a new Catalyst in multicam. In love.
    I hear you ! now your a member of the ULA fan club ! welcome. Congrads on the pack. Hike safe.

Seems like pack manufactures would offer a bright color ie blaze orange for hikers packs? I want to be seen while in the woods.....most of the time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe a blaze orange rain cover or something, i get it. i also think that after a few 100 miles a orange pack would start to look kinda,,,,well,,nasty. but i do understand where your comming from.

When I first came on here, all I heard about was ULA this and ULA that. "We all got ULA's! Yipee!"

Well, I did not get a ULA, for that very reason. I'm just not a crowd runner. I really like my Granite Gear Blaze 60. Just the right size for all my stuff and shaped perfectly to fit my body type.

Take that, ULA!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

Have owned several packs over the years and have to say my Ohm2.0 is comfortable as all get out. Service good too.

I wasn't enthralled by the multitude of ULA packs already in use either, or the bizarre green color that I personally find far from attractive. After the world's easiest Rit dye job (I was initially more nervous than you can imagine, but it's honestly so easy and turns out great!), my latest ULA pack is hands down the best pack I've ever had.

Unfortunately, I don't have many trail miles on my ULA Circuit (yet!), but it's been able to withstand the beating of airline employees a couple times and a couple South American bus trips where luggage is far from treated gently.

I can't say how their customer service is, as the pack literally fits me perfectly and I've never had a single issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lal2wx View Post
    I wasn't enthralled by the multitude of ULA packs already in use either, or the bizarre green color that I personally find far from attractive. After the world's easiest Rit dye job (I was initially more nervous than you can imagine, but it's honestly so easy and turns out great!), my latest ULA pack is hands down the best pack I've ever had.

Unfortunately, I don't have many trail miles on my ULA Circuit (yet!), but it's been able to withstand the beating of airline employees a couple times and a couple South American bus trips where luggage is far from treated gently.

I can't say how their customer service is, as the pack literally fits me perfectly and I've never had a single issue with it.
    How did u dye it? Any pics?

Images

You guys realize that ULA packs come in a cool purple color as well, right (as well as a camo and a cuben-white)? I think this is relatively new though... I bought my wife a purple OHM 2.0 for xmas last year.

I've bought 3 ULA packs over the past 7.5 years . Not because they didn't hold up, but because I was looking for a smaller lighter pack each time. I bought them in part because they were green. I hate seeing bright colors in the wilderness and my gear and clothing are all colors that tend to blend in.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I've bought 3 ULA packs over the past 7.5 years . Not because they didn't hold up, but because I was looking for a smaller lighter pack each time. I bought them in part because they were green. I hate seeing bright colors in the wilderness and my gear and clothing are all colors that tend to blend in.
    Agree except for hunting season!

Images

I've had my circuit since 2007, some wear and tear but fully serviceable. And I dig the green.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    How did u dye it? Any pics?

I used RIT dye I bought from JoAnn's. I didn't want to stain my friend's washer and have his next load of laundry come out dyed so I used an old trash can I rinsed out as a tub. I found every pot in his kitchen and started boiling as much water as possible, dumped it all in the trash can and mixed the dye in with a stick. Next I put the pack in (remove as much stuff like the hip belt as possible) and tossed a brick on top to hold it down and a glass platter on top to help retain heat. After half the recommended time, I added more boiling water to make sure the water was staying hot. I hear if you use a cooler as the tub it stays hot on its own. After it was done soaking, pulled it out and rinsed it well with a hose and washed it without any detergent a couple times to make sure all the excess dye was off.

I did black as I like the simple, clean appearance of solid black gear. I'd imagine only colors of RIT dye darker than the green work. If you're okay with a dark color but want to try a lighter color first, wouldn't you be able to try that first and if you didn't like it just re-dye it a dark color like navy or black?

I'm in Nepal and don't have the pack on me right now (Wish I did!), but the link below has a great before and after picture. There is one difference, the model name on my bag remained yellow along with the yellow elastic bits and the white grid stays white. I think it looks really sharp with the pops of color.

http://walkingtocanada.blogspot.com/...-makeover.html

There are lots of forum's about the process on backpackinglight.com, which is where I grabbed this picture that shows the model remaining yellow. The person in this picture removed the yellow cord, it will remain yellow as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++