WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Inexpensive 6.3 Ounce Camp Sandals

Is it too much to ask for a single product to be perfect for all situations? According to my research: yes, it is too much to ask.

There are some things I have been looking for in a camp sandal or shoe: 1) Weighs very little, 2) Is comfortable, 3) Doesn't break the bank, 4) Doesn't take up too much room, 5) Can be used with or without socks, 5a) If socks are used they do not have to be specialized--I'm looking at you Injinji, 6) Can be used for stream crossings, 7) Dries very quickly, 8) Any fool can make them, 9) Is somewhat durable when not abused.

I know, I know...I don't need to take camp sandals with me on a thru hike, but I'm gonna. You don't have to. I want to. So this is for those of who also wanna.

Because I could not find anything on the market, I made some. Here is how they came to be:

I thought old school Tevas would do the job, but they are 13 oz for a pair. Too heavy. Crocs weigh even more, although they are super durable and protect your toes. Lightness is my main concern, though, so I looked to minimalist running shoes: rubber soles with string holding them to your feet. I contacted Xeroshoes and asked them what a pair of 10.5 US would weigh. Answer: 7.2 oz. Getting closer but not quite there yet. I liked the idea of those cheap drugstore flip flops, but you can't wear those without specialty socks. Sometimes it's chilly at camp you would prefer to wear socks and keep your feet warm.

So I went online to Old Navy and bought a bunch of different sizes (b/c I don't know if they run large or small) and a few extra pairs for experimentation. At only $2.50 to $3.00 a pair it's not going to break the bank.

I removed the rubber parts that anchor the flip flop to your foot, grabbed some old para-cord from the workshop and looked at some lacing videos on the Xeroshoes website that the owner of the company had linked to. (He is really a nice guy and I will buy some shoes from him in the future as thanks for unwittingly helping me. He makes his shoes for minimalist running primarily and I am not a runner, but they might make cool car-camping sandals.)

I punched a few holes in the front of the flip flops in which to string the para-cord through, then made a few failed attempts and finally got what I think is the right set up.

You may say, "I don't like that there is a knot and exposed para-cord underneath the sandal." Noted. However, since I am only using these for super-light duty purposes (camp sandal) I don't think it will be an issue. And even if they do fail prematurely, I am only out about $4. My guess, though, is that you could even walk a few miles in them if something bad happened to your hiking shoes.

The ends of the para-cord are burned to keep it from fraying. There are multiple solutions to lacing, but this one is minimal and keeps the weight down. I bought size 10-11 for me, since I wear a 10.5 shoe and they are at least 2 sizes too big. I would get the 9-10 next time. For this test, though, I just cut the front of the sandals back with some heavy duty scissors. That's why they look ragged near the toes. The pair weighs 6.3 oz. I used the existing two rear holes where the plastic foot holdy-thing nubs were for the new lacing. The thong hole in the front I just left as is. You could put some duct tape or something over it if you wanted to.

To make these lighter you find a thinner flip flip sole. I don't know if the lacing would rip through it more readily or not. I'd have to find a pair and experiment. For now, these appear pretty durable, although I've only tested them around the house and in the backyard. As I find out more I will update you.

Enough. Here are some pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    So I went online to Old Navy and bought a bunch of different sizes :
    ...of their cheap flip flops, I forgot to mention. Flip flops are what I got.

Vivobarefoot Ultras weigh about the same for the pair and meet your other specs.
    For those of us who are less DIY.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    meet your other specs.
    A good alternative, but 2+ ounces heavier and quite a bit more $. Still, as you point out, a great option that doesn't require DIY. Thanks.

A good alternative, but 2+ ounces heavier and quite a bit more $. Still, as you point out, a great option that doesn't require DIY. Thanks.
    Mine weigh 6oz even for the pair. The ones with the liners are a bit heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Mine weigh 6oz even for the pair.
    The ponytail in your avatar suggests to me that you probably don't wear size 10.5 Men's. Smaller shoes for sure will weigh less. I guess I could grab a hammer and crush my feet down to a size that will allow a properly light camp shoe. Thanks for the excellent advice, lol.

Hah! True that! I didn't even think about size differentials! I wear an 8.5 womens!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When I ordered a pair of Vivobarefoot Ultrapure (no sock) in a size 9 or 10 for mens, they weighted right at about 8oz.

But I sent them back because I expected them to weight 4oz. That's what the spec was... but apparently they mean 'per shoe'. Needless to say, having spent $60 and getting something that weighted twice as much as I expected did NOT make me a happy camper. Oh well, they got returned anyway... they shipped me some USED shoes (I could see the wear on the bottom even if the shoe looked clean).

A pair of sandals for wife, who is size 7 Women's, weighs in at 5 oz even.

Most impressive, nice job on the build. I love wearin' socks w/sandals, pretty darn comfortable.

I bought a pair of "old school" Tevas like the OP explained above. His weight is accurate for my size 10. They have a tough flip-flop type base and standard Teva webbing. very comfortable and durable and I know I can hike for miles in these things. Sometimes a few ounces are worth it.

These were made by Eddie at CedarTree. cuben attached to double foam soles, 2.75 oz for the pair.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412344047.128405.jpg

Images

Very nice top Hat, I personally have never thought I've needed or carried camp shoes, but your DYI thing here has maybe changed my mind, but I do want to get below 4oz or so, and like you said, a lighter (but less durable) sole would do the trick. I'd also like to expand on your "strap" system, looks pretty good, but it might be nice to have a little adjustable thingie in there to pull them tight. thanks for the idea!

Journal Entries

I lost my Crocs on a trip last spring and purchased Dollar General Store Crocs, 8.8 oz. $8.00. They work pretty well.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

I did a similar thing but I found a pair of holiday inn shower sandals. 3.3 Oz for all.
    Base weight: 8lbs
    Pack: Gossamer Gear Murmur
    Hangin' with my homemade M50 hammock!!!
    "Laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk
    of renal failure" - Dale Gribble

You got any pics, rickycodie? 3.3 oz sounds awfully good.

So I went online to Old Navy and bought a bunch of different sizes (b/c I don't know if they run large or small) and a few extra pairs for experimentation.

I removed the rubber parts that anchor the flip flop to your foot, grabbed some old para-cord from the workshop and looked at some lacing videos on the Xeroshoes website that the owner of the company had linked to.

I punched a few holes in the front of the flip flops in which to string the para-cord through, then made a few failed attempts and finally got what I think is the right set up.
    Very industrious.
    I also bought a pair of Old Navy flip-flops. And a pair of toe socks.
    Plan to try the combo as my light - and labor-free - camp shoes on my next backpack...

+1 on the toe (Injinji) socks and cheap flip-flop combo. Cheap and no DIY needed.

++ New Posts ++