WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Primus Omnilite Ti

Anyone here use the OmniLite Ti?
    I've been resisting the temptation for a couple years but lately have been feeling weak and am drawn to try it.

Don't tell me about your stove unless you have and use the OmniLite Ti.

I'm not really interested in using in canister mode. I have other stoves for that.
    Not interested in white gas. I have those also.
    Primarily interested in experience with regular unleaded, and diesel. Something I can siphon from a vehicle in an emergency.

Iwas curious about this stove, so I looked it up, and apparently they are currently sold out of it on the website, though they do have the heavier version for $20 less.

Images

As of right now Moontrail has 39 of them in stock.

http://www.moontrail.com/primus-omnilite-ti.php

Edit to add: Make that 38.
    After two years of looking at this stove and exercising credit card restraint I finally broke down and placed the order.
    This stove made me weak and sapped all my will power.
    Last edited by Cadenza; 10-22-2014 at 13:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    As of right now Moontrail has 39 of them in stock.

http://www.moontrail.com/primus-omnilite-ti.php

Edit to add: Make that 38.
    After two years of looking at this stove and exercising credit card restraint I finally broke down and placed the order.
    This stove made me weak and sapped all my will power.
    Well in that case, once you get it, you can share with us just how well it works.

Images

The stove arrived yesterday and today I got around to initial testing.
    I boiled a full liter of water using both canister and white gas (Coleman fuel). It worked fine with both.

My weather app on the phone says it's 46 degrees outside. I didn't accurately check the time to boil but it was roughly 3 minutes to bubbles in the bottom of pot and 5-6 minutes to rolling boil with steam coming from the pot with both fuel types.
    It was easy to change the jets with the supplied multi-tool.

I think the white gas was slightly faster and certainly it was able to simmer better. I turned it down to a candlelike yellow flame which held steady for as long as I cared to let it burn.

In white gas mode there is not much difference with other white gas stoves that I have. It reminds me of my old reliable Coleman APEX with fuel bottle and hose and works pretty much the same. The OmniLite Ti is of course much LIGHTER. It also sits more stable on uneven ground because of three-point tripod legs. Both the Coleman APEX and my old Svea 123 have round bases which tend to rock if not on perfectly flat ground.

As a canister stove it is my opinion that the Snow Peak Gigapower auto can't be beat. It folds up into such a small package and comes with a nifty plastic box that takes up very little pack volume. Both my main camping buddy and myself have had them for years. Always reliable.
    If I intended to use the Primus OmniLite Ti as a canister stove I would have a considerable complaint in that the supplied storage bag is too big! I will certainly be on the lookout for a smaller box, perhaps an Otterbox 3500 or similar Pelican model to both protect the stove and to be a smaller overall package. I have read other reviews where people seemed to like the Primus bag but it's not my thing. I feel certain that such a small and lightweight stove can be packed much smaller than in the overbuilt pouch.

I will report back when I get a chance to try regular unleaded gasoline and diesel fuel. I fully expect the regular unleaded to burn less clean than white gas and of course I expect the diesel to be dirty and sooty. The supplied owners manual indicates this as well and in fact suggests that they should only be used in emergency, which is exactly the reason I wanted this stove!

++ New Posts ++