Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

JJ, I'm actually a pretty warm sleeper but I've done some winter hiking in Maine, and that's a situation where staying warm is a challenge whether you "sleep warm" or not. I'll repeat what others are saying, in fact. Stay dry, and if you can't then sleep in a set of dry clothes just for sleeping (you already knew this). Wool works, not cotton, so wool long underwear, for example.

An important trick: put something warm on your feat. Someone mentioned down booties, which sound wonderful. I would keep a pair of thick wool socks in my sleeping bag, just for sleeping. Also, wear a nice warm hat while sleeping, and it should be perfectly dry. Can you make that wool or some kind of wool blend?

I want to add my thanks for all the useful suggestions. I too struggle with staying warm evenings and early mornings, and not only while on the trail but also while living in a drafty old house.

Great list! Additional tips, as a 5'3" 180# woman: 1) tight clothes restrict circulation and circulation brings warm blood. I sleep in loose wool socks with no elastic band at the top. Makes a huge difference. 2) I'm round and use a big bag, but I'm short so I need to fill the end of my bag with stuff (boots, clothes, etc.) or put my pack on top of it so the bottom is packed down. This blocks the end of my sleeping bag and I'm not loosing heat to the extra space 3) in general, just mittens keep my hands warmer then just gloves.

In another thread, don't hike in down garments, the down gets wet from the inside (ie. perspiration).

Have the down garments in camp.

I put on down, in camp. It is almost never so cold, as to wear it inside my down sleeping system. I put it over me, but usually inside my pack under my legs because I use a short NeoAir mattress.

I usually sleep in a fresh "insulating" layer of silkweight or 150 weight or more lightweight merino.

This keeps the down sleep system clean and the down clothing warm and dry for the next time I need to wear it.

Recently, I ordered a down vest, sleeves, and hood from lukesultralight. I think this will be the most versatile, and, packable volume use of lightweight down garments, for me. Sold as a "down bundle" I am looking forward to receiving that package.

I put on a warm beanie hat, maybe gloves as well the moment I start to feel cold, if hiking, if stopping for a rest break, if stopping for a food break, if stopping to make camp. The monent I fell a little cold, I put on the warm hat.

If it could be cold enough for frost, or ice, at night, I put my boots inside a bag to keep everything else clean. The boots go under my legs underneath my down sleep system, as well, sometimes inside my backpack.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-23-2014 at 10:23.

Images

Do what I do....gain weight

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your suggestions. Your paragraph about men and women and how we keep warm makes a some things become very clear. Thanks again

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++