WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I've been backpacking for about 20 yrs now. I've never seen a feral dog. I've seen some anti-social & aggressive dogs that their owners said, "Oh, he won't bite." I've seen a lot of snakes over the years. I hate snakes. But, they're usually easy to avoid if you watch where you put your feet & hands.

Pistols can be heavy & a pain in the butt to carry. Lots of issues to worry about: Where do I carry/hide it? Is it safe to leave it when I do a camp chore? Is it safe from the weather?

What people take on their backpack trips is based on their fears. Based on my fears, I wouldn't consider carrying a pistol on the AT. To date, I haven't felt it necessary to carry on any of my other hikes as well. If I ever do a trek in Afghanistan (or similar locale), that would change.

The critter you need to be the most afraid of you can't hardly see - the lyme carrying deer tick.

And as Canoe said, Rattlesnakes are a protected species in most, if not all the AT states. If you happen to see on in the middle of the trail, just step over it and keep going. Poking it with a stick just pisses it off. Don't bother it and it won't bother you. It knows your too big to eat.

As for Feral dogs, your not likely to see any of those. I did have a pack of 3-4 snarling dogs block the path leading from the RPH shelter in NY as I left in the morning, but I'm pretty sure they were local dogs as they eventually ran down the road towards a farm house. Shooting one of those would have caused some trouble for sure.

People who are so paranoid they feel they need to carry a gun for protection on the AT should stay home.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

FYI, about 900 miles of trail is on National Park Service land, and on those lands it is completely illegal to hunt or kill any sort of wildlife, including snakes.

And like someone above said, if you can see a snake for long enough to pull out your gun, aim, and shoot, then you had plenty of time to walk around it.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    FYI, about 900 miles of trail is on National Park Service land, and on those lands it is completely illegal to hunt or kill any sort of wildlife, including snakes.

And like someone above said, if you can see a snake for long enough to pull out your gun, aim, and shoot, then you had plenty of time to walk around it.
    this is completely true except for Native Cherokees I know for a fact that they can hunt, trap, fish in the GSMNP and on other park lands.

Well, I haven't even bought a gun yet, and from what I am hearing from everyone, it is a bit of overkill, and not really needed. Honestly I would more than likely shoot myself before I would need to shoot anything else from what you are all saying.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    Well, I haven't even bought a gun yet, and from what I am hearing from everyone, it is a bit of overkill, and not really needed. Honestly I would more than likely shoot myself before I would need to shoot anything else from what you are all saying.
    Based on what you've said, i suspect that a small can of pepper spray or a canister of real bear spray will likely suit your needs better.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    No need in my opinion. Too much weight for too little (if any) return.

Snakes: poke them with your stick or walk away. I promise: you CAN outrun them.

Dogs: same, same. Which is why I have two regular wooden walking sticks, one of which is sharpened at the top into a nice wedge shape. Plus, I have a smallish, Schrade lock back 4 inch blade hanging from my shoulder strap.

Now: I have a Kel Tec P3AT - I do NOT recommend this, as it jams every 2nd or 3rd round. You have to really work it over to make it work correctly. I don't think you should have to do this to a weapon straight out of the box. I haven't gotten around to that yet. I'm looking at a Ruger .380 for my concealed.

if the Kel Tec jams that much it needs servicing.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Snakes are good, I wouldn't shoot a snake...the slitherin' kind.

I was encircled by a pack of stray dogs just outside of Erwin, TN. Based on the variety of size and breed it was clear that they were a bunch of strays that had formed a pack.
    Because of this "camoflage" of looking like nomal house pets I didn't realize they were aggressive until they had me surrounded. I picked up a stick and started swinging it as I backed onto a foot bridge across a creek. They quickly lost interest and left the area.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I had one also - sent it back twice to the factory, The problem w/jamming continued so I traded it in for LCP 380. A much better pistol.

Journal Entries
    Images

Extra weight IMHO and unnecessary. But keep it simple S&W Model 10. I'd handload 110 grains in front of some 231. Have to read up on shot loads. Maybe even a Model 66 instead of the 10 which is 38 spec., the 66 in 357 would give more space for shot. I'd have Shot-Bullet- shot- Than last 3 bullets. Learn how to shot the wheel gun double action. Auto's other than the 1911 take up way too much time from a maintence standpoint. But my experience is pure extra weight, PIA to have someplace reachable in a hurry. etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Extra weight IMHO and unnecessary. But keep it simple S&W Model 10. I'd handload 110 grains in front of some 231. Have to read up on shot loads. Maybe even a Model 66 instead of the 10 which is 38 spec., the 66 in 357 would give more space for shot. I'd have Shot-Bullet- shot- Than last 3 bullets. Learn how to shot the wheel gun double action. Auto's other than the 1911 take up way too much time from a maintence standpoint. But my experience is pure extra weight, PIA to have someplace reachable in a hurry. etc etc etc.
    If weight is your concern when it comes to a gun Taurus makes an ultralite 38 special. it is a 5 shot revolver and it only weighs 16 ounces.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    I had one also - sent it back twice to the factory, The problem w/jamming continued so I traded it in for LCP 380. A much better pistol.
    Started jamming pretty quickly after buying. Gun store kept giving me excused: wrong ammo, limp wrist, dirty magazine. Whatever. By the time I found out the truth, too late to exchange or return. Caveat emptor. Next time, I'll go to a decent store/range and actually fire the weapon.

You are supposed to "fluff and buff" the feeding chute with emery cloth, etc. I've decided not to. I can get 2 - 3 shots off and I can clear the jam quickly.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

For dogs, a small bottle of pepper spray works wonders. It's also a lot cheaper then a gun and weighs less. Never seen a feral dog on a trail, but I have seen aggressive territorial household pets that are allowed to roam when a trail comes near their home. But it isn't common enough to worry about most of the time. The only time I carry pepper spray is because a spot has a known well publicized problem where their owner doesn't care enough to try to stop it. I've not heard of such an issue anywhere along the AT so I think you are carrying a brick for no reason. Trekking poles work well with snakes.

Journal Entries

There is absolutely no reason to shoot a snake. In some states you cannot harm snakes by law either.

Maybe I'll just get a can of that Anti Zombie pepper spray. And yes, that is a real thing

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I know some hike with a gun while others do not. I am considering it in case of snakes and feral dogs on the trail. Do you think this is a good idea and if so what would suggest I carry?
    yes. LCR http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html?r=y

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Please don't shoot snakes, especially on the A.T., they don't pose any sort of threat that can't be fixed by backing up a couple of steps and letting them slither off, or possibly nudging them with a long stick if absolutely necessary. It's also illegal to shoot them on most of the trail.

Keep in mind that something like 70% of rattlesnake bites are to the hand, and typically involve alcohol, so don't get drunk and try to mess with them and you'll likely fine.
    One of the saddest things I saw on the PCT was a headless rattler. Such a shame and senseless.

as far as carrying any gun, CYOW. (carry your own weight) but I would much prefer to carry more food than a gun that is unlikely to ever be used.

Ruger LCP .380. Small and lightweight. i wear it in an inside the waistband holster. Don't even notice it's there but feel naked without it.

Moved to Straight Forward. Address the snakes, dogs, or bears question please. Anything else will be removed and any more cheap shots thrown will have consequences for the poster.

Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++