Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Most people are going to be good to you. Every once in a while you'll get a weirdo. Even more rare you'll get someone who is set on hurting you, doesn't happen much but it does once in a while, protect yourself. Maybe ask for their ID

Images

Trust your gut instinct. The ride you may pass on won't be the last one. Always good to traveling with a companion or two. There are good people out there......but there are also bad ones lurking. BE AWARE of your surroundings! ! !
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18107

I had a pretty easy time hitching along the AT in Vermont, and along the whole Long Trail. I always felt safe, people were friendly. I agree with quasarr, it can be easier to be picked up as a female. Here are some tips someone told me on the trail that turned out to be super helpful!

smile - makes you look nice. I heard a story once where the driver said he picked up the couple cause they had nice teeth so he knew they wasn't junkies
    make eye contact with each driver
    put your poles in your pack - so they are not perceived as weapons
    start walking - so you don't appear lazy

I'm not sure how true the reasoning behind all these are, its just what someone told me in a shelter. but hey, its always worked for me!!!

In particular that near the AT is a special place. Locals understand your situation. Very much different than say hitching from LA to St. Louis. But do keep your weirdo radar on, and if your female hitch with a partner.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I've heard taking a picture of their license plate # and or asking if you can take their picture so you remember their kindness. Kind of like evidence of who they are.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

I am a 40-something year old guy, who came to this forum to see what women hikers are talking about. This thread caught my eye. My advice to young women hitching alone…. DON"T DO IT. Most people are nice, but if you get the weirdo you could get into trouble fast. Not worth it. If you must hitch, do so with one or more fellow hikers. A can of pepper spray isn't a bad idea either.

Images

I agree with Pic N. I'm 50 something, 6'6" and my feeling is play on the safe side. Get to know people on the trail and move in packs when going off the trail. There are good people out there...... But there's a lot of sick sob's too. It not my motive to put the fear into folks..... Just use your head and trust your gut. Enjoy the hike....
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”
    Albert Einstein

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=18107

I have hiked solo for hundreds of miles, and traveled solo for weeks at a time. I have hitchhiked in the US and Europe. And the one time I have been sexually groped was at age 16, riding the school bus less than five miles from my home. So what's really dangerous here? I guess if I never left the house at all I might have been safe?

I don't think women are wrong to be nervous about hitchhiking. And I'm not saying women have to hitchhike, in fact nobody should if it makes them feel unsafe.

The women's forum is a good place for dialogue and I am happy when men read these posts and care about the issues facing women on the trail. What I don't like is when men come in here, telling women what they shouldn't be doing and how dangerous the world is. Women already know that! ALL women have experienced sexual harassment in their lives (whether physical or verbal). Women already know what men are capable of, we don't need you to tell us that thank you very much.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    Women already know what men are capable of, we don't need you to tell us that thank you very much.
    Fair enough, and I won't come back to this forum. But I would say before I leave that a woman alone in a car with a complete stranger is in an incredibly vulnerable situation. Every hitchhiker who has been raped or killed by a sicko probably had many successful hitches under their belt before the one that went wrong. In fairness, I saw the post count of the original poster (19) and for some reason thought it was her age. I guess my dad instinct came out because I have daughters around that age. Carry on!

Journal Entries
    Images

Not a women, but I agree with the posts that say you don't have to hitch alone. As a man, I would be happy to hitch with you whether I was going into town or not. You will find others in our trail family as you hike, that will do the same. I suggest approaching a male a day or so in advance, since you'll all be looking at your guide books for upcoming resupply options, then ask them to accompany you for safety reason only. Remember, you don't want any pink blazers to take it as a come on. Have a Great Hike!!

~Boots~
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I find the best place to look for rides is with fellow hikers at a parking lot. I do not hitchhike.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Women already know what men are capable of, we don't need you to tell us that thank you very much.[/QUOTE]

The OP mentioned a fear that she was not sure had merit and so people commented on it. Seems you have taken the responsibility of speaking for her and all women, what they know and what they want to hear. Pretty bold I would think. Maybe you have chosen a life where you have rubbed elbows with the dregs of society but not everyone has. Both men and women get themselves into trouble making mistakes or bad decisions. Some people are lucky and tempt fate all the time with no ill effects, some aren't and pay dearly for an innocent decision. Few people are hurt because they were overly cautious but quite a bit more are from the lack of caution. When you were hitchhiking all over, you just weren't picked up by a Ted Bundy.

Hitching makes me nervous too, so typically I shuttle. Keeping that list handy relieves so much stress! Just keep your creep radar on and don't get in a car with anyone that makes you even remotely nervous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++