WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cuben Fiber Tarps - Anyone Using This Gear?

I like to dream high end stuff. I don't have a hammock or tenting system yet.

I've been researching the Six Moons Lunar Solo Tent, but took time out to look into hammocks. Has anyone made the leap to Cuben fiber yet? Looks like it outperforms Silnylon in the weight department and does not get heavier when wetted on a re-stuff and pack-up like dampness absorbing Silnylon.

Not sure how it wears and tears on comparison to Silnylon.

Water Monkey who makes great YouTubes makes a funny an interesting video on his Cuben Fiber tarp.

Makers of Cuben Fiber Tarps - http://www.hammockgear.com

Hammock Gear Winter Palace Cuben Tarp - A YouTube by WaterMonkey -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8wzxi74pmw

Images

I have a Winter Palace and have been very happy with it. The only thing not to like is the price.

Images

I've had the Standard Cuben Fiber Tarp with doors for 4 years and love it. Pricey, but worth it.

Sheds rain better, and stands up to strong wind better than sil-nylon.

Packs light, packs small, and doesn't hold as much water when packing up.

There's nothing not to like except possibly the slightly shiny finish.

Many, many hammock campers use cuben fiber tarps, myself included. If you want to see an overview of one I will offer this from a recent trip I took. Forward to the 18:35 mark. Good luck!

http://youtu.be/ZVS1LAsxnM0
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Images

I use the Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Tarp with Doors. I agree with Cadenza's previous comments.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I see the Winter Palace CF3 tarp as a specialty very UL component piece for somone building a UL hammock and/or tarp alone ground dwelling(has the flexibiliy to do both w/ great coverage quite possibly allowing enough coverage for two when used as tarp alone) set-up that has a very good understanding of their end shelter goals. For $395 for a CF tarp alone you'll have to expand your high end dream further if adding a hammock to the set-up. IMO this leaves you the deeper end of the finacial pool as far as comparing to UL CF shelters/tents/tarps made by Hyperlight Mounain Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs, YamaGear, Six Moon Designs, ZPacks, etc.

CF has been discussed extensively as far as its characterisics. Smply browse some of the CF tarp/shelter sites.

I have two CF tarps but made of slighly heavier CF .75 CF that is a bit more durable for my uses.

Good God I love my CF tarp.

- half the weight of my sil tarp, with more coverage
    - doesn't stretch (big problem in the wind with sil)
    - doesn't soak up water
    - easier to field repair than sil, just put on some tape
    - nicer sounding in the rain, not quite as harsh of a tapping as sil

Only downside aside from price is the compressability - cuben doesn't seem to pack down quite as well as sil. And you have to be a little more careful with brush, but that's just a given with any UL stuff.

Images

I use the Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber Tarp with Doors
    I have used one for several years. Weighs in at a whopping 8+ ounces with tie outs. Picked up a used one a few weeks ago ( with tie outs, ridge line and Dutch Gear ) that someone was selling at a price to low to not get it.

I agree that they do not compress as small as a silnylon but I feel the wight difference makes up for it. Most silylon tarps with doors weigh about 19 ounces and up plus tie outs and ridge line.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

I'm surprised to hear others say that sil-nylon packs smaller than cuben!
    That's not my experience. The cuben stuff sack I use for my cuben tarp is very small. I would never be able to cram a sil tarp of the same size into that bag.

I use a Sil tarp. Cuben would be great, though I am not ready to make the $$ leap to one yet. I currently use the Warbonnet Edge, which has yet to get me or my hammock wet. Cuben fiber is a great material, though it is not going to make or break your trip, IMO. Either way, you will still be hanging and off the ground, which is my highest priority when setting up camp!!

I appreciate your responses. I too am steering towards .75 CTFP Cuben. I watch a lot of fashion tarps into tents and various other configurations. Plus a lot of how to hang a hammock or tie prusik knots etc.

I'm still leaning towards tenting currently.

What are the good hammock brands?

Does your hammocks feature a side entry or bottom entry?

Permanently incorporated bug net?

Can you stay warm in the highlands form early spring to early fall without under wrapping just using your sleeping pad?

How much colder is it than going to ground?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woof Shaven View Post
    I appreciate your responses. I too am steering towards .75 CTFP Cuben. I watch a lot of fashion tarps into tents and various other configurations. Plus a lot of how to hang a hammock or tie prusik knots etc.

I'm still leaning towards tenting currently.

Can you stay warm in the highlands form early spring to early fall without under wrapping just using your sleeping pad?

https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

You can find all the answers to your questions in existing posts.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I purchased a CF tarp from HG about a year ago, sold it a month later. Here's why:- The translucency created three issues for me: --- Less privacy --- Green house effect: Sunlight comes in and warms the environment. Good in winter, really bad in summer. --- No shade: No protection from the sun. To me, tarps must provide shade.- Another thing I didn't like was the crinkly nature of the fabric. Rain on the tarp would make a lot of noise.- The things that I liked about CF are that it is very light, doesn't stretch, and doesn't absorb water. Very good and important qualities, but I still prefer my silnylon tarp.

I just had my HG cuben tarp in out in the Smokies last week when all that nasty weather was going through. We got 80 MPH wind gusts and crazy amounts of wind driven rain. The 0.52 oz/sqyd cuben held up perfectly.

Images

Lots of them out there but the Black Bird is my favorite. Also check out Hammeck.com

Only Hennessy offers a bottom entry.

Depends on the model hammock you get

Possible but under quilts are much more comfortable.

With proper gear you can get down to -40 degrees in a hammock

The translucency created three issues for me:
    everything has drawbacks. I like being able to see the moon and stars thru my cuben at night and the daylight does not bother me.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

i got mine 4 years ago. z-pack made it for me (nobody else was making them yet) we designed it after the JRB 9-11. works great.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Ul hammocking can be Very expensive, my setup goes as follows
    zpacks cube tarp with doors-$330- 8oz
    warbonnet black bird-$165-18oz
    Hammock gear under quilt (custom)-$210
    Hammock gear top quilt (custom)-$235
    diy whoppie slings-$10
    Dutch wear mini stingers-$20
    Dutch wear continuous tarp ridge line-$23

But I get the best sleep in my hammock, it does take some used to getting use to.As far as cuben tarp after it rains you can just wipe and shake the water off unlike sil nylon.sil nylon gets very heavy when wet a the stretching is very annoying.i love listening to the rain in my cuben fiber tarp, puts me right to sleep.i always laugh when people say to me u will be screwed with no tress such as the pct.All a hammock is a hanging bivy.all you do is use your trekking pole.tenting is usually lighter but not nearly as comfortable and sleep is very important to me on the trail.

I purchased one from HG,not because I wanted to,because I had to in order to get my pack weight down to a level
    where I can carry it.I have a back issue and am almost to the point to give it a try thanks to down and cuben fiber.
    Mine arrived last week,not yet seen the light of day.It's ugly and beautiful at the same time.Knocked about a pound off my weight and takes up less room.My Luxury Light pack with sleep system,HH Expedition unmodified,plus food and a few clothes weighs in at 25 pounds.The water and other stuff is another 8 pounds in my front pack which helps offset some to the lower back pressure of the back pack.Planning on a small shake down hike soon.FWIW,my silnylon was the oversized HH fly which I really do like.....except for the weight and bulk.........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I have a Winter Palace and have been very happy with it. The only thing not to like is the price.
    +1 on this. Shaving off those ounces is expensive.

I sometimes wonder if I am the only one who has abandoned much of their "original purchase equipment".Items I have abandoned include a jantzen external backpack that I liked,an Optimus Svea 123r(I loved that Rocket Sound!),a cookset or two,an MSR pump type water filter,two silnylon tarp flys for my HH Expedition Asym.Bot it when I was 60 pounds heavier.I bot a cuben fiber tarp and a down top and bottom quilt but am sticking with the Expedition.I have learned to love alcohol stoves,btw.The cuben fiber is an amazingly light tarp but like most lightweight stuff,it's not cheap.Hoping to try the new stuff out soon in the midst of the polar vortex!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++