WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I didn't read the whole thread but I bought the caldera cone that uses esbit and a Foster's beer can and took it out for the first time this weekend and it's a great little setup. Weighs in at 8 oz for the can, cone, stove, caddy, 3 esbit tabs, and cozy. The can is the cookpot and the caddy is food grade plastic so you have 2 bowls if you'd ever need them.

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-keg-gvp
    Last edited by 10-K; 10-06-2014 at 14:21.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The Sidewinder is best for your needs because:

"I am not so much into fire and burning wood. Even though I love a nice wood-fire, I do not like the smell of wood in my clothes. If I have limited change on a backcountry hike, I really don't like going to bed with stuff that smell smoke."
    Hi Zelph!
    Thanks for your reply. I am actually thinking of getting one of your Starlyte for the Caldera system since it is smaller and I like the way it closes. I understand that the modified Starlyte is the way to go for the Caldera system? Btw, will a metallic ring simply laid over the top of the modified Starlyte allow me to simmer? (to somehow mimic the Simmering option you have).

However I am perplexed at your comment.
    Why is the Sidewinder better if I am not interested in the wood-burning option?
    Is it because with the Sidewinder and the Starlyte I would not need any tent-stake? Or, are there any other reasons?

I have read the previous advice about not using the Caldera with a pot for which it was not designed but do not really understand why? (despite the obvious drop in efficiency).

Where I am also hesitating with the Sidewinder or Fissure is that if I one day elect to go solo with a narrower pot (ie. an Evernew 0.9 or a Snowpeak Trek 0.7) , I am almost guaranteed the Sidewinder won't fit within the pot (due to the smaller pot diameter). However I believe there is a good shot at the Fissure system still being able to be packed within the pot/mug provided the mug is not too short.

On the other side, the rivets on the Fissure. Any feedback on how strong?

Btw, the smoke thing... don't you guy somehow wash/wipe and use deodorant?
    I said I was duo-hiking...

Thanks!
    Minos

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    Hi Zelph!
    Thanks for your reply. I am actually thinking of getting one of your Starlyte for the Caldera system since it is smaller and I like the way it closes. I understand that the modified Starlyte is the way to go for the Caldera system? Btw, will a metallic ring simply laid over the top of the modified Starlyte allow me to simmer? (to somehow mimic the Simmering option you have).
    I got Zelph's modified Starlyte to work in my Caldera cone and did not like the results in long boil time. On contacting Zelph I found that yes by removing the insert it would act as a (unmodified) Starlyte. I found no issues in using that in 'the cone' Later I did end up using a steal washer as a restrictor to allow more control over cooking and that also worked well.

btw the lid that Zelph offers is great in that it is green and looks really nice but mine cracked and I am about it, it would be really nice is Zelph would send me a replacement
    Last edited by Starchild; 10-06-2014 at 17:38.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread but I bought the caldera cone that uses esbit and a Foster's beer can and took it out for the first time this weekend and it's a great little setup. Weighs in at 8 oz for the can, cone, stove, caddy, 3 esbit tabs, and cozy. The can is the cookpot and the caddy is food grade plastic so you have 2 bowls if you'd ever need them.

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-keg-gvp
    This is all I've used for the past five years.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    This is all I've used for the past five years.
    I've used esbit with a cone for the past several years. Esbit has always been my fuel of choice... The Foster's setup that I just got is a step up from my earlier setup using a 500 ml pot

"Sorry for all these questions. It is a significant investment (for a stove) and I want to make sure I don't have to buy it twice!"

Before spending the "big bucks" for the sidewinder I called and spoke to Rand who is a co-owner of Trail Designs who also designed the Caldera line-up. He will spend as much time on the phone as you need to answer all questions. Go to the source.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mapman View Post
    "Sorry for all these questions. It is a significant investment (for a stove) and I want to make sure I don't have to buy it twice!"

Before spending the "big bucks" for the sidewinder I called and spoke to Rand who is a co-owner of Trail Designs who also designed the Caldera line-up. He will spend as much time on the phone as you need to answer all questions. Go to the source.

Good luck.
    This is true. But I also wanted to have feedback from the users. Especially regarding the reliability/robustness of the fissure system.
    Minos

I have the Sidewinder set-up with the Zelph Starlyte stove. Everything fits into the pot. I love it dearly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I got Zelph's modified Starlyte to work in my Caldera cone and did not like the results in long boil time. On contacting Zelph I found that yes by removing the insert it would act as a (unmodified) Starlyte. I found no issues in using that in 'the cone' Later I did end up using a steal washer as a restrictor to allow more control over cooking and that also worked well.

btw the lid that Zelph offers is great in that it is green and looks really nice but mine cracked and I am about it, it would be really nice is Zelph would send me a replacement
    I'd be glad to send you a free replacement and might even reinforce it some how How did you manage to crack it?

Journal Entries

I'm not sure how I cracked it or it cracked. I used the Starlyte almost exclusively when I was ridgerunning this past spring/summer, which due to the time I have, I ended up doing far more cooking then ever on the trail, also as you see, with how to make it simmer.

My best 2 guesses is that just repeated use, taking on and off the lid a lot, perhaps with some, but not a lot, of sun exposure weakened dried out the plastic. The second possibility is that something got compressed against the lid in my bag and the bending in split it, or some combo of the two perhaps.

Thank you Zelph, I'll PM my address for the replacement.

Images

[QUOTE=Starchild;1915519I used the Starlyte almost exclusively when I was ridgerunning this past spring/summer, which due to the time I have, I ended up doing far more cooking then ever on the trail, also as you see, with how to make it simmer.
    .[/QUOTE]

Nice to have the ability to do more real cooking

The StarLyte can be made to simmer 2 ways, use a carbon fiber simmer pad or use a Fancey Feast cat food can cut down to the appropriate size as shown in the StarLyte thread here at WB DIY forum.

I got your address so I'll send out the replacement tomorrow.

Nice to have the ability to do more real cooking

The StarLyte can be made to simmer 2 ways, use a carbon fiber simmer pad or use a Fancey Feast cat food can cut down to the appropriate size as shown in the StarLyte thread here at WB DIY forum.

I got your address so I'll send out the replacement tomorrow.

What is a "carbon fiber simmer pad" ?

Just curious and google did not return anything...

Minos

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I have the Sidewinder set-up with the Zelph Starlyte stove. Everything fits into the pot. I love it dearly.
    Me too!!!!!!!

Journal Entries

Thanks Zelph, got it last week and also looking to try out the oldie but goodie stove. I was looking for some sort of pot stand and now I have one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Minos View Post
    What is a "carbon fiber simmer pad" ?

Just curious and google did not return anything...

Minos
    it's been hidden up until now. It was available on backpackinglight.com as a special offer and is now open to all.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/carbon-felt-simmer-pad.php

The Caldera Cone Systems are the best way to go if you can afford it. The StarLyte burner that is offered with it makes it nice because of it's size. It fits easily into the kit/pot with all the rest of the goodies. A definite "plus" is the fact it is spill proof. Western States have fire bans on a lot and the StarLyte is very popular out west because of the non-spill feature.

Journal Entries

Way to go Zelph a single Starlyte can now boil and simmer.

it's been hidden up until now. It was available on backpackinglight.com as a special offer and is now open to all.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/carbon-felt-simmer-pad.php

The Caldera Cone Systems are the best way to go if you can afford it. The StarLyte burner that is offered with it makes it nice because of it's size. It fits easily into the kit/pot with all the rest of the goodies. A definite "plus" is the fact it is spill proof. Western States have fire bans on a lot and the StarLyte is very popular out west because of the non-spill feature.
    Oh great. That looks awesome.
    Hopefully you got my email in time.
    Minos

I have three Caldera Cone systems, two jetboils, a Trangia and other alchy stoves, a Whisperlite, and admittedly a serious stove problem!! I have the Evernew 1.3L and while I love the pot, it is way more pot than I need for my needs. I don't even bring it for two people. My Foster's or Toaks 850 is big enough for two of us to use on a trip. BTW +3 on the Starlyte by Zelph. I have 3 of them and did a video where I baked in my Foster's pot with one.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++