WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

I won't repeat most of the previous responses, but here's my take:

--The hike from the dam up to Vandeventer is a nice, steep climb. Vandeventer Shelter is right on the trail, don't take the blue blaze trail just before it--that goes down to the left and to the water source--it is extremely steep, and around 1/3 mile. You cant see the shelter from that blue blaze, and I originally thought the blue blaze led to the shelter. Most people who went down there recommended against it. So don't plan on using that water source unless desperate. Vandeventer has a rock outcrop behind it with outstanding views. Great place to grab a seat and a snack.

--Just take a spare set of batteries for your headlamp, should have no issues getting to Damascus.

--I recommend Black Bear Resort--about .5 miles road walk to the right, when you hit the pavement at Dennis Cove Rd.

--not exactly sure when, but about 30 miles before Damascus the trail gets much more reasonable/easier. I did a 16 mile day when I normally could do about 12mi/day. I did more miles/day through that stretch than anywhere else on the AT (Springer to Marion, VA).

--Ditto on the Sawyer Squeeze

--go down to Laurel Falls--beautiful spot, and the trail goes right beside the river against a rock wall. Neat area.

Wear bright colors or some blaze orange!

I saw enough evidence of hunters (stands & shells) on that stretch of trail to promised myself I would add some blaze orange if ever passing through in the fall. Particularly between the lake and Damascus.

Enjoy your hike!

Thank you all for your helpful comments. They are all truly appreciated.

The more I know about a section the better. I'm not a fast hiker but I'm persistant. I think with a heavier pack and the lack of daylight the miles will go down.

That being said I'm really looking forward to this and going through in my mind what I nee to bring. I'm still debating between my alky stove and a cannister. I like the quickness of the cannister but don't like the weight penalty of 8oz and 4.7 oz of my MSR superfly.

I'm looking for something that is orange.... must look harder.

Thank you all again,

Floyd

misterfloyd, orange isn't my first color choice either, but it's better than being shot by a hunter. Try some of the "sporting" sites:
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist?k=orange
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/se...ze+orange&sr=1
    http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...orange&x=0&y=0

Images

Quote Originally Posted by msumax1985 View Post
    --The hike from the dam up to Vandeventer is a nice, steep climb. Vandeventer Shelter is right on the trail, don't take the blue blaze trail just before it--that goes down to the left and to the water source--it is extremely steep, and around 1/3 mile. You cant see the shelter from that blue blaze, and I originally thought the blue blaze led to the shelter. Most people who went down there recommended against it. So don't plan on using that water source unless desperate. Vandeventer has a rock outcrop behind it with outstanding views. Great place to grab a seat and a snack.
    +1 to this: There is a seasonal spring right next to the trail about 1 mi. south of Vandeventer if you need water. Also, plan to skip the water source for the last shelter before Damascus (Abington Gap). It is a LONG way down a steep hill, and when I went to it last month, the water was barely flowing and kind of cloudy.

--I recommend Black Bear Resort--about .5 miles road walk to the right, when you hit the pavement at Dennis Cove Rd.
    + Black Bear is nice, but I think they're closed after Nov. 1st.

--go down to Laurel Falls--beautiful spot, and the trail goes right beside the river against a rock wall. Neat area.
    Ditto. Laurel Falls was my favorite part of that section.

Little rock,

Thanks for the heads up. Any information is good information. I'm leaving Sunday got to shave some weight in my pack which is mostly food. I'm looking forward to it, andI'm looking forward to the weather hopefully getting better than it has the past few days.

Going to make a copy of the trail guide tomorrow.... I will put this in.

Thank you again!!

Floyd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    +1 to this: There is a seasonal spring right next to the trail about 1 mi. south of Vandeventer if you need water. Also, plan to skip the water source for the last shelter before Damascus (Abington Gap). It is a LONG way down a steep hill, and when I went to it last month, the water was barely flowing and kind of cloudy.

+ Black Bear is nice, but I think they're closed after Nov. 1st.

Ditto. Laurel Falls was my favorite part of that section.
    I finished the US19E to Damascus section last Wednesday.

The seasonal spring mentioned above was almost dry. There were a few small puddles, but no moving water. I could not have gotten even a liter there.

The water source at Vandeventer was about 1/2 mile down a steep hill from the shelter, but there was plenty of it. I bit the bullet and trudged down there. Coming back up was even harder!

There was good water at the Abingdon Gap shelter water source (must agree it's a pain to get to, though).

Hope you have a great hike!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Thanks for the heads up UH Fox!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++