WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

first 2 thru hikes i had some blisters, i was wearing Montrail moraines, i believe they were considered heavy mid weight boots. had a heel blister so bad once i cut a huge hole in the insole where my heel was, then believe it or not i removed the insole completely and my foot rested directly on the hard plastic waffle middle sole for hundreds of miles, in 2002 and 2003 i switched to Chaco Sandels, some times i had really dried out feet, which can hurt as much when the feet are severally dried out. but some times i would wear socks, or no socks, my favorite was socks and seal skins & my low cut out door research gaitors, i could cross creeks and my feet would stay dry,never needed camp shoes my system was so comfortable, and when i hiked in the seal skins just enough moisture would stay inside my feet would not dry out. i like the thought of keen sandals with the rubber protection up front, i have never tried them, i thought they were for skinny feet. many of times i'd be hiking and a stick would jam between my feet and the sandal, thats not too much fun. i never seemed to kick any rocks with my toes, but sometimes stepping over rocks,logs and such i would bang my heels on the back swing. i wish they still made the quality Chacos with the soft vibramn bottom soles but they don't :-(

Journal Entries

Before I switched to trail runners I thought blisters and hiking were different sides of the same coin. By selecting trail runners that actually fit my feet (tried over 20 pairs in five stores) and keeping them properly tied so they're not loose I don't get blisters. I also use synthetic socks and use a foot cream to keep my feet healthy. Opinions vary but I prefer gortex as they keep my feet dry(er) than non-gortex. Wet feet usually means blisters if the shoe is the least bit loose. Boots in my opinion are just a prescription for blisters if you're hiking any distance. Won't suggest a particular shoe as I found the best shoe is the one that fits you.

Besides "Fixing Your Feet" mentioned above (and totally worth the money), another excellent resource on controlling blisters is www.blisterprevention.com.au. This is the website of Rebecca Rushton, an Australian podiatrist, who works with the ultra-marathon community. She has an excellent newsletter and provides a free pdf on advanced blister prevention for subscribing which is very good. I highly recommend them both!

Images

I did 3 thruhikes without blisters. I used Keen Targhee II midcuts one size too large, liner socks and Smartwool hiking socks. That semed to do the trick for me but everybody has different feet. I was just thankful that I found a combo that worked for me. Lord knows you see enough people spending the first half hour of the day taping up their blisters and watching their toenails fall off. That kinda stuff ain't for me I tell ya!
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

Consider Wrightsocks. www.wrightsocks.com They have a patented method of sewing the liner into the socks. They quarantee No blisters. They have been the #1 sock for the 100 mile ultra runners. They are made in Burlington NC.
    And Yes, I work with Wrightsocks, Etowah Gear, and the American Trekking Pole Co.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    "Fixing your Feet" likely the book referred to as mentioned. http://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-Fe...dp/0899976387#
    Plus 1 to the Fixing Your Feet. I have had horrific blisters.

Website: http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/Blister-Prevention.html

Blisters are caused by three things: Heat, friction, & moisture
    In theory, if you can eliminated one or more of the factors... you can eliminate blisters.

One of the author's #1 recommendations is to not let your feet get callused. He says something like, "Hikers and athletes hate this advice and LOVE their calluses... but they are a major source of blisters".

I take a emery-board to my feet/calluses and this has helped a lot.

I pre-tape my feet for 10+ mile days. I use Nexcare Absolute Waterproof First Aid Tape http://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Absolu...ywords=nexcare I rub down my feet with hand sanitizer first. Helps to dry off feet. It will stay on all day or 12 miles if I don't go in the water. You have to wrap the feet in such a way that the tape over laps tape. You can't just slap on a square of tape.

I've had virtually no blisters since I've switched to long pants. Really helps to keep dirt and grit out of my shoes. I think that grit in my shoes was my biggest cause of blisters. Gaitors would work, if you need to wear shorts. Keeping my feet super clean has really helped. Dried sweat can also be really gritty. I try and wash my feet and socks every day.

My best hiking sock combo (thus far) is a REI silk liner sock http://www.rei.com/product/627663/re...ne-liner-socks
    And these cheap, thin acrylic Christmas socks that I usually get from Target or the Dollar Store http://www.amazon.com/Women-Fashion-...XWG628GRXVSXPF Obviously any design will work, but I half believe that the Christmas socks have a magical property. (Which goes to show that not all advice is objective. )

I've just started using
    ENGO Blister Prevention Patches http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003URZNW0/...I1T9FLYTL1A9C5 I haven't used them long enough to really give a review, but I have high hopes.

PS edit: One thing that has helped a lot is to lay down for 15-30 mins. half way thru the day with my feet up hill or up on a rock or leaning up against a tree. This reduces the swelling in my feet and helps my shoes/boots continue to fit properly. I also sleep at night with my feet slightly uphill (I'm out West and have never seen a shelter...).

Saddest thing I've read in the Fixing your Feet book is that not everything works for every person. And even the thing that worked great for you this year, may eventually stop working. I spent about $100 on various foot fixing stuff. Glide and lubricants don't work for me. Darn Tough socks didn't work. Leukotape didn't work... but maybe I didn't get the right kind. Don't know.

At any rate, your mileage may vary... and given that we are talking hiking... that is both literally and figuratively true.

Last edited by DLP; 10-03-2014 at 12:57.

Use sock liners. And if you can't find those just buy some nylon dress socks and put those on before your regular socks. And if you feel a hot spot, stop and take care of it immediately...adjust your footwear, put on dry socks, etc...otherwise there will be a blister there by the end of the day.

I had a podiatrist dig the krap out of the ball of my left foot 20 years ago. I was on crutches for 2 weeks. He said that it was a plantar wart.

I showed that spot to my dermatologist a couple of years ago. She said that it was just a plain old callus or corn and not a plantar wart. She said that she doesn't like to dig down into people's feet because they often have trouble with that spot for life.

I have found this to be true. That spot is my weakest link and first to blister.

My suggestion is also to avoid damage and injury in the first place. And get a second opinion if a doctor wants to dig down a half inch into the sole of your foot.

Images

Sock liners!!!!! I use polypropelene sock liners, and they sort of "bond" to my feet during the day. I have "warm spots" but they never turn into "hot spots", and the next day, my feet are fine again.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

What has always worked for me was smart wool socks and everytime I took a break for over 5 min I would take off boots and let feet air out.

T-Rx is absolutely right, confirmed by several other thru hikers.

Say it with me...Injinji Toe Socks​. Get a pair and try them. REI carries some.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post

Has anyone with Morton's Toe (Morton's foot) used these socks. Are they as effective with said condition?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Tried a pair of these this weekend over a twenty mile hike and didn't even have a hot spot. I was almost giddy my feet felt so good. I have problems with toe-toe blisters and these helped prevent them.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Has anyone with Morton's Toe (Morton's foot) used these socks. Are they as effective with said condition?
    I have Morton's foot--but didn't know they had a name for it. I used these socks last winter while backpacking in the Smokies and had mixed results. One foot did fine throughout--no problems. The other had a problem with the smallest toe kept coming out of the sock and then the loose sock toe wadding up between my toe and the end of the toebox in the boot--this caused discomfort. I had to stop several times to re-insert the small toe back into the sock before proceeding down the trail, only to have it come back out after a while. Did not get any blisters tho. Seatbelt.

Forgot to add, I will be doing another weekend trip this weekend and will be tring these out again, and will update after this trip if U are interested. The guy who works at the Indy REI who just thru-hiked last year, said he wore them all the way with no blisters.

Does Injinji make a sock version with the 2nd and 3rd toes the longest? I grew up near a nuclear power plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Does Injinji make a sock version with the 2nd and 3rd toes the longest? I grew up near a nuclear power plant.
    Reference post #32. I have Morton's foot (second toe is longer than big toe) and generally do ok as long as shoes have plenty of extra toe room. But, I sometimes have discomfort if my socks get pulled too tight against the end of my toes. So, I was wondering if anyone with same condition had used these socks. So, fundamentally, I want to know if there is enough length in the second toe so as to avoid the above mentioned problem. I generally don't have a significant blister issue (first trip or two both pinky toes might blister as well as one of the toes next to pinky) but anything that will make feet feel better is worth looking into.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Three end-to-end of the AT. Montrail Badrocks 0r HArdrocks, darn tough and liners, no blisters ever. But I mainly think it has more to do with your feet's natural resistance to blisters than anything else. A buddy always gets blisters no matter what he does.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    Consider Wrightsocks. www.wrightsocks.com They have a patented method of sewing the liner into the socks. They quarantee No blisters. They have been the #1 sock for the 100 mile ultra runners. They are made in Burlington NC.
    And Yes, I work with Wrightsocks, Etowah Gear, and the American Trekking Pole Co.
    Sorry Elder but I feel the quality of Wrightsocks has suffered in the past couple of years and no longer buy them. First pairs I bought back 9 years ago lasted it seemed like forever. The pairs I bought a little over a year ago have all almost bit the dust due to holes wearing in the heels. The merino wool hikers I got didn't last a whole 10 miles before the balls of the socks were practically threadbare. They went in the trash when I got home sad cuz I really liked their socks once upon a time.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

That is amazing. What hurt me the most was my knees. I had no idea

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++