WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Will my dog and I be welcomed?

So, I'm a young woman who adores both backpacking and dogs. I recently adopted a pup who will hopefully one day hike the AT with me. However, when I read some of the notes written on this message board, I start feeling anxious that dogs really aren't welcome on the appalachian trail. I am well researched on the difficulties of caring for a dog on long distance hikes, and that the AT doesn't allow them all the way through, and the difficulties of staying at shelters, and the diminished percentage I have of finishing the trail, etc…but I am concerned about whether my dog and I will be scapegoated by the thru hiker community. I have read posts by other dog owners who outline useful commands to teach them, but I find some of these posts overwhelming---I am training my pup to be a therapy certified dog, so both he and i are working very hard, but in the end no matter how much training I do he is still going to be just what he is, a dog: he's going to want to bark, roll in dead things, chase after squirrels, say hi to strangers, and hate to have to "heel" next to me for extensive periods on the trail. And really I don't want to train that all out of him, I want him to enjoy rolling in the grass and become excited by the smells of the earth, and I want hiking to be fun for him just as much as it is "work." I guess I am posting this because I want to know whether my concerns are justified, and whether, ultimately, the AT is a rewarding hike to accomplish and community to be a part of when you own a dog.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

LBR let me start out by saying that I do enjoy dogs; however I am wary of dogs I don't know, having been the victim of an unprovoked attack by a dog that I was told is "very friendly". They did not take into account that the dog might not response well to a stranger in the moments before she delivered puppies. As a consequence I have two quarter-size scars in my right calf. I would not want to deny someone the pleasure of hiking with their four-legged companion as long as they are 100% under your control, preferable leashed for those moments when dogs can't help being dogs.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Images

Everyone is different.
    I have dogs, I love dogs, they don't bother me at all. I've brought my pup a few times, but she gets anxiety with all the noises in the woods.

I think if your respectful to others at a shelter you'll be all set. Tent if the shelter is full. If there is only a few people ask if they mind. I met a women doing a 600 mile solo section hike w/ 2 massive dogs. She said they make her feel safe. I doubt anyone bothered her lol.

Journal Entries
    Images

All the dog lovers will say "Yes", bring the dog. Most folks who have done a thru-hike will tell you to leave the dog home.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries

Keep in mind that WhiteBlaze isn't the trail. Discussions here don't reflect reality in the woods. Really, the issues are courtesy and responsibility. Be responsible for your dog and his behavior. Be courteous towards others. Go hike.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Keep in mind that WhiteBlaze isn't the trail. Discussions here don't reflect reality in the woods. Really, the issues are courtesy and responsibility. Be responsible for your dog and his behavior. Be courteous towards others. Go hike.
    +1 on this. The key words are in your own post. You "READ some of the notes WRITTEN on this message board".
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

I'd say we are MUCH more restrained in our face-to-face communications on the Trail instead of anonymously here on WhiteBlaze.

An observation from me is that you want your dog to be a dog. It sounds (to me) like you are more worried about your dog's "feelings" than some human's feelings or safety.

This is important to me, as I had two unprovoked aggressive attacks while hiking my 500 miles. BOTH times I was able to stop the dog(s) from reaching me with my hiking sticks. BOTH times, no leash. EACH time, I had my knife out and ready to use. EACH time, I had no apology from the dog owner and one time I was yelled at for instigating the attack. Bear in mind, one dog attacked from behind. No growl, no bark, just a sound of running feet in time to turn around to defend myself. The other time, I stepped several steps off the Trail to let the unleashed dogs by and they attacked.

While the above is MY experience, it explains why I'm very, very leery of any dog on the Trail. I've never seen them at a shelter. No experience there, but I'd move on and tent at least 1/4 + mile away.

I like dogs - have 3 of them. Fairly well trained, but I wouldn't take them hiking without a leash AT ALL TIMES.

Good luck - happy hiking.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

When it comes to training your dog, you might want to read (if you haven't already) this post by user 'dogtra':

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ility-Training
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

In my hiking experience keeping them leashed is what I appreciate most. When I'm backpacking in areas with a lot of dogs they are usually off leash and usually running up and down the trail, running circles around my feet, jumping up, etc. It's really annoying especially on a rough trail when I'm now trying not to trip on the dog at my ankles in addition to the normal trail hazards.

I have had MANY bad encounters with dogs and their owners, I DO NOT WELCOME DOGS ON THE AT or any trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I have had MANY bad encounters with dogs and their owners, I DO NOT WELCOME DOGS ON THE AT or any trail.

And from another thread by you, Red-Dog:

It is Hunting season so expect these types of encounters, it was said that the hunters should keep their dogs on a leash and how many hikers really keep their dogs on a leash at all times not too many, THIS IS A NONE ISSUE. Most folks blows this type encounters way out of proportion. Theirs no need to carry a gun either.

So, which is it? A non-issue? Or you don't welcome dogs?

I'd think that dog bites, aggressive dogs trying for my food, my own dogs being mauled, dogs running free with no supervision a definite issue.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I am a dog lover and enjoy well trained dogs. So since you asked here are a couple of issues I had with dogs while on my thru hike.

1. Dogs that bark at everything all night long. This happen several times, look. We have been hiking for 8 - 10 hours and really want our sleep, but if your dog barking at every sound and movement all night long you will not be well liked at the shelter in the morning.
    2. Dog does not count as a "hiker" in the shelter. Raining, sleeting, snowing we are looking to get to shelter. If the shelter is full the dog cannot take up space. Sorry
    3. Not everyone likes your dog. As posted above most hikers I knew on the trail likes your dog, but some don't. Be ready to handle that for the entire hike.

Journal Entries

If you bring your dog on the trail you can be part of the problem or the solution, it sounds very much like you prefer to be the latter, as it seems like you are unwilling to train the dog for its environment. It is about responsibility and respect. Without that you further the case against dogs on the trail. The trail is not the environment for dogs to do what you wish them to do, it is a human setting used for travel and requires dogs to be trained to act appropriately for that environment.

Raise up a good trail dog is the way to help reverse those feelings. When I see a good trail dog, which is unfortunately rare, it does give me hope about dogs on the trail.

Journal Entries

And understand, LBR, that many of those who are motivated to post are those who have had memorable experiences. Again, that is not reflective of the trail experience.
    This thread will likely deteriorate, as they often do. Most of those who don't care if your dog is on the trail probably don't care about posting in the thread either.

Journal Entries

I would also like to point out there are several conflicts of traveling with your dog in the manner expressed in the OP with Leave No Trace ethics.

Journal Entries

Straight from the LNT website about LNT for you dog:

https://lnt.org/blog/8-tips-leave-no-trace-your-dog

Images

I have dogs, love dogs but have also had some less than pleasant encounters with dogs mostly due to idiots that don't realize that Fluffy, the perfectly friendly dog, will act differently when in a place that is not their home. keep the dog under your control and I believe you will be as welcomed on trail as you would walking down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post

And from another thread by you, Red-Dog:

It is Hunting season so expect these types of encounters, it was said that the hunters should keep their dogs on a leash and how many hikers really keep their dogs on a leash at all times not too many, THIS IS A NONE ISSUE. Most folks blows this type encounters way out of proportion. Theirs no need to carry a gun either.

So, which is it? A non-issue? Or you don't welcome dogs?

I'd think that dog bites, aggressive dogs trying for my food, my own dogs being mauled, dogs running free with no supervision a definite issue.
    I think your talking about hiking dogs I can't begin to tell you how many times a hiking dog have gone after my food or tried to attack me and I see hiking dogs running free without supervision all the time but on the other hand Hunting dogs never have destroyed my gear never attacked me and they also move on after a few minutes their a none issue and if your dogs have been attacked by hunting dogs well they probably asked for it, Hiking dogs on the other hand, I have literally lost Hundreds of dollars maybe even thousands of dollars of gear only because the disrespectful owners want keep the unruly dogs under control so yes people that hike with dogs is a major issue wit me.
    HIKING DOGS IS A MAJOR ISSUE, HUNTING DOGS NONE ISSUE

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs are welcomed if on a lease & kept out of the shelters. Happy Hiking
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by ScottTrip View Post
    I am a dog lover and enjoy well trained dogs. So since you asked here are a couple of issues I had with dogs while on my thru hike.

1. Dogs that bark at everything all night long. This happen several times, look. We have been hiking for 8 - 10 hours and really want our sleep, but if your dog barking at every sound and movement all night long you will not be well liked at the shelter in the morning.
    2. Dog does not count as a "hiker" in the shelter. Raining, sleeting, snowing we are looking to get to shelter. If the shelter is full the dog cannot take up space. Sorry
    3. Not everyone likes your dog. As posted above most hikers I knew on the trail likes your dog, but some don't. Be ready to handle that for the entire hike.
    Good post, I fit into this catagory as well. Another problem that I have encountered while hiking is dogowners who make me walk several feet off the trail just to get past their dog--who is on a leash, but not a very short one. I don't mind going a step or two, we all do that on a narrow portions of the trail, but I am saying 6-8 feet just to avoid a dog or dogs.
    Maybe I'm wrong, it just peeves me a little.
    rant over

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++