WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dogs and roads on the AT?

This will be my first time hiking the AT. My wife and I are planing on bringing our dog along. She is a little bit crazy on the initial letting go on trails(other trails we do around home) but pretty quickly stays close by us. Obviously you cross roads on the trail and the two day hike we are going to do it looks like we will cross about 10 roads. How do you know the road is coming or do you just not know? I guess I worry about a rabbit or something that she will take an initial run at but she quickly stops. I would not call it chasing even but its just the initial reaction she has. The roads are just something that worries me. Any help would be appreciated. We are going from Pen Mar to Caledonia on the Maryland Pa line.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

You should leash your dog at all times on the trail. That's the simple answer--it's unfair to the many, many people who are afraid of dogs to let your dog run wild. And it's unfair to the dog too. Maybe you didn't see it, but there are multiple threads here in the last couple of days involving lost dogs. Be smart--keep your dog on a leash.

I live in a town with a huge number of dogs and no leash laws. I see "dog missing" signs around the walking paths on a regular basis. A couple of weeks ago, we saw a beautiful husky running back and forth on the trail, obviously looking for its owner. Don't be one of those people.

Journal Entries

Agree with burger - you should leash your dog. Most road crossings on the AT are in rural areas with little traffic, and you'll often be able to see the road before you get there. But there are also busy roads and roads that you won't see ahead of time. Your first responsibility is to keep your dog safe. Safe from cars, safe from getting lost. A close second responsibility is to keep your dog out of mischief - difficult to do if she's loose.

Images

Keep your dog leashed and you won't have to worry about any of those problems.

From the ATC website http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...king-with-dogs :

Leashes ARE REQUIRED on more than 40 percent of the Trail, including:
    •Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Maryland (entire state)
    •Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, West Virginia
    •Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
    •Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia
    500+ miles of A.T. land administered by the National Park Service

EDIT: Washington County , MD requires dogs to be leashed at all times http://articles.herald-mail.com/2012...e-animal-noise

PA State Parks (like Caledonia) require dogs be kept on leashes (6' or less). PA State Forests allow dogs provided they are "kept under control and attended at all times." http://www.paparksandforests.org/dow...ctober2013.pdf

So, regardless of anyone's opinion of whether or not it's okay to let Fido run free, it's simply against the law. There's nothing really to debate.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 05-18-2015 at 09:55.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Agree with burger - you should leash your dog. Most road crossings on the AT are in rural areas with little traffic, and you'll often be able to see the road before you get there. But there are also busy roads and roads that you won't see ahead of time. Your first responsibility is to keep your dog safe. Safe from cars, safe from getting lost. A close second responsibility is to keep your dog out of mischief - difficult to do if she's loose.
    I dont disagree about the safety of it but how realistic is people hiking with their dogs on leashes? Is it a normal thing? Definitely sounds like the safest option though

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tuckervols View Post
    I dont disagree about the safety of it but how realistic is people hiking with their dogs on leashes? Is it a normal thing? Definitely sounds like the safest option though
    We don't bring our dog on the trail with us - he would be waaaaay too much trouble! - so I can't speak from personal experience, but from observation. A majority of dogs we've encountered on the trail (and we've done almost half of it) have been leashed. There have been a few that were loose, but not very many.

You seem to be a little new to the AT. I would suggest that you do this first section without the dog so that you can learn more about what the environment will be like. Talk to any dog owner you meet, and ask them about their experiences. Then when you bring your dog along, you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

To put it bluntly, I have had a dog killed while hiking the A.T. In almost exactly the scenario you describe. I didn't realize that we were hiking parallel to a road, we flushed a deer which my otherwise well trained dog chased into the road where he was hit by a pickup truck.
    Hiking with a leash will prevent 90% of the problems you hear about caused by dogs on the trail. My new hiking dog is on leash almost all the time on the A.T. and it's really quite manageable. The only times she is unclipped is when we are on steep terrain where it wouldn't be safe to be tethered together. In these cases I put her in a sit command, then I walk past the steep part and then give her recall command, she the runs back to me and is put back in leash. It works very well and keeps both of us safe.

I don't bring this up to sound preachy, it's just a situation that I went through that I don't wish on anyone.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 05-18-2015 at 09:50.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Its as realistic as the people who take this seriously. Some do not, many do and care about the safety of their animal and the people around or near them on the trail. The first and last concern of any dog owner should be of the people they are sharing the trail with, many are good with dogs until the animal walks through their food or knocks over water and the attitude sours. Some people are genuinely terrified of dogs and will not react well to them wandering around camping areas. Others, will simply ignore them until something stupid happens, like the dog pees on a tent or nabs food, etc.

By and large, if people keep their animals leashed, especially around other people and MOST especially around other dogs. there are typically very few issues. It's those who won't that create the problems which other responsible owners are labeled with. If there are negative comments about dogs its likely from those who have had negative experiences with off-leash dogs, easily changed with the restraint.

It may not be "normal", but that doesn't make it correct. There are a few hikers whose dogs are very well trained and socialized and can hike responsibly off leash where allowed. But from the description of the original post:

"She is a little bit crazy on the initial letting go on trails(other trails we do around home) but pretty quickly stays close by us.",

I question that this would apply in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Its as realistic as the people who take this seriously. Some do not, many do and care about the safety of their animal and the people around or near them on the trail. The first and last concern of any dog owner should be of the people they are sharing the trail with, many are good with dogs until the animal walks through their food or knocks over water and the attitude sours. Some people are genuinely terrified of dogs and will not react well to them wandering around camping areas. Others, will simply ignore them until something stupid happens, like the dog pees on a tent or nabs food, etc.

By and large, if people keep their animals leashed, especially around other people and MOST especially around other dogs. there are typically very few issues. It's those who won't that create the problems which other responsible owners are labeled with. If there are negative comments about dogs its likely from those who have had negative experiences with off-leash dogs, easily changed with the restraint.

Sure I think keeping a dog leashed on trails around other people and their dogs is the proper etiquette. Going up on campsites with an unleashed is not the thing to do. I just wonder if when your on a wide open trail having your dog on a leash with no one around is something people typically do. This is the dog forum so I assume I am getting advice from folks on the trail with their dogs so I assume everyone in this thread takes their hikes with dogs on the leash all the time? If so great then it sounds like the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    To put it bluntly, I have had a dog killed while hiking the A.T. In almost exactly the scenario you describe. I didn't realize that we were hiking parallel to a road, we flushed a deer which my otherwise well trained dog chased into the road where he was hit by a pickup truck.
    Hiking with a leash will prevent 90% of the problems you hear about caused by dogs on the trail. My new hiking dog is on leash almost all the time on the A.T. and it's really quite manageable. The only times she is unclipped is when we are on steep terrain where it wouldn't be safe to be tethered together. In these cases I put her in a sit command, then I walk past the steep part and then give her recall command, she the runs back to me and is put back in leash. It works very well and keeps both of us safe.

I don't bring this up to sound preachy, it's just a situation that I went through that I don't wish on anyone.

Sounds like the way to go then. I am sure its manageable. We will be slow anyway.

If you're not willing to leash your dog on a hike then you probably shouldn't take the dog. If the responsibility is too much then it's not a good fit at the moment. Sometimes we have to accept that what we visualize and may think that we want does not match up to what we actually get. Running loose on a trail is not a good place for a dog. Different dogs behave differently as they are indeed individuals, but they are individuals that you take responsibility for when you take them into that environment.

I've seen people who thruhiked with dogs and managed to keep the dog leashed appropriately the whole way. It's all about training and expectations, for both the dog and the animal at the other end of the leash.

Default Dogs and roads on the AT?

Sure I think keeping a dog leashed on trails around other people and their dogs is the proper etiquette. Going up on campsites with an unleashed is not the thing to do. I just wonder if when your on a wide open trail having your dog on a leash with no one around is something people typically do. This is the dog forum so I assume I am getting advice from folks on the trail with their dogs so I assume everyone in this thread takes their hikes with dogs on the leash all the time? If so great then it sounds like the way to go.
    Define wide open trail son no one around - how does one know when no one is ahead of them?

I hike with my dog on a leash. Always.

My dog is well trained, a service dog - it is the only time I will ever have him on a 'roamer leash' (http://www.ruffwear.com/roamer-leash...hing-dog-leash).

The bungee is bad for corrections, but perfect for when we get pulled apart (sniffing, peeing) and I don't notice. No wicked backlash for either of us.

It does however have a stiff piece about 12" long near the collar that is good for corrections.
    Last edited by bemental; 05-18-2015 at 10:55.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    You should leash your dog at all times on the trail. That's the simple answer--it's unfair to the many, many people who are afraid of dogs to let your dog run wild. And it's unfair to the dog too. Maybe you didn't see it, but there are multiple threads here in the last couple of days involving lost dogs. Be smart--keep your dog on a leash.
    Keeping your backpacking dog leashed the whole time is unneeded and even dangerous as the dog will hike one way around a tree on the trail and you'll be going the other way. To keep hold of a leash for 2,000+ miles is lunacy. It's not a black/white situation as there are times when a leash is mandatory, like when hiking asphalt roads and in camp, and other times when actually on the trail hiking that a leash is unneeded. I always leashed my dog when in camp to keep him from barking and going up to hikers entering camp.

It is not realistic. Here's a solution that worked for me---get your dog a decent dogpack---my chow mix Shunka could carry 17 days of his own food at one time---and make your dog wear it. Having a pack on Shunka really kept him from chasing things and bothering people. Plus, a dog on the trail is a different beast than a dog in camp.

One excellent thing about having dogs on the AT is that they upset the shelter entitlement junkies who demand space in the shelters and who believe these shelters actually have rules. When I'm camping by the rat box shelters I actually want to see muddy hikers with muddy dogs come in at 2am and wake everybody up demanding a spot on the floor with dogs getting everyone filthy. Once a shelter resident complains they are advertising their unwillingness to rely on their own shelter system. Dogs help box-dependent hikers to become box-independent. Dogs therefore should be considered Service Animals.

We use a long (15 or 25') leash when hiking with our dog. He learned very quickly to stay on the trail and if he goes off trail, to come back the same way he went in to the woods. We very rarely get wrapped around a tree. He has a very strong prey drive and will chase anything that moves. Most dogs will go after deer. There are also porcupines, skunks and bears to attract them, plus other dogs and numerous rodents. If your dog is off leash, unless it is 100% obedient, which few are, you risk losing it when temptation crosses its path.

I frequently hiked with "Bessie." She was an outstanding trail dog and was fine being on a leash.

I will not take "Buddy" hiking. He pulls when he is on a leash, and it is not what he is comfortable with. The only appropriate place to take him off-leash is the dog park or private property - with the owner's permission.

"Lexii" is a hiking dog in training. While she would most likely be fine off-leash, I am not willing to risk the possibility of her running (because if she took off and got lost when she was off-leash, I would feel too guilty since I would be totally at fault). I am hoping she will acclimate to the leash. If not, she will get to wait for me to return home.

Basically, anyone who takes a dog off-leash runs a risk of losing it.... and it is obvious who is at fault.
    FYI: one of the recent dog losses was a dog ON A LEASH that bolted...and is gone - lost. That was not the fault of the owners

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation Let me add (again) one more thing

First, this news article:
    http://www.winchesterstar.com/article/bear

Then, my analysis of what happened:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1902851

Nothing over the last few months has occurred to caused me to question the statements I made.

++ New Posts ++