WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Guns on the trail. I know, a touchy subject.

I know some hike with a gun while others do not. I am considering it in case of snakes and feral dogs on the trail. Do you think this is a good idea and if so what would suggest I carry?

An AR-15 loaded with snake shot.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

No need in my opinion. Too much weight for too little (if any) return.

Snakes: poke them with your stick or walk away. I promise: you CAN outrun them.

Dogs: same, same. Which is why I have two regular wooden walking sticks, one of which is sharpened at the top into a nice wedge shape. Plus, I have a smallish, Schrade lock back 4 inch blade hanging from my shoulder strap.

Now: I have a Kel Tec P3AT - I do NOT recommend this, as it jams every 2nd or 3rd round. You have to really work it over to make it work correctly. I don't think you should have to do this to a weapon straight out of the box. I haven't gotten around to that yet. I'm looking at a Ruger .380 for my concealed.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

On a serious note if you really feel the need to carry and your reasoning is fear of snakes it should be something very, very light loaded with snakeshot with as short barrel as possible to allow for wide dispersion of the shot in a short distance.
    Last edited by atmilkman; 10-25-2014 at 10:01.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    On a serious note if you really feel the need to carry and your reasoning is fear of snakes it should be something very, very light loaded with snakeshot with as shot barrel as possible to allow for wide dispersion of the shot in a short distance.
    Long stick beats a short barrel any day! Don't have to reload - never run out, unless the stick breaks !

For snakes, I mean.
    Old Hiker

I was considering a Glock 17 or 19, one of their smaller guns, and maybe a clip or two. in this case two, one with Snake shot (they do maye 9mm Snake shot rounds) and one with standard ammo for anything larger that poses a threat.

Also, I was wondering of Bear Bells actually work. I've seen them at Walmart, and if they do work I am thinking of getting one as a precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    An AR-15 loaded with snake shot.
    That's a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Long stick beats a short barrel any day! Don't have to reload - never run out, unless the stick breaks !

For snakes, I mean.
    (LOL) I know what you mean. The only time I carry, if I carry, is when I'm hiking in the swamps in FL known for a lot of cottonmouths. Those boogers will drop right in the water and come right after you. Very aggressive snake. Beating them with a stick on top of the water is all but futile. I use a stainless steel Ruger SP101 loaded with snakeshot. Very reliable gun even when wet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post

Also, I was wondering of Bear Bells actually work. I've seen them at Walmart, and if they do work I am thinking of getting one as a precaution.
    I don't think snakes can hear bells. Unless they've been beat by a stick.
    Old Hiker

That's a bit much.
    I know. I should have put a smiley face on. I was only kidding with you. Read my last post before this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I don't think snakes can hear bells. Unless they've been beat by a stick.
    Silly, you use a Flute on snakes. :P

Images

OK, OK, OK. I can hear the enviro-wackos going nuts out there.

I DON'T hit snakes. I DON'T kill snakes. I DON'T advocate hitting or killing snakes. I even took the coral snake from my neighbor's poolside and the pygmy rattlers from my school yard and relocated them to a safer, more snake friendly environment. I have two black racers in my backyard that occasionally scare the be-jeebers out of me in my garden and compost pile.
    Old Hiker

To shoot a snake, you have to see it. Once you see the snake, it is no longer a threat because you can just walk around it.
    I've never heard of feral dogs being a problem on the AT, has anyone else?

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Y'all a bit wacky today. A Glock 17 is not a small gun, and two loaded magazines? That's got to be like 3 or 4 lbs. of weaponry. Also, the snakes live out in the woods, you're just visiting. Leave them alone and they won't bother you.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Yes, from personal experience, though it was a long time ago. I'd hear them barking at the trailheads long before I saw them. I learned to pick up a big stick as I approached. I had to use the stick often, though I never struck one. They were crafty and stayed out of range of the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    To shoot a snake, you have to see it. Once you see the snake, it is no longer a threat because you can just walk around it.
    I totally agree. There is no reason to shoot a snake with a gun.

I know some hike with a gun while others do not. I am considering it in case of snakes and feral dogs on the trail. Do you think this is a good idea and if so what would suggest I carry?
    Well in many states it is illegal to shot rattlesnakes. I know this is true for NC. Why would you want to shot a black snake? Wild dogs are a possibility. A small .22 could take care of that. I was like you when I first started hiking. I carried a glock. ONCE...decided the weight was too much. Never hiked with another gun. Now there are some very lightweight hand guns out there. I saw one the other day but I can't remember what the brand name is. If you do a little research you will be able to find some nice light guns. Good luck

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Please don't shoot snakes, especially on the A.T., they don't pose any sort of threat that can't be fixed by backing up a couple of steps and letting them slither off, or possibly nudging them with a long stick if absolutely necessary. It's also illegal to shoot them on most of the trail.

Keep in mind that something like 70% of rattlesnake bites are to the hand, and typically involve alcohol, so don't get drunk and try to mess with them and you'll likely fine.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I was considering a Glock 17 or 19, one of their smaller guns, and maybe a clip or two. in this case two, one with Snake shot (they do maye 9mm Snake shot rounds) and one with standard ammo for anything larger that poses a threat.

Guns for protection against homosapiens is one thing, and I wouldn't advertise it ether, but for shooting wildlife...not cool.

In the case of bear bells to ward off snakes, well I unequivocally can tell you that they won't work. Snakes can not hear, they rely mainly on vibrations through movement with receptors located on either side of their jaws.

Using bear bells for bears on the AT is simply overkill, and quite annoying for other hikers to say the least.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Cedar1974, evidently you didn't get the memo. Threads like this are not usually started until Sunday morning.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++