WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Devil's Fork to Allen Gap-Be Careful

I just got back this afternoon from a trip up Bullen Hollow trail to Jones Meadow and over to Jerry's Cabin shelter. Just wanted to check on things there and check out the fall color. Upon arriving at the shelter on Saturday, a lost bear hound also showed up with 3 day hikers. I was just fixing my lunch and the bear hound wanted some too. He tried to get my just grilled spam and bagel sandwich on the picnic table and when I grabbed his collar he bit my wrist but with help from the day hikers they pulled him off and the bite was not serious. Barely broke the skin and no bleeding. This dog was not shy,as some are, and the day hiker got out a .380 pistol and fired 2 rounds into the ground near the dog trying to scare him off. This dog didn't even hear or react to the gunfire. The day hikers also said that they saw someone with a rifle in the field above the shelter and he was not too friendly. The dog followed the day hikers when they left but was back this morning moving southbound. About 4pm a hunter with a lever action rifle passed by the shelter and I told him about the dog and he said he would check via portable radio if anyone he knew was missing a dog. So early this morning when I got to the ridge top(and cell service) I called Greene Co. Sheriff's Dept. The officer I spoke with said that there is no hunting season open yet for guns only archery. The SO relayed my info to the TWRA and an officer did call me but I was out of the cell service area when he called. He left his name and said for me to contact him. I tried to call him back in a short while but got his voicemail. I'm going to call first thing tomorrow and find out what can be hunted both in TN and NC as the trail follows the state line in this section. Over the weekend I met about 30 section hikers and was concerned about the dog and the hunter(poacher?). I'll post again when I find out who can hunt what and when. So anyone planning to hike this section and other nearby areas should BOLO for loose dogs and possible illegal hunters.A can of bear or pepper spray might be useful for the dogs but if you encounter armed "hunters" be wary and move on. I'm not trying to alarm anyone but just be forewarned that hunting season for some is on and they may or may not be friendly and there may be more dogs loose and or lost in this area.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Images

I just spoke with a TWRA officer about the lost bear dog I encountered over the weekend. Hunting season is open in NC for hunters with guns and dogs. There is a short season for archery bear hunting in TN but they do not use dogs. As for hikers with companion dogs, they MUST BE ON A LEASH AT ALL TIMES while on any wildlife management area. This is to prevent dogs harassing wildlife and to protect them from wildlife. The officer told me a bear hunter lost 2 $1500 bear hounds who "had their brains slapped out" by the bear they were chasing. TWRA officers will be in the local area at times during the next few months checking on persons in violation of any regulations. Just an FYI folks, happy hiking to all.

Images

This is definitely concerning. Over the weekend I had read a story about a lady and her dogs that were attacked by a group of bear hounds in the Smokies. You can read about it here.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Looks like my pack weight went up few oz....Glock 27 40 cal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't believe hunting deer or bear is still legal....I'm heading out tonight on section from standing indian to fontana dam...is this area open to hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Can't believe hunting deer or bear is still legal....I'm heading out tonight on section from standing indian to fontana dam...is this area open to hunting?

W dogs...

It is Hunting season so expect these types of encounters, it was said that the hunters should keep their dogs on a leash and how many hikers really keep their dogs on a leash at all times not too many, THIS IS A NONE ISSUE. Most folks blows this type encounters way out of proportion. Theirs no need to carry a gun either.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    It is Hunting season so expect these types of encounters, it was said that the hunters should keep their dogs on a leash and how many hikers really keep their dogs on a leash at all times not too many, THIS IS A NONE ISSUE. Most folks blows this type encounters way out of proportion. Theirs no need to carry a gun either.
    Was kidding....agreed...dam pack is too heavy already...is it gun or archery season in the Nantahala area?

Images

I saw a hunter come out of the woods yesterday just north of BeautySpot. We chatted for a bit then he headed for his ride that showed up.

We were at Jerry's cabin October 10 and there were 3 bear dogs hanging around. They were docile and were around all night. We could here them chasing and barking during the night.

Was kidding....agreed...dam pack is too heavy already...is it gun or archery season in the Nantahala area?

I think it's BOW season, rifle season starts later in November.
    For the most part hunters are nice folks, but their dogs are breed to hunt it's what they do and they do get very Tempermental at times.

Thx..

Yes. I have run into several bear hunters in this area with dogs--all were very nice and respectful also.

Thx...I'm hitting the trail tonight w my 18lb jack Russell I'll keep an eye out....

Images

Hunting seasons vary from state to state. If you need info and may be concerned, check via the interweb as to what the local regulations are for the area you plan to hike. The TWRA officer also told me that those who have concealed carry permits in TN, it is illegal to brandish your weapon unless you are in eminent danger or fear bodily harm. Even just shooting at a few cans or other targets is prohibited unless on private property or at a shooting range.

This is the second report of a run-in with unleashed hunting dogs in the past week. This is not a "non-issue" to those that were attacked. It is far better to share this information so others can be on alert than to just sweep things under the rug. And yes, by all means, dogs on the trail should be leashed regardless of whether they belong to hikers or hunters.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Hunting Dogs are BREED to Hunt they are not breed to do anything else,. the hunters release them at a certain spot and the dogs get a cent and they run until they catch up to the animal and then they do what's called baying until the hunter gets to them and shoots said animal, the dogs do have tracking collars on them, some of these dogs are worth thousands of dollars so yes the owners do know where their dogs are, these dogs are not LOST, I know this cause I do own a couple of these hunting dogs and I do hunt, so no a hunting dog cannot be leashed and should not be leashed. sometimes I run my dogs for 2,3,4 days at a time, I say again these dogs are NOT LOST

Hiking dogs on the other hand should be leashed at all times, these dogs have done instrumental damage to peoples gear, shelters and attacked people, I say this from experience with these MEAN dogs, in my opinion these troublesome dogs are best when left home.

Hiking dogs on the other hand should be leashed at all times, these dogs have done instrumental damage to peoples gear, shelters and attacked people, I say this from experience with these MEAN dogs, in my opinion these troublesome dogs are best when left home.
    This thread isn't about hikers' dogs, but run-ins with hunting dogs.

There are a gazillion threads about hikers bringing dogs on the AT if you want to rant about leashing (and although I am more tempered in my views, we are on the same side of the issue, as far as that's concerned).
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

[QUOTE=QHShowoman;1916385]This thread isn't about hikers' dogs, but run-ins with hunting dogs.

There are a gazillion threads about hikers bringing dogs on the AT if you want to rant about leashing (and although I am more tempered in my views, we are on the same side of the issue, as far as that's concerned).[/QUOT
    Hiker dogs are way more troublesome than Hunting dogs ever will be, and if your going to quote me quote me correctly not just part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    This is the second report of a run-in with unleashed hunting dogs in the past week. This is not a "non-issue" to those that were attacked. It is far better to share this information so others can be on alert than to just sweep things under the rug. And yes, by all means, dogs on the trail should be leashed regardless of whether they belong to hikers or hunters.
    This is a NONE ISSUE and if anybody was actually attacked "which I don't believe" by a hunting dog well they probably asked for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++