WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you Moon the Cog Railway on Mt. Washington?

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    It's mercury that i'm talking about. That's the one that has the most to do with the fact that it's harmful to be eating fish caught in America. Are you trying to tell me that the smoke from that train smokestack has no mercury in it?
    Nope. I'm telling you that smoke from the train adds an insignificant amount of mercury as compared with the thousands of tons of mercury that fall on Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and other eastern states.

I agree that of all the coal being burned to make electricity, heat plants, etc. The amount of pollution from the smoke billowing out of the cog's engine is minute. However, this is supposedly a protected area and the AMC has the reponsibility of maintaining a pristine environment. How does this polluting, tourist ride, help maintain the fragile alpine, above treeline, environment? beats me!
    I remember my first time up there, my friend who was a local, gave me all kinds of verbal abuse for stepping off of the planks one time. So, i wonder: how does he live with looking up into those mountains and continually see that smoke. And when you hike near the tracks, i remember big chunks of unburned coke that either fell out of the cars or was not cumbusted properly and came out of the stack.
    My sister road that thing one time and came back with her face (around her mouth and nose) all black. I wonder what that did to her lungs?
    Anyway, the least we can do is moon the basta$$$d

No. We could blow the mutha***a up!

Journal Entries

I agree that of all the coal being burned to make electricity, heat plants, etc. The amount of pollution from the smoke billowing out of the cog's engine is minute. However, this is supposedly a protected area and the AMC has the reponsibility of maintaining a pristine environment. How does this polluting, tourist ride, help maintain the fragile alpine, above treeline, environment? beats me! ....
    The AMC does not have the responsibility of maintaining a pristine environment. That's the job of the US Forest Service. AMC has a license to run the huts and volunteers to maintain some of the trails.

Nor does AMC have any control over the train. The train is owned by a separate business, which also has a license from the US Forest Service, I believe. The train may own its tracks and facilities outright. I really don't know.

I believe the auto road is a separate business that owns the road, but I'm not positive. Again, it has nothing to do with AMC. Nor does AMC have any role in the summit buildings, which are mostly on New Hampshire State land.

Weary
    Last edited by weary; 06-19-2006 at 23:10.

ive spent some time in the area, and from what i heard from diffrent amc people, especially the amc people i did some trail work with, the cogs impact is very small range, that is, it screws up the area around it, but most of the soot and bad things fall close by, so it doesnt do that much damage to the whole area, compared to cars, whose effect is more sperad out, and effects the whole area. that said, i hate the cog, because seeing those plumes of black smoke ruin the experience for me.

Those plumes of black smoke will be but a memory, before long. The cog trains are being converted to burn diesel fuel.
    Roland

Default I wish I had known

I voted that I had neveer considered showing my butt to the cog railway only because I had never heard of this and when I hiked from Adams to Washington I didn't moon it. If I had only known about this I would have gladly dropped my drawers.

It was one of those crappy washington days were you could barely see 50 feet and it was snowing, raining, 40 degrees, and windy as all he// by the time we got to the track we were tired and missreable, just dreaming about going inside for a few minutes at the top before continuing on. then that stupid thing showed up full of people, and the dumb @$$ engineer tells us we should get inside because its going to rain. I wanted to throw a lump of coal at him. So me and my girlfriend are standing there waiting for the train to go past, looking like we all do after 2 days on the trail and people were treating us like a tourist attraction comming to our side and taking pictures like it was so strange to see someone hiking the mountain.

I was so proud when I got to the sumit I went in to the shop and bought a Tshirt for me and my girlfriend saying "This BODY climbed Mt. Washington", I wear it alot, and everytime I see one of those bumber stickers saying that the car drove up the Mountain I just think that they took the easy way and I actually accomplished something.

Fofer

Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    Those plumes of black smoke will be but a memory, before long. The cog trains are being converted to burn diesel fuel.
    how are they going to throw diesel fuel at hikers??!!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    I was so proud when I got to the sumit I went in to the shop and bought a Tshirt for me and my girlfriend saying "This BODY climbed Mt. Washington", I wear it alot, and everytime I see one of those bumber stickers saying that the car drove up the Mountain I just think that they took the easy way and I actually accomplished something.

Fofer
    How about the bumper sticker that says: "The driver of this car ran up Mt. Washington."

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    How about the bumper sticker that says: "The driver of this car ran up Mt. Washington."
    I haven't see that one, that sounds like a challenge.

You just missed it.
    www.mountwashingtonroadrace.com

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes
    how are they going to throw diesel fuel at hikers??!!
    Hmmm... let's hope they don't team up with the citizens of Damascus...

Though diesel fuel might improve the smell of some of us.

Default Childish behavior?!?

If mooning the cog is childish then what do you call the small group of fans that had tickets to see the Ivory Coast play someone else in the World Cup, but had to do it pantless? The pants were the color of the team (orange), but had a logo of a small German brewery on them. It seems Anhauser-Busch has the sponsor rights to the World Cup and hope to get more Europeans to drink their product (yeah right) and officials wouldn't let the fans in with their pants. So they took them off, went in and cheered in their underwear!

Quote Originally Posted by oyvay
    If mooning the cog is childish then what do you call the small group of fans that had tickets to see the Ivory Coast play someone else in the World Cup, but had to do it pantless? The pants were the color of the team (orange), but had a logo of a small German brewery on them. It seems Anhauser-Busch has the sponsor rights to the World Cup and hope to get more Europeans to drink their product (yeah right) and officials wouldn't let the fans in with their pants. So they took them off, went in and cheered in their underwear!
    NOW THOSE ARE DEDICATED FANS!!!

Images

Default Saluting the cog

I was up on Washington on 8/17 and got this pic of the cog receiving a salute.

Anyway, the least we can do is moon the basta$$$d
    Didn't we moon a train out west as well!

If y'all had real balls you'd disable Hayduke style. Showing your hairy azz is kinda sissy.

You know, I have climbed the mountain several times. I have also section hiked through the area. I have stood on the side of the tracks and waved to the men, women, and CHILDREN, on board. Just because I did this, doesn't mean I have never ridden the train. It was a once in a lifetime event for my choo-choo-train-loving son, at the time 4 years old. It is a special relic, landmark, and link to the past for NH residents who just lost their state favorite "Old Man on the Mountain". The train has been in service for over 100 years. Any damage done, was done decades ago, so currently there are no fragile plants in the train corridor to fight for. Besides, the next time you think about dropping your drawers for the train, think of this....is that the view that you want your child to see, a hairy ass and balls. I don't think so!!!

All those hikers who moon because of "environmental" reasons just left the summit building after gourging on chili, burgers, fies, etc. brought up by exhaust spewing vehicles. Friggin hypocrite hippie wannabes.

Quote Originally Posted by latte
    think of this....is that the view that you want your child to see, a hairy ass and balls.
    Hows about the old man w/ the polaroid! He has his own "traditions"

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++