WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I've parked both places for overnighters and haven't had any problems
    Excellent. It looks like Turkey Hill parking is about 2-3 miles from Stockbridge shelter. That sounds good for a friday night.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Sorry guys ... not going to make it. Have to take the youngest back to school on Sunday morning. Too much to do before she goes back ... I'll try for next year. I'm going to miss you all!!
    "Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be
    able to treat life as art." Maya Angelou

Images

Miss you....take care Moose!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    So just going by google maps, Friday's parking looks like either "Old Silver Mine Ski Center parking" off Seven lakes drive or Turkey Hill Parking Parking off 6/Long mountain Road. Are they both safe places to park for the weekend?
    We would like to come - will be driving up from Maryland and arriving late so need to be firm on the details though. I can find "Old Silver Mine Ski Center parking" on Google Maps, but have no clue how to find my way from there to the Stockbridge shelter. I don't see any trail maps on Google...where is the trail in relation to the parking and which direction is the shelter?

Excellent. It looks like Turkey Hill parking is about 2-3 miles from Stockbridge shelter. That sounds good for a friday night.
    I can find that parking area on Google Maps too - if it is closer to the shelter then that is where I will park as well.
    Last edited by Casey & Gina; 01-13-2016 at 17:36.

Maybe this will help... HERE is a Caltopo map with Silver Mine Lake parking area and Turkey Hill parking area waypoints marked, as well as Stockbridge Shelter waypoint. Those are actual GPS tracks that you can follow from Silver Mine Lake or from Turkey Hill. It's a little tricky from Silver Mine Lake (especially at night, when you've never done it before, and it might be raining!) because you have to walk through a picnic area for a short distance, cross the entrance for an old parking area, walk through the woods for a short distance paralleling the road and then cross the road. The blazes are yellow and not particularly close together. From Turkey Hill it's a bit longer walk but it's a lot easier navigating... just walk back out to Rt 6 (Long Mountain Rd) via the north exit of Turkey Hill Loop and cross straight over the road to the Long Path (turquoise blazes), which takes you directly to Stockbridge.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-14-2016 at 07:52. Reason: fixed the darn link

Images

Im in for fri sat sun. should be there early fri parking at tiorati circle and hoofing back to stockbridge. this way there will be a car parked at the halfway point if needed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    Im in for fri sat sun. should be there early fri parking at tiorati circle and hoofing back to stockbridge. this way there will be a car parked at the halfway point if needed.
    I am planned the same parking location though I will head back out Saturday evening.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    We would like to come - will be driving up from Maryland and arriving late so need to be firm on the details though. I can find "Old Silver Mine Ski Center parking" on Google Maps, but have no clue how to find my way from there to the Stockbridge shelter. I don't see any trail maps on Google...where is the trail in relation to the parking and which direction is the shelter?

I can find that parking area on Google Maps too - if it is closer to the shelter then that is where I will park as well.
    I'm going to suggest you park at the Turkey Hill area, it's an easier walk to the shelter.
    Cross the road and follow the Long Path ( blazed with a light blue, I think they call it Aqua) south.
    It'll take you right to the shelter. If the shelter is full there's plenty of room to put up your tent a little ways behind the shelter.

Got it, many thanks. I will be tenting! See y'all tomorrow!

AT 2012

Ah, the pathetic post of the lonely old hiker... I plan to join you Sunday morning for the waning moments of the get together, and will be staying through Monday at least till mid day. Please post or private message me to let me know where and when you all might be having breakfast. A self serving comment: the weather looks way nicer for Saturday and Sunday nights. If you get wet Saturday morning, don't despair... You'll be dry by nightfall. Hope to see you soon!
    Lazarus

I'd like to know the Sunday breakfast location as well. Still undecided whether to make a cameo appearance

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Last minute question. Does anyone think there is a reason to bring microspikes this year?

In a normal year I'd be living in them by now, but I haven't even take them out yet this season...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

As some of you know I pack heavier than normal for this trip so that I can enjoy myself in camp. While getting ready I was guessing my total and I found myself using "Maltos" as a unit of measure for pack weight. I think my pack this year is a mere 2.5 Maltos, which is much lighter than it was for the first couple of MLK meetups.

Last minute question. Does anyone think there is a reason to bring microspikes this year?

In a normal year I'd be living in them by now, but I haven't even take them out yet this season...
    No microspikes for me. I can't imagine there being anything more than a rare spot of ice. High of 48°F Saturday!

Images

As some of you know I pack heavier than normal for this trip so that I can enjoy myself in camp. While getting ready I was guessing my total and I found myself using "Maltos" as a unit of measure for pack weight. I think my pack this year is a mere 2.5 Maltos, which is much lighter than it was for the first couple of MLK meetups.
    The Cheesecake is 2 Maltos!...........................................

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I'd like to know the Sunday breakfast location as well. Still undecided whether to make a cameo appearance

For sure it will not be Danbury..............hopefully we will have service...to send out that message!

Thanks, Coach Lou. Hopefully it will not be Danbury, indeed!

Images

Scott made it home. Tiptoe, nice to meet you briefly, sorry I could not stay. Maybe next year. Good to get together with old friends again and meet some new ones. Happy trails everyone.

Yes, I was really pleased to meet all the celebrants, however briefly. After you all departed, I hiked around Hessian Lake and through the zoo before returning home.

Images

Indeed, it was another good time..........not a big hike....but agood time to get out, camp, see friends!

Laz, The Elf. and GG went to West Mtn. LI Hikers are out there somewhere!

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++