WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Practice Overnights in New England (preferably within 3 hour drive of Boston)

I'm getting ready to hike the AT next year and desperately need to get in some practice overnights. Here's what I'm looking for:

• Within 3 hours of Boston
    • Single night out and back or loops for Sat-Sun weekend shakedowns
    • 2-3 night out and back or loops for the week I have off at work (10/18-26)
    • I'd like for accessibility of camping/water to be on the easier side as this will be my first time backpacking
    • I also think I'd prefer lower altitude camping (maybe MA rather than NH) so that the temps aren't as low

Typically I seek out hikes that are harder or have great views. For this, I'm just looking to get comfortable hiking out, setting up camp, going through the camp routine, closing up camp, and hiking back. Just need a place to try out gear and see what works.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Denefi

Quote Originally Posted by denefi View Post
    I'm getting ready to hike the AT next year and desperately need to get in some practice overnights. Here's what I'm looking for:

• Within 3 hours of Boston
    • Single night out and back or loops for Sat-Sun weekend shakedowns
    • 2-3 night out and back or loops for the week I have off at work (10/18-26)
    • I'd like for accessibility of camping/water to be on the easier side as this will be my first time backpacking
    • I also think I'd prefer lower altitude camping (maybe MA rather than NH) so that the temps aren't as low

Typically I seek out hikes that are harder or have great views. For this, I'm just looking to get comfortable hiking out, setting up camp, going through the camp routine, closing up camp, and hiking back. Just need a place to try out gear and see what works.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Denefi
    It really depends if you want to do a part of the AT on these jaunts as opposed to other trails. I would suggest looking at southern NH for some trails that would be good to acclimate you to overnights. If you feel like a drive inside your 3 hr range, Mt Greylock may provide what you are looking for, plenty of camping, nice views and peak to just past peak foliage.

Thanks for responding. I'll look into these. I don't really care whether or not it's on the AT. I just want for trail side camping to be allowed.

Ct to Ma would be a nice few days. If you are looking for some company I meet be able to fit in a short hike.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Work the Upper Goose Pond Cabin into your hike. It will be closed, but you can camp on the porch or at the many available sites, and the lake shouldn't be missed. The privy and picnic tables, as well as the fireplace will still be available too. It's an 8 mile hike from Rt. 23 in Tyringham and just south of that is a nice little view from Tyringham Cobble. This is all in the Lee/Becket Ma area, and just about 2 1/2 hrs from Boston on the Pike. You can see pics of the area on our gallery
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Cmc222 View Post
    Ct to Ma would be a nice few days. If you are looking for some company I meet be able to fit in a short hike.
    Awesome. My guess is this terrain would be a little easier (and it would be less cold) than further north. Might be what I'm looking for. I'm happy to coordinate and see if the timing works. Would you be looking to do a day or overnight? Feel free to private message me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Work the Upper Goose Pond Cabin into your hike. It will be closed, but you can camp on the porch or at the many available sites, and the lake shouldn't be missed. The privy and picnic tables, as well as the fireplace will still be available too. It's an 8 mile hike from Rt. 23 in Tyringham and just south of that is a nice little view from Tyringham Cobble. This is all in the Lee/Becket Ma area, and just about 2 1/2 hrs from Boston on the Pike. You can see pics of the area on our gallery
    This looks great! 8 miles out for a nice camping area would be a perfect way to acclimate. Also, wonderful description. Looking through your pictures now. Do you know if I can park overnight at the trailhead on Rt 23?

Images

Another option is park at Beartown state forest - you can camp there and use it as your basecamp, The A.T. goes through the park so you can hike north one day then hike south the next, Gives you the option to go into Great Barrington also.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mount Greylock, overnight parking totally safe on top. Rte 20 on Lee-Becket totally safe. Rte 23 parking lot, worries me but have parked there for 3 nites with no issue.
    Also, I assume overmountain lot is safe. But is usually full on nice weekends. Also, I'm lucky living in the area and have friends less than a click from trailhead. But at this point I'm burned out on Massachusetts, so my missions are usually of the trash pick up in and out. Stay away from overnighting on Pittsfield Road/ Washington Mt Road and Blotz Road. Also Shays memorial isn't a trail parking lot. Jug end Road is in the same class as Rte 23.

taconic crest trail/at loop. (search this forum for more info on it)

southern vt west ridge/ at/lt loop (just outside of bennington)

the MA section of the AT, CT too

Thanks everyone for your help! This gives me a lot to work with.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Try the Tully Trail. It's a 20-mile loop, closer to Boston than anything listed above and has some nice views and a great waterfall.

http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to...lly-trail.html

AT 2012

Strong suggestion you consider the sunapee monadnock Greenway trail. Close to you and like a mini AT. Shelters, gentle climbs and nice views with the bonus of monadnock, which I would save for the end -a mini katahdin.little traveled gem.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Strong suggestion you consider the sunapee monadnock Greenway trail. Close to you and like a mini AT. Shelters, gentle climbs and nice views with the bonus of monadnock, which I would save for the end -a mini katahdin.little traveled gem.
    I was thinking the same thing I hike that Greenway three times now and to me it's one of the greatest trails in New Hampshire. If you park in the state park you can climb up over the mountain and go to the shelter which sits pretty close to a lake so you should be able to hear loons. Then in the next morning you go back. This hike will let you know if you got your gear right or not.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've parked overnight at the Rt 20 trailhead, the Rt 23 trailhead, and the Goose Pond Rd. trailhead. It's a nice area and there's no problem at any of them. If you're going out for a few days, then NOBO out of Bear Mtn Park with overnights at the shelters and culminating in Upper Goose Pond Cabin might be the way to go. Or SOBO from Rt 20. It's just a beautiful area with some easy hiking and lots of diversity in views and landscapes.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Just be aware that your AT prep needs to include nights that are below freezing and possibly snow on the ground. You will encounter these conditions for potentially several weeks and managing those conditions require different skills than warm weather camping

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Just be aware that your AT prep needs to include nights that are below freezing and possibly snow on the ground. You will encounter these conditions for potentially several weeks and managing those conditions require different skills than warm weather camping
    It shouldn't be a problem finding those kind of conditions to hike in around here soon enough, even though it has been a warm fall so far...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just getting out and doing as much backpacking as possible will be important if you've never been backpacking before. There will be many lessons to learn and it will help you mentally to have some of the "bugs" worked out before you tackle such a huge endeavor. Get to know your gear, develop yours skills, and learn how you handle backpacking challenges.

Good luck!

Thank you all! I've had a chance to look at some of what's been listed and I'm sure that I'm set for a few overnights the week of 10/18-26. I'll dig in further over the next week to come to a final decision.

Regarding cold weather camping, I'm hoping that I'll be set at the start of next year's hike, and will only hit that when I get north. I won't be starting until sometime between 4/28-5/1/2015.

Thanks again!

Throwing another option out there: The New England National Scenic Trail. It's a relatively new "long-ish" trail.

I'm not sure how it is in the MA section, but it's been enjoyable in CT. Nothing challenging & it runs pretty close to populated areas, if the need arose. It goes right by Quabbin Reservoir, so a little less driving than Western MA.

Some great links in this thread... I've now become aware of the Tully Trail. Looks nice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++