WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

FWIW I just read bigcranky's link and that was in 02'. None since? Seems like the odds are really low so just wear a little orange and it may make you feel better. I'd worry more about getting the Ebola virus or NORO than being shot while hiking. Some are just paranoid and like to share their fears. Same thing with Ebola, only a few cases here and lots of folks worried about it.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm pretty sure their not suppose to hunt a until half hour after dawn or before dusk so that there is enough light to see what their shooting at. An orange hat and maybe a vest over the pack is all that's needed.

So far as I know, no hiker on the AT has ever been shot by a hunter. One reason is that for the most part, the AT is too high up on the ridge line to find any game. Another is hunters don't want to wander too far from their truck or need to be able to get to the kill by ATV. You think their going to drag a 400 pound buck very far through the woods? I don't think so. Finally, most hunters know better then to hunt along popular hiking trails.
    If you could find 400 pound deer on the AT, the hunters would outnumber the hikers 10 to 1.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    W
    I did have my orange vest, tuque, and pack cover when I was hiking. But no blinking light or any such.
    Yep. That's all you need. A lot less $$$ than blinking lights, too.

I stumbled upon this item a couple of weeks back. If you don't want separate head gear, and you wear a wide brimmed hat as I do, this item fits over the hat and your standard beanie. I bought two for $10 with S&H. (otherwise it would have been ~$7 for one with S&H)

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2598/cat114789
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

October 26, 2011
    Hunter Shoots Hiker, Mistakes Him For Bear
    by Chad Love

In light of yesterday's post about accidents involving guns, here's another tragic example of why you should always, always positively identify what you're shooting at before you squeeze the trigger.
    From this story in the Salem, Oregon Statesman-Journal:

A 67-year-old Turner man who shot and killed a hiker Friday while hunting for bear was on family-owned property, Marion County Sheriff's Office officials said Tuesday. Gene Collier and his 12-year-old grandson were hunting in the 6300 block of Silver Ridge Road SE, a rural area about one mile west of Silver Falls State Park at about 6:30 p.m. Oct. 21.

"The property he was shooting on belongs to Gene and other family members," said sheriff's office spokes-man Don Thomson. Collier told detectives that he thought he saw a bear moving in the brush and fired one shot from his .270-caliber hunting rifle. The shot struck Christopher A. Ochoa, 20, of French Camp, Calif., who was hiking with a friend through the field on their way to Silver Falls State Park. Ochoa, an active Marine Corps reservist, died at the scene.

"Matter of time" until a hiker got shot

With the way hikers and hunters share the same backwoods and the same trails, it was only a matter of time before an accident like the one last weekend that killed 54-year-old Pamela Almli, mistaken for a bear by a 14-year-old boy, a Snohomish County sheriff's deputy said.
    By Christine Clarridge
    Seattle Times staff reporter

PREV 1 of 2 NEXT

Hiker Pamela Almli was killed last weekend.

Staying safe
    The Washington Trails Association offers these tips for staying safe while on hiking trails during hunting season:

Be seen:
    Make yourself visible. Choose colors that stand out, like bright blue or green; avoid blacks, browns, earth tones and animal-colored clothing.

Be heard:
    Whistle, sing or carry on a conversation as you walk to alert hunters of your presence.

Be informed:
    Know when hunting is allowed, and where. Grouse and bear-hunting season is typically September through December, sometimes earlier. Hunting is not allowed in national parks.

With the way hikers and hunters share the same backwoods and the same trails, it was only a matter of time before an accident like the one last weekend that killed a 54-year-old woman mistaken for a bear by a 14-year-old boy, Snohomish County sheriff's Deputy Greg Rasar said Tuesday.
    Rasar has been the county's forest-protection officer for nearly 18 years and a law-enforcement officer for almost 30.
    In that time, he's seen a lot of dangerous behavior and a lot of close calls. He's written tickets, issued citations and given scores of lectures.
    "We have tried all different kinds of ideas to educate people," he said, "but none of them were idiot-proof or bulletproof ... it was just a matter of time until somebody was accidentally shot."
    The state lacks "simple and plain" guidelines and regulations that apply to national forests and could make the trails and woods safer for all, he said.
    Rasar said many state prohibitions on firearms don't apply to hunters and that stricter regulations and setbacks from campgrounds, trailheads and other populated areas could be useful.
    "It would help if there were a tool that law enforcement could use on irresponsible shooters so that when we get complaints we could actually do something instead of saying, 'Sorry, what they're doing is perfectly legal,' " Rasar said.
    He said that while the state does have a statute that makes it illegal to recklessly discharge a firearm alongside or across a public highway, it's hard to enforce.
    "It's very, very hard for us to prove negligence or recklessness unless somebody sees someone shooting in the road."
    Many hikers, he said, are unaware that hunting is legal on most of the state's public lands and do not pay attention to hunting-season dates.
    Pamela Almli, an experienced hiker from Oso, Snohomish County, who was aware of hunting seasons, was killed Saturday on a marked hiking trail on Sauk Mountain, Skagit County. She was shot from about 120 yards by a 14-year-old who told police he thought she was a bear.
    The boy and his 16-year-old brother had been dropped off at the mountain by their grandfather.
    Prosecutors will review the case, but no charges have been filed. Investigators with the Skagit County Sheriff's Department have not released their incident report. They said it is legal in this state for a 14-year-old who has been licensed and has taken a hunter-education class to hunt without adult supervision.
    On Tuesday, members of the online group Hunting Washington were upset over the accident, which they said gave true sportspeople and legitimate hunters a bad name.
    "Those kids should have been supervised," said member Scott Green. "Even a sharp and safe kid should be supervised."
    Green said the shooter broke a cardinal rule of hunting: He failed to positively identify his target with binoculars before firing.
    "We do not condone or accept the actions taken by this person and feel that we, as a community, must take a stand against such blatant disregard for safety of those we share the woods with," wrote Green in an e-mail statement Tuesday.
    The group would likely oppose additional hunting regulations, but has started a memorial fund to promote educational awareness and outreach programs in Almli's honor, Green said.
    "There are already regulations on the books and there are so many hiking trails that there is no way you could do a setback from them," Green said.
    Rasar said Forest Service personnel don't like to make judgments about what kind of recreational uses is acceptable. The land is there for people to enjoy and use and protect, he said. He said he's not sure there is a perfect solution.
    "The fact is that a lot of people hike and a lot of people are out there shooting, too. Sooner or later, they cross paths and a tragedy can happen," he said. "This is one that's going to haunt people on both sides for a long time."
    Christine Clarridge: 206-464-8983 or [email protected]
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I can honestly say I've never seen individually wrapped Watch Caps...and certainly not in orange. Talk about sticking out like a sore foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    You're doing it wrong!
    you're right, good catch....fixed it.

I use this

prolly the worst thing you could wear

with a white turtleneck, jacket unzipped.

prolly the worst thing you could wear

with a white turtleneck, jacket unzipped.
    and these

I use this
    I use that exact hat by turtle fur....cheap and warm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikers kill far more hikers than hunters do. Hunters are far more likely to rescue you than hurt you.

Even though the odds of being shot by a hunter are close to zero, it's still wise to wear bright colors during firearm season. Since the most dangerous time of all is right at first and last light when colors are hard to see, wearing some kind of light during those time periods isn't a silly idea in my estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    Hikers kill far more hikers than hunters do.
    Do tell ?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Do tell ?!?!
    Well on the AT, for example, there have been several murders of hikers by hikers, and as far as I know there has never been a hiker killed by a hunter along the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    Well on the AT, for example, there have been several murders of hikers by hikers, and as far as I know there has never been a hiker killed by a hunter along the AT.
    Murders of hikers by hikers? On the AT? Sorry I hadn't heard about any of that. Can you provide cites?

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Murders of hikers by hikers? On the AT? Sorry I hadn't heard about any of that. Can you provide cites?
    At least three of these murders were by fellow hikers.

Journal Entries

As always, it matters not who is at fault, if you are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm pretty sure their not suppose to hunt a until half hour after dawn or before dusk so that there is enough light to see what their shooting at. An orange hat and maybe a vest over the pack is all that's needed.

So far as I know, no hiker on the AT has ever been shot by a hunter. One reason is that for the most part, the AT is too high up on the ridge line to find any game. Another is hunters don't want to wander too far from their truck or need to be able to get to the kill by ATV. You think their going to drag a 400 pound buck very far through the woods? I don't think so. Finally, most hunters know better then to hunt along popular hiking trails.
    It may depend on where and what is being hunted but your times are wrong at least in MA and NH. If hiking during hunting season is a concern I would suggest you find out the facts from the state website where you will be hiking. And while most hunters I know are very conscientious, accidents do happen.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Accidents are most usually the result of carelessness, regardless of intent. For that reason I will wear color from mid October to the first of the year. Being seen is two thirds of prevention, the other third is luck.

That said, I'm wondering if there is a Sam Kinnison tape you can play loudly in the woods, "I'm not a @&^% deer you idiot" for the color identification impaired....

Hahahaha! That is a great way to ensure you run into some doe in heat!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++