WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ULA Circuit or GoLite Jam 50

Just looking for some feedback on the above two packs. I'll be section hiking the AT next year and have narrowed my pack purchase down to either the Circuit or Jam. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to start by reading the thread in the general gear forum about Golite going bankrupt.

I have a Jam 50. Nice pack. I'm trying out Gossamer Gear now.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianOH72 View Post
    Just looking for some feedback on the above two packs. I'll be section hiking the AT next year and have narrowed my pack purchase down to either the Circuit or Jam. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Brian, if you decide to go with the Jam 50 I have one I am thinking about selling.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

If you want a brand new pack, you have to go ULA, because the GoLite Jam is gone. They are sold out and in the process of going Bankrupt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    If you want a brand new pack, you have to go ULA, because the GoLite Jam is gone. They are sold out and in the process of going Bankrupt.
    Well, the golite web site still has them in large and medium, but they might be going fast.

Still, I'm very partial to ULA packs, but I have to ask the OP: Why the Circuit instead of the lighter and just as roomy OHM 2.0? If you're willing to go with Golite Jam, I think the OHM 2.0 has just as much support and is a tad lighter, and the company is viable. The Circuit has more support (more of a frame) than the OHM and Jam, but is heavier.

I've tried a couple of golite packs in the past, just not comfortable on me, something about the shoulder straps.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianOH72 View Post
    I have nothing but good things to say about my ULA Circuit after more than 1100 miles of use. My guess is that it will still have plenty of life left in it after the PCT next year.

Circuit or the lighter option that Colorado Rob mentioned. I've used a Golite pack (Pinnacle) many times over the years. I've got a smaller Jam pack that I've used for dayhikes. For backpacking, I prefer the Circuit. Great customer service w/ ULA as well. Just my $0.02.

Images

In my personal experience, the Circuit is much more comfortable with any load over 20 pounds or so total weight. The Jam doesn't have any sort of frame to transfer the load to the hips; the Circuit does.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

If you like the Jam, the ULA CDT is roughly what Jam was back in 2008/09 in terms of weight and features. May be a good option?

As others mentioned, what are you trying to do? The Circuit and the Jam are two very different packs. One is frameless the other has a real frame. Depending on your overall BPW, and of course fit, one may work better than the other.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I love my circuit, best carrying pack I've ever used..

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Well, the golite web site still has them in large and medium, but they might be going fast.

Still, I'm very partial to ULA packs, but I have to ask the OP: Why the Circuit instead of the lighter and just as roomy OHM 2.0? If you're willing to go with Golite Jam, I think the OHM 2.0 has just as much support and is a tad lighter, and the company is viable. The Circuit has more support (more of a frame) than the OHM and Jam, but is heavier.

I've tried a couple of golite packs in the past, just not comfortable on me, something about the shoulder straps.
    My exact sentiments too. It's funny you said something about the shoulder straps too. I thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    If you like the Jam, the ULA CDT is roughly what Jam was back in 2008/09 in terms of weight and features. May be a good option?

As others mentioned, what are you trying to do? The Circuit and the Jam are two very different packs. One is frameless the other has a real frame. Depending on your overall BPW, and of course fit, one may work better than the other.
    Again, echoing my sentiments. These are two distinctly different packs in features, wt, suspension/lack of of suspension, needing a virtual suspension, volume, etc

FWIW, I had two Jam II 50 backpacks before I switched over to the ULA CDT. The ULA CDT held the same load slightly better, had hipblet pockets(w/ the Jam 2 hipbelt pockets were an add on), had slightly better(more comforatble for me) shoulder straps and generally did a better job of carrying the same kit with the same wt. The ULA CDT was the better backpack to me. BTW, the ULA CDT w/ the integrated hipbelt pockets tipped my home scales at 2 ozs less than the Jam 2 w/ added on (not stock) hipbelt pockets.

When I was shopping for a park this year, it came down to the Jam and the ULA Ohm. Somehow, the Ohm managed to weigh in very close to the Jam, and yet it has an actual frame. If you remove the 5 ounces of extras from the Ohm, it will actually weigh less than the Jam. Since you get a rigid frame, the load lifters work really well on the Ohm, a real benefit.

Needless to say, I love my Ohm and highly recommend it. Ran into a guy with a Circuit in Shenandoah this summer and had a chance to compare for a few minutes. The shape of the Ohm, skinny and tall, seemed more natural than the boxier shape of the Circuit - it really moves with you and feels natural.

I've never had good feelings toward Go Lite, although not based on the quality of their products. More of the posturing as a cottage vendor while producing in China, frequently out of items, high prices unless a half price sale is on (and everything is sold out). Just another reason I've steered clear, although I know they have their admirers.

Quote Originally Posted by overthinker View Post
    When I was shopping for a park this year, it came down to the Jam and the ULA Ohm. Somehow, the Ohm managed to weigh in very close to the Jam, and yet it has an actual frame. If you remove the 5 ounces of extras from the Ohm, it will actually weigh less than the Jam. Since you get a rigid frame, the load lifters work really well on the Ohm, a real benefit.

Ran into a guy with a Circuit in Shenandoah this summer and had a chance to compare for a few minutes. The shape of the Ohm, skinny and tall, seemed more natural than the boxier shape of the Circuit - it really moves with you and feels natural....
    My call as well.

I have owned and used both packs. When I was just doing a quick mile with the go lite jam it was ok. However, when I went for a real hike, I hated it. Even though it was rigid when I had it full (not too full...just full), I did not like the lack of any transfer of weight to my hips. As a result I ended up walking slightly forward to compensate, this threw me off. It caused slight tension in my shoulders and any slight becomes big over a long hike, as you know. I hated the JAM. I was on a trek in Tanzania and my guide would always grab my pack and carry it (he somehow managed to jam his stuff in there too). He wore it without the belt and had no problems....but his regular pack was an older book bag. At the end of the trip, I gave the jam to him since he clearly liked it while I hated it. Never been so glad to get rid of a new piece of gear.

The Circuit....I LOVE this pack. Truly love it. I have never had a single complaint about it. It has a small frame that helps direct the weight to my belt. The belt is wide and rides the hips well...therefore weight is carried on my hips and not my shoulders. It is light. I love the hand straps on the front. I thought they were a waste until I actually tried the. The first time. It has a lot of space. I like the front belt pouches. They are rather spacious and are easily accessible. The side pockets of the pack are great...easy access while walking and have bungy straps on them as well. The mesh pouch on back is tough and big...I can jam a lot of stuff in there that I can grab at a stop. In addition, the owner of ULA provides great customer service. I called with a few questions before I bought and he took the time and gave me some great feedback.

++ New Posts ++