WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Prettywoman0172's Avatar
    Images

Default Loop hike in Massachusetts or New Hampshire?

I want to take my gear out for three or four days early next week. Is there a loop hike in Massachusetts or New Hampshire that I could do?

Remember, I am really green and inexperienced as a backpacker. But I am fit.

How about Vermont?

In order to keep you off of the potentially dangerous ridges of the White Mountains I would suggest the Glastenbury/West Ridge loop hike in the Fifty Hikes in Vermont book by the Green Mountain club.
    I don't know how much of a newbie you are, but, unless you have experienced company I wouldn't recommend a solo hike in the White Mountains (otherwise, a Presidential Range Traverse would be the ideal hike for a fit, experienced hiker).
    I'm assuming you want to try a solo hike??
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The Mt. Greylock area has some mellow terrain that is nice for a beginner backpacker...

THe Moneybrook-Hopper trail loop takes in waterfalls, a small chunk of the AT, the highest point in Mass and (going down the Hopper) some rare New England old-growth forest (too steep to log or farm IIRC). Nearby this area (The Thunderbolt Trail) used to be used a ski area, too.

At 12 miles and 2400' gain it is about right for a mellow beginner overnight backpack.

I did it way back in 1997 and remember it being nice...

Details here in Hike #3 (Greylock in the Round)
    http://www.troop-63.com/Forms/Maps/M...ed%20Hikes.pdf

Just noticed you said 3 or 4 day hike....this is more of an overnighter. You can probably extend it, though.
    Last edited by Mags; 09-03-2010 at 17:07.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The Mt. Greylock area has some mellow terrain that is nice for a beginner backpacker...

THe Moneybrook-Hopper trail loop takes in waterfalls, a small chunk of the AT, the highest point in Mass and (going down the Hopper) some rare New England old-growth forest (too steep to log or farm IIRC). Nearby this area (The Thunderbolt Trail) used to be used a ski area, too.

At 12 miles and 2400' gain it is about right for a mellow beginner overnight backpack.

I did it way back in 1997 and remember it being nice...

Details here in Hike #3 (Greylock in the Round)
    http://www.troop-63.com/Forms/Maps/M...ed%20Hikes.pdf

Just noticed you said 3 or 4 day hike....this is more of an overnighter. You can probably extend it, though.
    Some of my more memorable hikes are those "short" ones that got extended .
    Being overly optimistic in terms of how many miles you think you can hike is a sure way to ruin a trip.
    Plan for two days, take three. Plan for three, take four, etc.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Like others before me, let me suggest you stay away from NH's White Mountains for your first trip. I found Vermont to be beautiful and Mass. to be very nice. The AT in Conneticut is very varied and might be a good start. You could always do an out and back hike if you can't find a loop. If you want to go south to NY, Harriman State Park is a good place for new backpackers. Get the trails map of the park and you'll have more than enough trails, and varied terrain, to choose from and some shelters to sleep in or near.

Default may I suggest this fine loop trip in southern VT

i agree that your first hike should not be in white mtns.

Hows about this: Start at AT/LT crossing of Route 9 in vermont (that is a bit east of Bennington). Hike north about 10 miles to Goddard Shelter. Spend night here. then hike along (I think it's called) west Ridge back to Rt 9. you then hike about a mile east on rt 9 back to your car.

You will get chance to possibly meet LT or AT thru hikers,
    experience some isolation
    most of trail is not too steep
    you do though have long stretches without water supply.

DavidNH

Images

Actually, for a first solo trip, with brand new equipment, I'd recommend car camping with your backpacking gear, and dayhiking the trail around the state park, carrying your pack. Work on your gear checklist, and make sure everything works before you haul it into a situation where mistakes can rapidly become very serious.

Some state parks, around here anyway, have backpacker campgrounds, where you do have to hike in, but not very far. Back in the day, when I was accumulating equipment that I didn't know how to use, I'd go there every time I got a new stove or tent. Campsites that are between 1 and 5 miles from the parking are ideal for gear testing. To get in some serious conditioning, you can then dayhike the longer trails, carrying your pack.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

That's some excellent advice from Marta!

Default Short Hikes :

The IMP trail comes to mind . Should be able to find on GOOGLE . DVW

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSail View Post
    The IMP trail comes to mind . Should be able to find on GOOGLE . DVW
    I hiked it last fall. Can't find anything to recommend it really. The view in front of the shelter I enjoyed during my AT section hike in the mid 1980s is pretty much grown over. I couldn't see the Berlin lights at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Actually, for a first solo trip, with brand new equipment, I'd recommend car camping with your backpacking gear, and dayhiking the trail around the state park, carrying your pack. Work on your gear checklist, and make sure everything works before you haul it into a situation where mistakes can rapidly become very serious.
    Great advice. Sounds like she bit (well more than a bit) than that and is suffering the consequences.

Oh well, blisters heal, nails grow back.............memory fades........
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 09-08-2010 at 19:02.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

What did I say about 12 miles being good for a first overnight backpack? (5-6 MPD?)

Experience is a great teacher..but with high tuition.

My own first overnight backpack can be read below....

PrettyWoman did much better!!!

[I]My buddy Tim and I have done a lot together, including my first backpacking trip.
    [/I]

An account of my first backpacking trip in 1996. I did not know what I was doing to say the least! But, everyone has to start somewhere. With me on that first trip was my buddy Tim. We both went to the same Catholic elementary school, worked in the same hospital, and (along with our other buddy Leo) probably spent enough to money on beers and wings in “Dave’s Bar and Grill” to pay for the addition they put up shortly after I moved to Colorado. I do doubt Tim’s sanity since he left a lovely, intelligent, attractive girlfriend to join me for the last stretch of my Appalachian Trail thru-hike. His sanity was further questioned four years later when he left his a lovely, intelligent, attractive WIFE to join me for the last stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail. This letter was published in the September 2001 issue of Backpacker Magazine.

A Thru-Hiker is Born.

Years ago, my friend Tim and I started our summer with a trip to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I had done dayhikes and camping while in the Boyscouts, but no backpacking. I was 25 pounds overweight, and my gear included a Rambo-sized knife, a flashlight with a big 6-volt battery, and enough canned goods to stock a 7-Eleven. But we planned to only hike 12 miles, so how difficult could that be?

The first day, I was out of breath as we hiked, but enjoyed the sunshine and the fantastic views-until we realized we'd forgotten the map. Tim said he remembered the way, so not to worry. Around 6 PM, we saw the same campsite we had used the previous night. We'd hiked in a 12-mile circle! We set up the tent, didn't bother to eat dinner, and collapsed in our sleeping bags.

Skip ahead two years to a sunny August day. I'm on the summit of Kathadin, Maine, a big smile on my face because I had just complete a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. On that first, mistake-prone, trip, I got lost, carried too much, and in the end enjoyed myself thoroughly. Out of th adventure came a love for backpacking.

A view of the Carter-Moriahs in New Hampshire on my first backpacking trip. With views like this, how could I not fall in love with backpacking?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

Seems like only yesterday you were talking a possible thru hike on Trailplace.

As you will recall, I was the only one who predicted not only that you would make it, but that you would move West and make it a lifestyle.

And then there was all the advise me and Weary and others gave you which made it all possible.

I hope you don't forget when it comes time to sending out Wedding Invitations-- if and when that day ever comes.

(Hardly more than a small grain of truth in all of the above, but it really is amazing how time flies. Glad to see yours has been put to some good use!)
    Last edited by rickb; 09-08-2010 at 20:08.

[QUOTE=rickb;1047739]
    And then there was all the advise me and Weary and others gave you which made it all possible.

I /QUOTE]

I do believe in giving back... Which is why I offer my half-ass advice, put in some sweat equity on trail work and believe in mentoring people.

Time does fly... Seems like 1996 was yesterday. So much has changed...

As for wedding invites...heh. Don't let my girlfriend here that.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Great advice. Sounds like she bit (well more than a bit) than that and is suffering the consequences.

Oh well, blisters heal, nails grow back.............memory fades........
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Prettywoman0172 View Post
    I want to take my gear out for three or four days early next week. Is there a loop hike in Massachusetts or New Hampshire that I could do?

Remember, I am really green and inexperienced as a backpacker. But I am fit.
    One suggestion: Hike the Southern Taconics. Park at Rt 41 in Salisbury just south of Mass-Conn Line. Take AT north, over Lion's Head, to Bear Mountain (careful on the northern descent), through Sages Ravine, over Race and Everett. Hike onward to Jug End for the views, then double back Then work your way across to Bash Bish Falls (check the trails guide at Mass DCR site on Mt. Everett State Reservation), Mt. Alander, southward on Taconic Trail to Mt. Brace and South Brace, across CT/NY/MA junction and up Frissell, across Round Mtn, back over to Bear, then back South on Lion's Head to point of beginning. Lots of good waterfalls (if it ever rains again), excellent views, varied terraine, well-populated trails, which gives a safety element.

You could also do something similar tromoping around a lot of Greylock's trails. Or you could do a couple days at Greylock and a couple in the SW Taconics (do the Taconics first - Greylock's views will spoil you!).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    then back South on Lion's Head to point of beginning.
    Meant to say "back south on AT over Bear to Lion's Head and place of beginning." Wish this site would let us edit after posting!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Meant to say "back south on AT over Bear to Lion's Head and place of beginning." Wish this site would let us edit after posting!
    It does. You just have to kick in $10 to help defray expenses. A real bargain -- even if you don't bother with editing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    It does. You just have to kick in $10 to help defray expenses. A real bargain -- even if you don't bother with editing.
    OK. Will do soon. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++