WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone in the Alabaster, AL area?

I'll be in the Alabaster, AL area for two weeks starting the 27th of Oct. and would like to do a day hike or maybe an overnight or two. Hit up my PM and I'll send you my number.

Scott

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Two weeks in Alabaster....WHY?
    PM sent

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I think he means he'll be in the Alabaster area and is looking for someone that can join him in a hike anywhere around the area...
    Or if you mean why someone would go to Alabaster... my 1st guess is he's got some business with something like additional development around the Colonial shopping center.

I can't help you with the who... but I can tell you the where:
    Oak Mountain State Park ($3/day entrance fee)
    Red Mountain Park (free)
    Veteran's Park (free)

Oak Mountain is going to have more longer trails (5 to 7 miles) with some interconnections allowing for loops of various sizes. Elevation changes range from just a little to over 600'.

Red Mountain Park has lots of short interconnected trails. The total mileage in the park is somewhere around 12 miles, but all the various interconnections would require 15+ miles to hike every trail. Elevation changes range from negligible to 300' max. The trail interconnections can be very confusing, so I would recommend you print out a copy of their trail map to keep yourself oriented correctly.

Veteran's Park is a multi-purpose park (play ground, baseball fields, paved walking/bicycling trails). The park is located off of 119 on the south side of Alabaster. I would guess that there are about 2 miles of walking trail. It's mostly open fields, so there's no reason to go their for the views of nature. However there are ALMOST no hills.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 10-14-2014 at 15:50.

Trying to make a funny. Sorry if it did not come off.

Swisscross, not offened and totally agree. Anyway, in the area now and would like to see either Salt Creek Falls or Upper Caney Creek Falls. Pictures of falls look awesome. Anyone game? I'm available anytime except this Fri-Sun. Family thing. But, all next week and possibly next week-end

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."

Yankee,
    I really wish I could sneak away from work and family commitments to join you.
    You definitely picked some pretty falls to chase.

Might want to look at this site.

http://www.meetup.com/BirminghamAdventureGroup/

I ran into a group of them a couple of weeks ago doing a day hike. Seemed like great people.

Thanks man. Sorry you can't make it. I will check them out.

++ New Posts ++