WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Found Dog,

Default Found Dog,

, a coworker was hiking along the App Trail this weekend on Mt Weather (between Bluemont and Berryville) and found a dog.

(he found the boys on their hike up and stayed with them all evening and slept right next to their tent).

male, light brown with white patches on his feet and a few little white spots. We couldn't figure out what kind of dog he was, but he was short and stocky. No tags.

We took him to the Loudoun Animal Shelter - 39820 Charles Town Pike Waterford, VA (540) 882-3211

Quote Originally Posted by 64bluejeans View Post
    (he found the boys on their hike up and stayed with them all evening and slept right next to their tent).

male, light brown with white patches on his feet and a few little white spots. We couldn't figure out what kind of dog he was, but he was short and stocky. No tags.

We took him to the Loudoun Animal Shelter - 39820 Charles Town Pike Waterford, VA (540) 882-3211
    He is a pit bull type dog. Here is the FB link....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Edit: his information has been shared with multiple pit bull rescues in the area which might help locate the owner.

So let me get this straight.
    You found an untrained dog with no tags or chip, and you want to return it to its previous owner so it can be further neglected and possibly abused
    ???????????????????
    Stick with rescue. Then throw the previous owner out on the street with nowhere to go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    You found an untrained dog with no tags or chip, and you want to return it to its previous owner so it can be further neglected and possibly abused
    ???????????????????
    Stick with rescue. Then throw the previous owner out on the street with nowhere to go.
    Tru Dat, Im just tryin feed some Red Tail Squirrels, with the coon just a step behind...

???????????????????
    Is there evidence that the dog was abused? Not having a chip or collar is not evidence of abuse.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

???????????????????
    Keep in mind that "kids" sometimes take animals for "joy rides" and drop them off miles from their homes. Don't know why people would do something like that but they do.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

Hope ole Boy finds a Good Home...

A lost dog without a chip or collar is evidence of neglect. Abuse usually is not far behind.
    Good luck to the dog finding a good home.

when I worked for a dog/cat chipping company my dog had no chip. Everybody wanted to chip my dog. I agreed if they would chip themselves they could chip my dog as it is so painless. Funny thing nobody thought it was painless enough to chip then selves :-) and my dog died at 18 years old unlost and unchipped :-)

A lost dog without a chip or collar is evidence of neglect. Abuse usually is not far behind.
    Good luck to the dog finding a good home.
    The dog may have slipped its collar. No need to jump to conclusions nor to give the OP a hard time for attempting a good deed.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    The dog may have slipped its collar. No need to jump to conclusions nor to give the OP a hard time for attempting a good deed.
    Agreed.

Best of luck to the dog, and thanks to the OP for your kindness..
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Why all the hostility? People find a stray dog and take it to a shelter. Isn't that a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Why all the hostility? People find a stray dog and take it to a shelter. Isn't that a good thing?
    Yes, of course it is a good thing. Sometimes I'm amazed by the "controversies" that pop up here...

Me, too, Coffee. Life is too short...

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    +1

Was going to say pretty much the same thing but Alligator beat me to it.
    Slipping a collar or breaking free from a property line without a collar on at the time does not mean it was abused or neglected. My dog doesn't have a chip and all of his collars come off at night to let his neck breathe. My thanks goes out to the OP for trying. Finding a rescue for a Pitt-mix isn't as easy as people seem to think it is... Most already have too many dogs to care for.

Default Found Dog,

"A lost dog without a chip or collar is evidence of neglect."
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Sometimes dogs manage to escape both their yard and their collar. My absolutely beloved (and most assuredly not abused) lab/pit mix has done both. She wears a properly fit, snug collar with tags, and we have a very large, securely fenced yard. It is awful for a loving dog owner when their dog manages to dig a hole under the fence. Trust me, I know! I thank the OP for trying so hard to find the owner. If the owner is like me, s/he will be looking all over for their "baby."

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    +1

Was going to say pretty much the same thing but Alligator beat me to it.
    Slipping a collar or breaking free from a property line without a collar on at the time does not mean it was abused or neglected. My dog doesn't have a chip and all of his collars come off at night to let his neck breathe. My thanks goes out to the OP for trying. Finding a rescue for a Pitt-mix isn't as easy as people seem to think it is... Most already have too many dogs to care for.
    ...and I was thinkin' it.

My lab/Medium size terrier mix has a neck and a head that are the same size and on time his neck was a slight bit larger than his head. His head was just slightly bigger enough that I had would have had to keep his collar so tight it would have been abusive. In fact on one or two occasions he did slip his collar while we were out; thank goodness he has good recall/pack loyalty that he stayed with me/allowed me to replace the collar. Poop Happens hopefully,squeezebox, ​you will never know this kind of poop happening to you!

I can't believe someone is upset that you are trying to return a dog.

++ New Posts ++