WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I preferred fresh brewed but, when that's not convenient I have 2 suitable substitutes;

http://www.kavacoffee.com Instant coffee
    and
    http://www.medagliadoro.com/espresso-products.aspx Instant espresso

Both taste better and are more economical than Sb Via packets

I also use a coffee press. I grind my beans before leaving and place in a ziplock baggie however, I am in the process of looking at grinders for hiking. I love coffee to much to settle for less than what I drink at home.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I preferred fresh brewed but, when that's not convenient I have 2 suitable substitutes;

http://www.kavacoffee.com Instant coffee
    and
    http://www.medagliadoro.com/espresso-products.aspx Instant espresso

Both taste better and are more economical than Sb Via packets
    Thanks for these suggestions, OCDave, hard to believe I'll like them as much as Via's, but worth a shot; the major flaw with Via's (for those of us that like their taste) is their packaging and cost.

Images

Although it's prcier than the rest of the brands - Starbucks Via wins hands down for me - I personally prefer the blonde roast

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Thanks for these suggestions, OCDave, hard to believe I'll like them as much as Via's, but worth a shot; the major flaw with Via's (for those of us that like their taste) is their packaging and cost.
    What is the flaw with their packaging? The little pre-proportioned tubes I find a great and light weight convenience out there and I know exactly how many servings I am packing. With all my coffee in a ziplock I find I usually carry more then I need and it gets messy after a while.

I think like most things hiking related (and life related) what is best for me may not work for you. I am a coffee snob at home. Though I have severely cut back on my caffeinated drinks. I try not to drink caffeine on hikes as I said previously, it makes me have to pee frequently. But if I was bringing caffeine on hikes I likely would opt for the VIA packs.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    What is the flaw with their packaging? The little pre-proportioned tubes I find a great and light weight convenience out there and I know exactly how many servings I am packing. With all my coffee in a ziplock I find I usually carry more then I need and it gets messy after a while.
    The thought maybe that if they offered a multi serving package it would be a bit cheaper? Kind of like those K-cups vs. coffee in a bag as to a per serving cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Just before a hike, I grind beans I roast a day or so prior. Make cowboy coffee with hot water, just below boiling, steep for five minutes, and then pour though a small strainer (so I don't end up chewing grounds). Add a little honey and a sprinkle of NIDO. Yeah, I'm a fanatic.
    Real cowboys didn't worry about the grounds...besides, they can be a source of nutrition on the trail!

BTW, has anyone figured out how to dehydrate a donut to go with that coffee?
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    The thought maybe that if they offered a multi serving package it would be a bit cheaper? Kind of like those K-cups vs. coffee in a bag as to a per serving cost.
    That goes to cost, which was mentioned as a disadvantage. And as for k-cups, Starbucks notoriously sold them in 10 packs, instead of 12 packs, leaving space in the box for 2 additional k-cups. Starbucks likes to market their product as high end expensive as part of their mystique and bottom line. Again that only goes to cost.

But the package seems, as i pointed out above, highly efficient for a hiker - no excess carried, no water absorbed instant coffee bits in a ziplock, no mess. Seems like very favorable hiker friendly packaging, unless colorado_rob feels the need to carry the cardboard package the tubes come in.

You know, this may sound strange, but I think I may try the instant coffee that Dollar Tree carries and see how that is and package straws with that cream and sugar, then I can use the straw to stir the coffee as well.

Images

I've used the Melitta Senseo pods http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/senseo-pods which are single cup servings like an overstuffed coffee tea bag meant for their machine. Convenient packaging and brews up well in a small pot. Also carry a few of those no refrigeration needed Mini-Moo 1/2 & 1/2's on my short weekend hikes. What's an ounce or two extra in order to have really good coffee the way I like it.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    What's an ounce or two extra in order to have really good coffee the way I like it.
    I'm glad to hear this. I am glad to see not everyone is a gram Nazi on this forum. I can understand the concept of every gram counts, but sometimes you just have to toss that out the indow for comfort foods, like self dehydrated Mac and cheese (Yes I saw a video where a guy did that for a hike.)

I alternate between carrying the French press attachment for my Jetboil and Starbucks Via. You can't beat the convenience of Via. I hate putting food (including coffee grounds) in my Jetboil cup preferring only to boil water in it. I hate cleaning the damn thing. That said, sometimes I just can't resist fresh brewed.

I like the Trader Joes 3 in 1 packets. I make 2 in 12oz water and it comes out perfect. I'd liken myself to be rather coffee snobbish but this works great for me. I only pack what I know I need, so there's no sharing in my camp : )

+1 for cowboy coffee. Use an espresso grind for better results.

I got this little French press thingy, prolly weighs a 1/2 lb...Via's not bad, but I gotta have real cream, at lest those little liquid half shots.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Well, those little packs seem silly, hard to open for my fumbling fingers, I wish you could just buy the Via product in a jar/box or something, like a lot of other instant coffees, that's all. I've also made the mistake a couple times of thinking I had more Via's than I did, counting empty packets, that sort of thing. No biggie, fine product! We even carry Via's car camping these days, shunning our old French press method.

Images

Folgers real coffee singles are nice too. Regular coffee in tea bag form is really easy to make and light as well.

Images

I have come to really like the Trader Joe's 3-n-1 instant coffee. In my goal to reduce my food bulk its nice to have it all contained in a single package. No repackaging of coffee, sweetener or creamer from larger packaging, and no accumulation of many individual empties either.

Has anyone tried the Jiva Cubes yet? http://www.jivacubes.com/
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++