WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you Moon the Cog Railway on Mt. Washington?

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Mooning the Cog Railway on Mt. Washington

What percentage of hikers moon the Cog Railway on Mt. Washington??
    Or, I should say, who honors this tradition???

(I would like to vote on this but since I am not a thru-hiker I would be unable to vote on this but it is something that I do look forward to doing.)

Images

I was up there twice last summer. There's an incredible amount of coal on the ground near the tracks. And all that black smoke. I've never mooned it, though.

Default Saluting the Cog

For those of you who don't know what this is all about, the Cog Railway is a nasty, loathsome, noisy, coal-spewing choo-choo train that has been hauling fat tourists up Mt. Washington for nearly a century. For more years than I can rememeber, thru-hikers have chosen to salute this unfortunate and ill-placed piece of modern technology by mooning the bejeezus out of it when they cross the train tracks just below the Washington summit. Not only does it make for truly memorable photographs, but where else will one have the golden opportunity to do this to 400 morbidly obese New York Yankee fans all at one blow? (And incidentally, for those of you who will no doubt be firing off angry comments re. the maturity, tastelessness, and downright incivility of the practice of Cog Moonage, be aware that the passengers simply LOVE it when this happens---far from being offended, they usually applaud).

It is expected that the members of the thru-hiking Class of 2003 will honor this venerable and worthy tradition when they reach New Hampshire, and I thank Ann for bringing it to their attention.

Default Thanks Baltimore Jack!!!!

LMAO...wonderful description of the deed in true Tarlinesque style!!!!!

Images

Jack well Stated!

WB
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

Really surprised at the reactions to that statement, especially from the New Hampshirites... You'd think thru-hikers (especially) would know better than to represent the thru-hiking community, which is already looked at with disdain and disgust by most "ordinary" folks, by acting so childish and vulgar.

We didn't and wouldn't, for the simple fact that FAMILIES are the most frequent users of the Cog, and out of respect for the fact that they are on board, trying to enjoy their own type of experience in the mountains.

Hikers are not the only people entitled to the mountains. The cog and auto-roads are the only way for many folks (or should I say, "Fat-tourists-who- bring- money- to- the- economy- in- this state- so -driven- by -tourism -that- without- the- cog- and- things- like- it -we -wouldn't -have- a- pot- to- piss- in?) to take in the splendor of this wonderful state, and stand on a real summit, and I appreciate it for what it is...a nice alternative to the top for people who wouldn't otherwise get to experience the things that we, as thru and section hikers, are fortunate and able enough to undertake.

I ceartainly would take offense if someone moon-ed me while I was on my vacation, and don't kid yourselves that families with impressionable young children don't feel the same way. Why ruin someone else's mountain experience because you feel the need to make a statement? Take your sanctomonious bare-butt somewhere else.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

I'm with you Jumpstart. Mooning the cog is an asinine thing to do. Would these same mooners do it in front of a school in a trail town? I guess hairy asses and children are different at 6000 feet. Bunch of hypocrites.

Default "Mooning the Cog" by Seymour Butz

I think it's also worth pointing out that "mooners" risk getting pegged in the bum with chunks of coal thrown by the engineer and co. Shovelling coal all day gives one quite a throwing arm - don't think you're safe when mooning from 50 yards out!

That said, moon it, and moon it good. If the train isn't there when you cross the tracks, wait. Katahdin ain't going anywhere!
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

GA-ME 02 Kilted Hiker Trail Yeti's Avatar
    Images

QUOTE]That said, moon it, and moon it good. If the train isn't there when you cross the tracks, wait. Katahdin ain't going anywhere![/QUOTE]
    All I'm gonna say is.....I waited.
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

Default Which is more inappropriate?

I realized the post encouraging Cog Moonage would result in several outrgaed replies. I was not disappointed.

A few quick questions: On the one side, we have a noisy, smelly, polluting, low-grade coal-burning 19th century monstrousity, that is allowed to exist in a wilderness setting solely because its proprietors have secured a sweetheart-deal longterm lease. Obviously, if anyone wanted to start such a similar venture today, it'd be strangled in the cradle---there's no way such a thing would be permitted today, as it's widely recognized that a polluting train is singularly out of place in a backcountry setting. Oh, let's also consider, when talking about the benefits of the Cog, that 99% of the litter, cigarette butts, etc., that are found atop Mt. Washington originate with the folks who get up the mountain by Train or car; in short, the Cog brings thousands of folks up there who haven't a clue about respecting or properly caring for the very fragile place they've elected to visit.

On the other side, we have a few bare butts, viewed for a few seconds at a distance of a hundred yards or so.

On the whole, I think the Cog is far more objectionable. After all, one is likely to see more bare skin on network television or in the Sunday newspaper fashion advertisements.

Question to the folks who are so put out over the mooning issue: What have YOU done lately to make things better in the White Mountains? Done any Trail maintenance in New Hampshire lately? Believe me, we can always use the help up here. Contributed to a local hiking club? Donated money to land conservancies? Have you done any of these? Or is your sole concern regarding preserving the beauty and serenity of the Whites limited to telling folks to keep their shorts on?

Really, folks, this is silly and a non-issue. The Cog Railway is an affront to the Mountains. It is singularly out of place and is an anachronism that simply doesn't belong there. Hikers, for years, have held the Cog in great disdain, and this is why they salute it. Oh, I should also stress, as I've previously mentioned, that the Cog's passengers LOVE this tradition and are unhappy when it does NOT occur during their rides.

Seriously, folks, this is not the kinda thing that finished off the Roman Empire; I really think there are more important things to get worked up over.

Images

Got it. Moon the train. Consider it a done deal.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I had every intention to, however the day we crossed Washington the visibility was probably five feet and freezing rain was coming down. We could only hear the train go by. Dropping my pants at that point would seem to be a self-critiquing item.

Default Baltimore Jack

As usual, right on the mark. Thanks Jack

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I'll be damned jack..I agree with ya...

smokymtnsteve

Images

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jumpstart

I ceartainly would take offense if someone moon-ed me while I was on my vacation, and don't kid yourselves that families with impressionable young children don't feel the same way. Why ruin someone else's mountain experience because you feel the need to make a statement? Take your sanctomonious bare-butt somewhere else.

and I certainly 'take offense " when the NPS enlarge tunnels so that even BIGGER rvs can cross the smokies and I take offense when Fat-tourists-who- bring- money- to- the- economy- in- this state- so -driven- by -tourism drive up to clingmans dome in the smokies and have a paved path and flush toilets and then go down to Cades Cove in the smokies and drive a round a loop road right smack in the middle of one of the most beautiful valleys in the smokies... the Fat-tourists can force thier polluting noise filled recreational vehicles up to these fragile summits...with road grading,... oil spilling...destructive behaviors...and someone thinks that a part of the human anatomy is offensive....maybe this impressionable children MAY learn something from the mooning experience that they can remember...but the tourist industry and petro industry wouldn't approvewould they???

Mooning the cog is childish. I don't think children who witness it are going to gain any lasting lessons other than how silly some "grown-ups" can be.
    "In the mountains, there you feel free." T.S. Eliot

Listen to you pseudo- treehuggers. You act like the Smokys or anywhere on the east coast for that matter is pristine wilderness. The park used to have hundreds of families living there till they got kicked out by the government. Don't be a hypocrite and hitch to Gatlinburg when you get to Newfound gap.

Images

Lone wolf who the he// wants to go to gatlinburg,,,

the armpit of TN.

90% of thru-hikers go to Gatlinburg. Who the hell would want to go in the summit building on Mt. Washington if it offends people. These same whiners go in there and eat high price food all the while bitching about the "environment." Give me a f$%&*n break!

Images

yea I know that most thruhikers go into gatlinburg but who REALLY wants to!!!

the top of washington and the top of Roan mtn are all to accessible...what do ya think make the trail handicapped accesible so a bunch of whining LIBERALS and thier bratty kids with thier entire FAMILIES can drive thier fat ass up to the best summits ......best thing you could do for those folks is to force them out of thier cars and rvs and let'em walk a little bit...

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++