WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default First impressions: Thermarest Neoair Xlite

I've been using Thermarest self inflating pads for a number of years while car camping and when I put a pack back on after a number of years I lashed the pad to my pack and took it for a walk. The pad is good but I find myself waking up in the morning stiff with a knee or hip aching. Regardless of how inflated it was the pad never seemed to provide enough padding.

This past weekend I decided to camp both going to and returning from a long car ride to Tennessee. Shenandoah was the halfway point so I decided to spend a night in the woods. Along the way to VA I passed a Cabelas and that store just happened to have a Neoair Xlite prominently displayed in the camping section. It must have been a sign!

What worked - I was blown away by the comfort. I woke up in the morning refreshed with nary an ache. Also, it packs into a stuff sack that's not much bigger than a Nalgene. And it's lighter than my self inflating pad by a country mile.

What didn't - Not much, really. I'm extremely nervous about puncturing the thing but I'm usually a type A so I'm very wary of letting it rest on any unapproved surface.

Overall - I can't wait to get this thing out in the woods for an extended hike. I can already envision a better night's sleep.

Journal Entries

I too went from the self inflating too the Neo-Air X-Crinkly and yes it is a amazing difference in sleep quality. The trick for me was not to overinflated the crinkly so I had much more of that depth to support me, the self inflating one just didn't have the depth to start with.

I have a NeoAir myself. It has 1000+/- miles on it without a problem (knock on wood). I mostly sleep in my tent, but I have used it more nights than I can recount off the top of my head in shelters as well. I don't use/carry an extra ground sheet for shelters if that says anything.

I set up camp (tent, pad, etc.) as soon as I arrive, and let just enough air out that it doesn't feel stiff when l lay down on it for the night. So far so good.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My NeoAir shortie has transformed my ground sleeping experience. There is a huge, huge difference between a 2" pad and whatever the old Thermarest ProLites had, especially for a side-sleeper. The shortie is a bit too narrow if you sleep on your back as my elbows hang off the sides. I've actually considered cutting down a NeoAir XL to get more width for only a few more ounces of carry weight (I use my pack under my legs).

I have put at least 60 nights on my NeoAir without issue. I do try to put either a PolyChro ground sheet or my Cuben fiber tarp floor underneath, but I'd do that for any inflatable mattress. Even so, I've gone without a ground cloth for a dozen or more shelter nights.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I'm thinking about switching to the Neoair from my Prolite but I'm waiting for a 20% off sale from REI. Seems like the Neoairs are rarely on sale.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Havana View Post
    I've been using Thermarest self inflating pads for a number of years while car camping and when I put a pack back on after a number of years I lashed the pad to my pack and took it for a walk. The pad is good but I find myself waking up in the morning stiff with a knee or hip aching. Regardless of how inflated it was the pad never seemed to provide enough padding.

Just to warn you, I wouldn't recommend ever placing an inflatable pad on the outside of your pack. I've managed to have a thornbush puncture my pro-lite that I had strapped to the bottom of my pack,even though I had it wrapped up inside another thin foam pad...and that was on day three of a seven day trip, not fun.

I'd also recommend buying the patch kid made specifically for the neoair and carrying one of the patches with you if you want some extra peace of mind (yes, I've also managed to put a hole in my wife's neoair when I borrowed it.) The patches for that model are quick and easy to apply and work very well.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

"I'm extremely nervous about puncturing the thing but I'm usually a type A so I'm very wary of letting it rest on any unapproved surface."

Do be careful about checking where you'll be sleeping for anthing sharp first before laying down on your inflated X-Lite. Small punctures are fixed with a few drops of Super Glue(about $2 compared to the 5X more expensive Thermarest Patch Kit) or McNett's Seam Grip. McNett's Seam Grip (NOT SEAM SEAL) can be had in very small 1 oz and smaller tubes at outfitters like REI.

Images

Under inflating at 3/4 max works well for me after a period of experimentation.
    I was lucky to buy a womens version neoair, 66" new from a member here for a great deal .

It keeps me from waking up sore so yeah I'm happy.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

I'd also recommend buying the patch kid made specifically for the neoair ...
    Mine came with a patch kit.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The 1st generation neoairs (the crinkling rectangular ones) didn't come with a patch.
    Since they moved to the contoured shaped xlite, they've come with a patch kit.
    All the various styles I can find on REI (xlite, xtherm, camper) come with patch kits.

Images

Mine also came with a patch kit

Thank you all for your info!!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The 1st generation neoairs (the crinkling rectangular ones) didn't come with a patch.
    Since they moved to the contoured shaped xlite, they've come with a patch kit.
    All the various styles I can find on REI (xlite, xtherm, camper) come with patch kits.
    As HooKooDooKu says, my original neoair bought in 2009 didn't come with any patches, I had to buy the kit seperately after I got a hole in it. The good news is that it has had the same patch on it since it the spring of 2010 and the pad is still going strong.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Small punctures are fixed with a few drops of Super Glue(about $2 compared to the 5X more expensive Thermarest Patch Kit) or McNett's Seam Grip. McNett's Seam Grip (NOT SEAM SEAL) can be had in very small 1 oz and smaller tubes at outfitters like REI.
    The pad comes with a patch kit though I usually carry a small tube of Seam Grip for on the trail repairs to a variety of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Just to warn you, I wouldn't recommend ever placing an inflatable pad on the outside of your pack. I've managed to have a thornbush puncture my pro-lite that I had strapped to the bottom of my pack,even though I had it wrapped up inside another thin foam pad...and that was on day three of a seven day trip, not fun.
    Yeah, it's been a fear of mine too but I'd rather take the risk and carry a smaller pack. That said, the much smaller xlite can live inside, safe and sound.

Images

I hiked with a Neo for 3-4 years and (although kinda noisy when you roll around) loved it. After trying a Klymit Static V pad I switched. Now I sell them at Wolfpen Outfitters (Top of Georgia Hostel & Hiking Center) and highly recommend them . The added plus is the cost as well. Only $50.

Default First impressions: Thermarest Neoair Xlite

Rei had a blow out on the fitted sheets for the Neo. This cut down on the noise considerably plus in the summer you don't stick to the pad if you are just laying on it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Some of them must have, must have changed policy sometime back then, because mine did, still got it. Never used. My old Neoair finally developed a slow leak, could not find it to save my life. Mailed it back to the manufacturer (per instructions on web site), a week later a brand new X-lite was on my front porch (also with patch kit, of course, now I have multiple patch kits). Amazing customer service!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    I hiked with a Neo for 3-4 years and (although kinda noisy when you roll around) loved it. After trying a Klymit Static V pad I switched. Now I sell them at Wolfpen Outfitters (Top of Georgia Hostel & Hiking Center) and highly recommend them . The added plus is the cost as well. Only $50.
    I've had my eye on this one due to good reviews (I currently have a Neoair Trekker wide torso). I want a wider pad but don't need the long length (and extra weight) the wide pads have. I don't know why companies only make wide pads in long lengths. The Static V seems to meet my needs, but I see there is now a Static V2. Do you know what is the difference is?

I'm a NeoAir X-lite convert as well. I bought it a short time before my 2013 AT thru-hike. I used it a couple of times before the hike as well as the entire thru-hike. I worried about leaks but never got one. I always used used a groundsheet when I slept on a shelter floor. I'd fully inflate the mat & then would deflate it slightly so that my hips would barely touch the ground/floor when laying sideways. Very comfortable. Very warm as well. I've used mine when the temps got down into the teens & still stayed warm.

The only downside is the noise. If you toss & turn, you may disturb your tent-mate or shelter-mate. When using it in a shelter, you will make some noise deflating it. Being an early riser, I tried to be a quiet as I could. But, I'm sure I annoyed some people who liked to sleep later than I.

How long does the mat take to fill and deflate? I was trying to find a video of someone doing this, but I couldnt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++