WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

For some reason people think of their dogs like children. They think its ok for them to yell and scream and run around and when anybody complains they say "that's just what kids do." They think its up to everyone else to put up with their behavior because that's what kids do, and that's what dogs do. You sound like you just want to let your dog be a dog and everyone else can just put up with it because that's what dogs do. I hike with my dog all the time, but its my dog and my problem and its on a leash at all times.

Journal Entries

There was a section hiker last year at Raven rock during peak season, who was letting his dog run the shelter area. Every time a hiker came down the shelter trail the dog would run up on them barking. The dog wasn’t aggressive, just more or less excited to see more people. As night fell , some hikers came in after dark, and the dog ran up on them and got kicked/punted really bad. .. Take that into consideration .

I'm a dog owner and love dogs. However while hiking last year on the AT a dog owner allowed their dog to roam the shelter area unleased. The dog came over to my tent and hiked his leg and relieved himself. Not cool

How did you get the odor out?

I was lucky. He actually relieved himself on a pile of leaves that I had raked up onto the sides of the tent to create a wind break. Too close for comfort.

Why would you bring anything that would be guarantee that you won't see wildlife? Why would you assume it was ok to ruin it for others?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    Why would you bring anything that would be guarantee that you won't see wildlife? Why would you assume it was ok to ruin it for others?
    Here's a better one: Why would you come into the hiking with dogs forum to ask such a trollish question?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Here's a better one: Why would you come into the hiking with dogs forum to ask such a trollish question?
    +1.....I see plenty of wildlife with my lil mutt...only ones I miss are the mice...they r busy chewin on the dog nazi's gear....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you or your dog does not pee on my tent, poop in front of it. Knock over my stove/ food, etc you're welcome. But if your dog does any of the above I have the right to crap in front of your tent, eat your food, or anything else. Control your dog and it's not a problem. If you are out of control and can't control your dog you don't belong on the trail.

for the sake of your fellow hikers and to have any chance at all of seeing wildlife.. leave dog at home. Answer to opening question is no.. your dog won't be welcomed.. especially not by this hiker.

I'm deathly afraid of dogs and I would be offended if somebody was so insensitive as to cause me mental anguish by exposing me to a dog. Maybe the dog owners need to think a bit more about others instead of just themselves and their " dog children"'

Francis; I deffinately see and respect your point. I live in a mostly black neighborhood. Seems like a lot of black folks are deathly afraid of dogs. All the dogs I've ever had have been friendly and well behaved, Always on a leash. If a kid approaches I make the dog sit so the kid can pet it if desired. most do.
    You might want to get together with a friend who has a dog and do some desensitization. There are a lot of nice dogs out there, you are missing out.
    There are also some bad dogs and even worse dog owners, that both deserve to be put down for antisocial behavior.
    If your dog is around other people keep it on a leash.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    for the sake of your fellow hikers and to have any chance at all of seeing wildlife.. leave dog at home. Answer to opening question is no.. your dog won't be welcomed.. especially not by this hiker.
    I find it slightly funny to come to this dog forum and read opinions such as this. Mostly because the first thing I think to myself is ‘who died and left you in charge of what is allowed or not allowed on this trail’. But also because this is a place where dog owners can come and get advice on the best ways to hike with a dog and we have to put up with your fairly ignorant opinions. And especially funny that you obviously don’t like dogs or support hikers with dogs, but apparently have nothing better to do with your time than visit a dog-based forum on the hiking website and post your fairly ignorant opinions.
    I promise you that your opnions will not keep me from bringing my 2 dogs on the trail. And I will avoid all shelters so people like you won’t ruin MY trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs1girl View Post
    I find it slightly funny to come to this dog forum and read opinions such as this. and we have to put up with your fairly ignorant opinions.
    Well, the title of this thread is "will my dog be welcomed?", therefore it invites the opinions. The thing is, anyone who has spent time on the trail has had bad dog encounters. Granted most of the bad dogs are day hikers or weekenders, but thru hiker dogs can be a problem until they get used to the new environment. Then, after about a few weeks to a month, thru hiker dogs are so damn tired all they want to do is sleep every chance they can get.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

2 dogs 1 girl; Do I detect an attitude problem? Sounds like you love your dogs so much you believe we should also. I have walked my dogs in the park a lot. I must say that a lot of dogs and their owners have behavior problems. Sniffing my dogs' butt, my butt, chasing squirrels, generally being aggressive.
    If I peed on your tent, knocked your food over, carried off your shoes, etc. You'ld probably call the cops, justly so. So if you or your dog do any of that kind of stuff other people have a right to protect themselves. Will you and your dog be welcomed engaging in that kind of behavior? Obviously not. Control yourself and your dog and it won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    2 dogs 1 girl; Do I detect an attitude problem? Sounds like you love your dogs so much you believe we should also. I have walked my dogs in the park a lot. I must say that a lot of dogs and their owners have behavior problems. Sniffing my dogs' butt, my butt, chasing squirrels, generally being aggressive.
    If I peed on your tent, knocked your food over, carried off your shoes, etc. You'ld probably call the cops, justly so. So if you or your dog do any of that kind of stuff other people have a right to protect themselves. Will you and your dog be welcomed engaging in that kind of behavior? Obviously not. Control yourself and your dog and it won't be a problem.
    No attitude problem at all =) I plan to do just that. Control myself and my dogs and enjoy a wonderful hike =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Oh the OP wanted to ask the question to other dog walkers only! Gotcha!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    Oh the OP wanted to ask the question to other dog walkers only! Gotcha!
    Seems like a moot point given that you didn't answer her question. Besides, she hasn't logged onto the site in 4 months anyway, so I doubt it matters. ;-)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I love my dog just like my kids. But there's no way I would bring him on the trail. I'm prepping myself for months to get ready for this so how could I subject him to what I'm about to endure? But on the other hand, being a dog owner all my life, I wouldn't mind seeing other dogs on the trail as long as they're mindful and not in Captain Destructo mode. Guess I have mixed feelings on this one.

I hiked with a dog from Hot Springs to Ktaadn in 72. There weren't many people on the trail at that time It worked out ok. Since then I've been section hiking and have seen a lot of problems with dogs on the tail. Actually it's a problem with dog owners. A hiker can never be sure of the situation when they encounter a dog. For safety sake most hikers regard all dogs as a threat.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++