WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Second thoughts after a bad first hike

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You might not be ready for a thru-hike. Even though some of the experts think you can train a monkey to do one.

I don't question your hiking ability or your miles.

I question your strong desire to quit.

You had 13 days off and stayed in the woods for less than 5. Why didn't you find a way to stay in the woods for the 13 days you had off? Stop and rest, spend more than one night camped by a nice creek were it was cool. Wonder around a bit with out your pack see what's in the woods.

Even if you couldn't do the miles you seem to lack the desire to be in the woods for 13 days.

Maybe, as you said if others were around to encourage you you might have stuck it out. Will you always have that on a thru-hike?

Good luck, and try again.
    There's a lot of truth in the above post. If you're doing these hikes in preparation for a thru-hike, then just because you may be hiking slower than your normal rate (whatever that is and whatever the cause) you should stay out there and endure it (barring any serious injuries...), because you will definitely have this experience on a thru-hike. You don't necessarily want to force yourself to do your normal miles, but you also don't want to quit, there's more to thru-hiking than just walking.

Its okay to not like something. Its okay to change your mind about not liking something and try again. Neither makes you a failure. Its simply an experience and its not for everyone. Hike your own hike applies to everything, not just trail time. Be well with whatever you decide, including changing your mind if that occurs. gum

You were accustomed to hiking in the GA humidity with long mileage. So what was the difference? All your previous hikes were weekend-only, meaning a much lighter pack and a mindset that you'd be finished in 2, 3 days at most. The difficulty was you had to make the transition to a longer hike. You're physically in good shape but you need to make the mental/psychological adjustment to more days on the trail, a heavier pack, and planning logistics like resupply.

I've been there - all my backpacking prior to retirement was 3-4 day weekends at most. I never envisioned doing 100 miles, let alone 500, 1,000, a thru-hike. When I finally took the plunge to hike 100 miles in '04 (with some trepidation), I worked out but also worked on my mental approach which also included my first backpack of any length in winter. I didn't thru-hike but worked my way to several 100+ mile section hikes.

Drawing on this experience, I hope you'll now see what's involved in a longer hike and prepare - mentally as well as physically.

P.S. As part of your preparation, keep in mind that on a traditional NOBO thruhike, you reach the mid-Atlantic low-elevation, close-to-the-ocean states of MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT in summer. Trust me, the humidity will be at least as oppressive as GA and the mosquitoes worse.

I hope you are getting encouragement from these posts, soumodeler. I think it's important to be prepared for what's coming. The yin & yang of the whole thru-hike is balance. There will be times when it will suck very much. You are going to want to quit at some point. For most people I think it's inevitable. This negative aspect will be balanced by all the positives: natural beauty, enduring friendships, meaningful introspection, the quest of a life-time, and it's final reward.

My longest hike ever was 12 miles, last week. I know I am up for the mental challenges. It's the physical part that concerns me, but that can be overcome by thoughtful preparation. I told my wife I am leaving in March to thru-hike the AT, and I am not coming home until it is done. She said, "I know." (She says that a lot). There is nothing short of complete physical debilitation that will stop me. In my mind, it is already done. I just have to go and claim it.

Join me.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    You might not be ready for a thru-hike. Even though some of the experts think you can train a monkey to do one.

I don't question your hiking ability or your miles.

I question your strong desire to quit.

You had 13 days off and stayed in the woods for less than 5. Why didn't you find a way to stay in the woods for the 13 days you had off? Stop and rest, spend more than one night camped by a nice creek were it was cool. Wonder around a bit with out your pack see what's in the woods.

Even if you couldn't do the miles you seem to lack the desire to be in the woods for 13 days.

Maybe, as you said if others were around to encourage you you might have stuck it out. Will you always have that on a thru-hike?

Good luck, and try again.
    you can train em to ride high horses too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++