WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I've settled on Nescafe "Clasico". Just empty the jar into a ziplock. I also carry a small ziplock of creamer. I've found this arrangement allows me to make whatever size cup of coffee I want, as strong as I want. The taste is pretty pleasant. Very light weight solution as well.

The packets never had the proper amount of coffee for the cups I used, and I've gotten two boxes of the Taster's Choice brand that had apparently gotten wet and crystallized in the packet (bought this way). They were not usable, so had to go without coffee.

The coffee bags work well also, but are more expensive and produced more trash without any real advantage to taste. They contain a fair amount of instant coffee in each bag, so taste similar to other instants.
    Nescafe Clasico, not too expensive and tastes great for instant coffee.
    Grey Ghost

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Must say I tried Starbucks coffee the other day.
    No thanks.
    It tasted burnt to me.
    I'd take my Nescafe instant over that high-priced hyped up black **** any day..

I guess it depends on what you are used to.
    I'm used to instant at the moment.

I prefer not to have my life more complicated than it is, so, go for the simplest coffee. (and I learned to like it)
    "Complicated" coffee? that's a new one. "Hyped up Black ****", that's downright rude. But anyway, on one point we agree: it depends on what you're used to. I grew up back east drinking Folgers and other weak coffee brands because my parents did, then maybe 20 years ago out in the west I drank my first cup of nice, strong, "burnt" (AKA: dark roasted) coffee from Seattle... wow, I thought I had died and had gone to heaven. Why had I been drinking that weak dark-colored hot water all those years?

Anyway, nothing magic about Starbucks in particular, I actually like Pete's and a few other Seattle coffees better, it's just that Startucks is the only "burnt" brand that comes micro-ground (AKA: Via's), to my knowledge, at least. The micro-ground coffees have much more surface area than conventional instant coffees, hance the much stronger flavor. Not for everyone, but sure works for a heck of a lot of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I was recently given a can of Cafe Bustelo ground coffee. Not bad when made in my drip coffee machine. Is the instant a different product?
    yes, in that its an instant. You see bustelo in the grocery stores all the time as a whole coffee ready for a machine. You never see the instant. the only place I've found it for sale is Big Lots. There are a couple of other instant espressos around in the grocery stores like megaladorio and one other. I think the bustelo is just as good or better.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    You see bustelo in the grocery stores all the time as a whole coffee ready for a machine. You never see the instant.
    Score one benefit to living in the Garden State! I get Cafe Bustelo instant at Wegmans (grocery store for those who have never heard of it). It is my first choice for backpacking (I shipped a crazy amount of it to Philmont with our stoves and some cheaper Folger's instant for the youths).

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I use a coffee press. I HATE instant. I love my morning coffee out in the woods.
    Good point, but how do you carry the press hiking? seem like a heavy item.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

I find the Bustelo instant coffee at Ingles market in Asheville all the time (It's what I drink).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Good point, but how do you carry the press hiking? seem like a heavy item.
    It's 10.8 ounces, including the cup. http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/personal_java_press
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Journal Entries
    Images

As I read this post there is miss-apprehension about drinking coffee with fake creamers such as coffee mate. My wife switched to this instead of Half and Half to control her cholesterol and it made in her eyes a significant difference.

Corn syrup solids are the dry form of corn syrup, a sweetener derived from corn. It is used in foods where it is impractical to use liquid syrup. It is less sweet than cane sugar (table sugar or sucrose) and is available in three different sweetness levels or dextrose equivalent (DE) ratings. The level of sweetness determines the ingredient function and foods that it can be used in.
    Corn syrup solids are used in powdered coffee creamers and dry beverage mixes. Corn syrup solids are also added as a thickener as it adds texture and mouth-feel to many processed foods. It is also an ingredient in baby formula. Corn syrup solids are also used to encapsulate food ingredients, like flavors. The “sugar coated” flavor is protected from degradation, oxidation and rancidity.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Alternatives would be Mini Moo's, ( My fav ) Half and Half, almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, even soy milk.

And now an interesting message from the Huffington Post & Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters....

Pssst. lots of stuff we eat catches fire.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I love the Starbucks Via Instant Iced Coffees, carry them on every 3 season hike. For hot instant coffee, I could go with just about any instant coffee, those Folgers pouches are okay.

I like Starbucks individual instants....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++