WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default How many on this forum have donated to the ATC?

Just wondering? It was more about this site so you get the picture.

I posted a similar type thread in the members section and figured I'd test out the general section. Please don't get this thread locked! It was more about this site so you get the picture.

Can you post a thread here with a user poll attached? It makes it so you're choice of A, B, C won't be shown to others but we can see the results.
    It would be interesting to see the the percentage of poor, middle class, and rich percentages. I doubt many rich out there. They don't get rish by donating unless its to a mayor, governor, or congress member to get their projects passed!

I think it would be fun to do one for this popup AD free site also.

Just Sayin….

I donate to show appreciation for the help that I have received here. That and the stickers are ways I feel I can give something back.

One thing to consider though, most of the banners that indicate donations only stay up for a year after the donation is made.

Many who post here have made a donation in the past.... Or even many donations in the past.

Others give in other ways, there are many trail maintainers here (God bless every one of you!).
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

I used to donate, but they've got too much into the wilderness hotel business for me. They've also bought up some camps which they are fixing up (I assume to rent). I really appreciate the trail side to what they do, but there's nothing worse than walking up to a motel on the trail, full of day trippers eating steaks and drinking wine. Then of course, you have to camp a certain distance from the thing... so it's just a pain and not what I think the ATC should be involved in.

Donated before I did my first overnight on the AT. My wife has seen the work they do and the community and is all in for continued membership.

Images

A few times.... Planning now to donate to the cause to fight the Tuxedo hotel plan in Sterling Forest. I'd recommend the same if you don't want to see a ginormous hotel marring your trail views when hiking through NY. How these developers can get around federally protected land that's already been fought for and won reeks of corrupt politicians accepting bribes from wealthy developers. More info here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/who-...uxedo-new-york

Without the ATC, we wouldn't have the trail as we do today. It's important to help them if you want your trail protected!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
    I used to donate, but they've got too much into the wilderness hotel business for me. They've also bought up some camps which they are fixing up (I assume to rent). I really appreciate the trail side to what they do, but there's nothing worse than walking up to a motel on the trail, full of day trippers eating steaks and drinking wine. Then of course, you have to camp a certain distance from the thing... so it's just a pain and not what I think the ATC should be involved in.
    I believe that you may be confusing the ATC (Appalachian Trail Conservancy) with the AMC (Appalachian Mt. Club).
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I donate directly, rather than keep up a membership. While nothing is wrong with them; I found I didn't read or make use of the publications from ATC, Sierra Club, and others. So to get the most bang for my limited buck, I just donate and forgo the membership so the money gets spent on the organization rather than on newsletters or magazines.

FWIW, I believe there is an option to simply opt out of mailings/publications, but easier for me to just send a check when I can.

Images

Yes, I'm a member and donate and also give gift memberships occasionally.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I have donated the past few years.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

I am pleased to be able to support ATC annually and have provided for it in my estate plan.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

ATC, yes. AMC, no.

Journal Entries

I am a member also, have donated in the past and plan to continue...
    2000 miler......long sections Summited July 2015

Been a life member since 1980. Donate annually at the minimum and have been a volunteer on the ATC trail crews probably 15 times.
    More walking, less talking.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I am an ATC Life Member, and pay MATC annual dues.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I am finding the original post a bit difficult to decipher. A, B, C? Poor, middle class, rich?

I live and hike in the midwest. I find this site to be a fantastic resource for hiking, camping and outdoors life-style tips. I participate on Whiteblaze for the abundance of information applicable to trails in general rather than AT specific.

I am a supporter of the Superior Hiking Trail. I am a member of the SHT association. I choose license plates for my vehicles that add an annual premium which is funneled to caring for my state's critical habitats. My tax form includes a Wildlife Check off which allows my to direct dollars to a world I value.

So, is the question an attempt to determine how environmentally conscientious are the members? Or, perhaps what type of individual is a contributor to the ATC? What is it that you are "Just sayin' "?

I donate by going to different locations and making purchases, like this weekend. I took my wife, dog and two friends to the Appalachian trail museum in PA. Bought the book Thru, a orange bandana for Knucklehead [our dog], and a few things to give as gifts this holiday season. My two friends spent well over $100.00 as well.
    I also spend well over $1000.00 dollars a year purchasing hunting and fishing lic. in both NJ and PA, and sometimes NY. This money ay not go directly to the AT but it does help protect some of the land the AT goes through.
    I guess I can do more.

RUNT ''13''

Section Hiker

I am a member of the ATC and I donate to WB.net.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I donate by going to different locations and making purchases, like this weekend. I took my wife, dog and two friends to the Appalachian trail museum in PA. Bought the book Thru, a orange bandana for Knucklehead [our dog], and a few things to give as gifts this holiday season. My two friends spent well over $100.00 as well.
    I also spend well over $1000.00 dollars a year purchasing hunting and fishing lic. in both NJ and PA, and sometimes NY. This money may not go directly to the AT but it does help protect some of the land the AT goes through.
    I guess I can do more.

RUNT ''13''

ooops! sorry for the double post

I donate every year to the ATC and to Whiteblaze.net. I wish I could do more for both of them.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++