WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default MSR's Windboiler

igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I bought a reactor about a year ago, because I found it at half price.

The burner system looks the same as the Windboiler.

On my third use, My lighter took three flicks to light. When it did light there was to much gas in the burner head. The stove poofed and then nothing.

Upon taking the stove to the local sporting goods I discovered. On the reactor there was a safety circuit which prevents you from relighting in such a circumstance and can only be reset at the factory.

True they say that if your first attempt to light the stove is successful you must turn off the valve and let it clear before trying again. But really is three flicks of a bic too much time. Not to me, I returned the stove.

I tried to find the manual for the new Windboiler on line. No luck. But before I would consider one, I would want to know that the offending safety device had been removed, or at least field resettable. Otherwise you may be stuck in the wilds with no stove.

Journal Entries

From the site it is 15.25oz, which I would have to assume is w/o a fuel canister, which would add about 6 oz or so, which puts it nicely inline with the 1L (not Sol) Jetboils. Like the Jetboil, it looks like there are pieces that are not needed which could lower the weight a bit. IIRC the scaled down reactor burner, which this one seems to be using, lost some efficiency over the larger ones it appears like the radiant system can only be shrunk so much before there is a decline in efficiency. The price is on the higher side at $129, compared to the Jetboil offerings at that size.

Ercoupe, if what you say still exists, that type of safety device would be a huge safety liability for a stove that is made to run in the harshest conditions. Not being able to get the stove lit in near freezing weather because of this tripping could be a big and potentially dangerous problem to encounter on the trail.

It would be interesting to see how well this does, and if people really buy such a system that's premise is bad weather capable. Personally if I have those conditions where this stove is warranted I most likely didn't hiking go that day, so I don't think about buying a stove based on conditions I don't plan to be out on the trail, but yes sometimes it happens.
    Last edited by Starchild; 10-07-2014 at 12:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Ercoupe View Post
    I tried to find the manual for the new Windboiler on line. No luck. But before I would consider one, I would want to know that the offending safety device had been removed, or at least field resettable. Otherwise you may be stuck in the wilds with no stove.
    The new Windboiler does have a over heating safety system in place but it is field resettable.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

If anyone is interested, I've got a fairly in depth look at the features of the Windboiler on my blog: MSR Windboiler -- First Look.

I've also got some rather interesting videos of a Jetboil and a Windboiler in high winds. The difference between the two is pretty dramatic (major Jetboil FAIL).
    MSR Windboiler vs. Jetboil -- Wind Testing

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

++ New Posts ++