WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Jiva Cubes yet? http://www.jivacubes.com/
    I like my coffee black, unsweetened and unflavored. It looks like these come sweetened at a minimum. Am I miss reading?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I like my coffee black, unsweetened and unflavored. It looks like these come sweetened at a minimum. Am I miss reading?
    No you are not misreading. Most of their products are flavored and sweetened. But it looks like from their home page picture slider they're starting a Kickstarter campaign to bring "Jiva Black" to market as a non-sweetened non-flavored coffee cube. Watch the picture slider cycle through and it should come up.

Like I said I have not tried them yet myself and was wonder if anyone has.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Jiva Cubes yet? http://www.jivacubes.com/
    I'm actually interested in these because they have a hot chocolate version and I'd prefer a nice hot cocoa to coffee any day.

I only drink black coffee so I think I'm leaning towards using a press. Haven't made coffee on any shorter trips, but I'm not sure tea will cut it on my thru.
    "I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out til sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." -John Muir

Images

I insist on good, fresh ground coffee. My favorites are Jamaican Blue Mountain and Starbucks Verona.

This is my method to the madness:
    The filter fits the Nalgene bottle. The Nalgene nests in the mug.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...iginal=1&c=694

The whole works go into a nifty cozy.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...iginal=1&c=694
    Last edited by Cadenza; 11-02-2014 at 17:40.

Images

Nescafe Clasico is my instant brand of choice. A better, bolder taste than Via and less expensive as well.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Journal Entries

+1 for the Nescafe Classico. Also available in the Caribbean and South America

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using Tapatalk4

Journal Entries

drink it black like a real man

Ditto...............
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Did a very cold hike over the weekend along the Chattooga River Trail and part of the Foothills Trail and had the Jiva cubes. Delicious. But are compressed with raw cane sugar so those coffee drinkers who prefer theirs black wouldn't care for them.

I like Nescafe Classico and Nescafe Suave instant coffee made with three measured 1/4 tsp. in smoking hot water or just arrived at a roiling boil (not later).

This particular instant coffee has all the good coffee flavor without the big caffeine "hit".

The only other coffee, except barrista coffee, I like is International Delight iced coffee. I have not figured out how to repackage and backpack. Ice cubes, the tiny ice cubes?

I also like Coffee-Mate Latte or French Vanilla coffee creamer in the Nescafe Classico or Nescafe Suave instant coffee prepared as I described I have also not figured out how to repackage and backpack well. The pre-packaged individual serving-size can get smashed.

+1 for Starbucks Via

I heard about the coffee cubes at Stick's Blog. He liked coffee cubes.

I've been trying to find an acceptable instant other than Starbucks via that I am likely to find in trail towns. So far, no luck. I'm not doing food mail drops but might have to resort to ordering 50 pack Vias from Amazon every 2-3 weeks...

Since I drift between hot cocoa and coffee, I have found myself experimenting with a mixture of the two and making a mocha blend. Sometimes better than others, but I have not yet found the right mix of instant ingredients. I have not seen any blends in stores (admittedly I don't look all that hard), does anyone know of any or if you make this, what instants have you found to work best?

I've gone with a cocoa/coffee blend at times as well. I do this when I can only find the typical instant coffees which I don't like except when combined with chocolate. Usually I would mix one Swiss Miss packet with a tablespoon of instant with ten ounces of hot water. I guess this is my fallback if I run out of Vias and a small town grocery doesn't have good instant coffee in stock.

Images

Coffee - Try the NesCafe Clasico. You can get it at Food Lion and Giant. I used Via for awhile but switched to the NesCafe and have not looked back.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Must say I tried Starbucks coffee the other day.
    No thanks.
    It tasted burnt to me.
    I'd take my Nescafe instant over that high-priced hyped up black **** any day..

I guess it depends on what you are used to.
    I'm used to instant at the moment.

I prefer not to have my life more complicated than it is, so, go for the simplest coffee. (and I learned to like it)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

One I've found has become my goto - Bustello instant espresso. You can only find it at the very exclusive 500+ Big Lots everywhere. Its always tucked away from other coffee so you have to really look close and go over every aisle but I have always found it. Usually about 5$ for a giant azz jar. I pour it into a gallon baggie. In the the morning, I like a 12-16 oz cup at heavy strength. during the day I make a 2 oz espresso strength. If you want to save on stove fuel, you can just make small espresso cups all the time. I also mix 3 spoonfuls with two paks of hot chocolate served cold. Makes a great morning shake done in the tent. You'll come out of the tent at 4 mph.

I was recently given a can of Cafe Bustelo ground coffee. Not bad when made in my drip coffee machine. Is the instant a different product?
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

I've settled on Nescafe "Clasico". Just empty the jar into a ziplock. I also carry a small ziplock of creamer. I've found this arrangement allows me to make whatever size cup of coffee I want, as strong as I want. The taste is pretty pleasant. Very light weight solution as well.

The packets never had the proper amount of coffee for the cups I used, and I've gotten two boxes of the Taster's Choice brand that had apparently gotten wet and crystallized in the packet (bought this way). They were not usable, so had to go without coffee.

The coffee bags work well also, but are more expensive and produced more trash without any real advantage to taste. They contain a fair amount of instant coffee in each bag, so taste similar to other instants.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++