WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good advice for all hikers.

I am still in the planning stages for my hike, but I just realized I am doing something in school right now that would be smart for anyone planning a thru hike or just wanting to get lost in the woods for a weekend. Take a first aid course. I am currently taking a Red Cross first aid course as my local Junior College, and I realized these are all skills that you can use on the trail. So check your local area and see if there is a Junior College or some other place offering a first aid course.

Also, while on the hammock Fourms I saw this:

http://goo.gl/c9dGuU

A very helpful guide to knots. Trust me, out in the woods you need to know your knots.

Images

I took my first EMT course because I was hooked on backpacking way back in 1982. Was supposed to be just for my own personal enrichment. Turned into a 30+ year career from which I just retired this past June. I'd say I agree with the above post.

Good advice.

Basic first aid education is pretty important and can be invaluable in life. Frankly I don't know why this isn't part of the educational process in the 12 grade public educational system we have in the US. What I learned in the early 70s in basic and (then) advanced first aid I have used a number of times both in the woods and life in general.

Images

Very good advice. In addition - Wilderness First Aid Courses are taught by a few organizations including NOLS and SHAMROCK. Outdoors centers along the trail teach them a few times a year. Down on the southern trail Nantahala Outdoors Center, Top of Georgia Hostel & Hiking Center, to name a few.

Images

Back when I worked as a rock climbing/mountaineering guide I had my Wilderness First Responder certification. It's expired now but I've definitely thought of going through the course again. It's definitely good stuff to know.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I've taken Wilderness Remote First Aid classes through the Boy Scouts & Red Cross. I'd highly recommend this course for those who spend a lot of time in the backcountry. A 2-day course w/ realistic first aid scenarios. The Scouts require WRFA certification among their High Adventure Trek participants (Philmont, Northern Tier, etc). Since my certification expired this month, I've got a class scheduled for next month (4th time to take the course). I just wish the re-certification was only one day instead of going through the same 2-day course again.

Been a National Registered EMT for years and hoping to take some WFA classes in the near future. I find my skills come in handy in everyday situations and while hiking. I feel everyone should have atleast CPR and Basic First-Aid skills, if not for themselves but anyone else they may run across either in public or on trail. Also, AED certification is good for public places such as malls. The first hour is most important to heart attack victoms and I would feel extremely helpless and guilty if I needed to help someone and couldn't do anything but stand there.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Damn Yankee,

you ruined my post! I was prepared to say it had been trained extensively in the military, and did not need to retrain.... But then you went and said you are a registered EMT and are planning to get more training.... Darn you man! Now I have have to reconsider my position....,
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

99% of all issues can be handled with duct tape and motrin. If a serious situation, needs to be taken off trail for proper care.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Right on! A wilderness first aid course is a great thing to take.

I can give you one good reason to get some kinf of First Aid certification. The Good Samaritan Law basically covers you in case you should offer first aid and accidentally injure them, like cracking a rib during CPR. The thing is, the law is different from state to state. Here in Alabama you must have a certification in order to be protected by the Good Samaritan Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I can give you one good reason to get some kinf of First Aid certification. The Good Samaritan Law basically covers you in case you should offer first aid and accidentally injure them, like cracking a rib during CPR. The thing is, the law is different from state to state. Here in Alabama you must have a certification in order to be protected by the Good Samaritan Law.
    Is there a place that summarizes this by state?

Images

What would Lewis and Clark thought.

Images

The most vital part of first aid, past stopping profuse bleeding, rescue breathing and possibly CPR is gaining the knowledge of what is an emergency and what is not. Surprisingly, few people can recognize an actual emergency. That is obvious when one works in EMS for 30 years. The bulk of calls are non-emergencies in which someone panics or simply wants attention or a ride, a few are actual emergencies where EMS is called immediately, and way too many are emergencies that SHOULD have been taken care of hours, days or even weeks earlier.

While it's true, most non-emergencies in the back country can be taken care of with duct tape and Motrin, the huge benefit of emergency medical training (the higher the level the better) is in recognizing when evacuation is needed, then being able to make a reasonable judgement as to how that should be accomplished.

Just one thing to keep in mind, not all doctors and/or nurses have any experience in emergency medicine, or, if they do, it was "in passing" and many years ago. Most of them will readily admit this, a few will not. Use some caution when taking advice from people who are unknown to you. The more training you have, the better you can judge good vs bad advice.

I took a WFA course from AMC years ago and to this day I still carry a space blanket and rubber gloves. I've never needed to use it but i'll carry it just in case. The best I can do is stabilized and get help.

Damn Yankee, I highly recommend the WFA course that I took this past spring. Details at solowfa.com

Images

Capts appreciate scuddlebutt, done been married and kickked ass scince.

Images

Duct tape and the ability to make Fire, Smile

Wilderness first aid courses are invaluable up until the point that they convince you that you need to carry an extra 3 lbs of kit that you'll likely never use because "just in case".
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    Wilderness first aid courses are invaluable up until the point that they convince you that you need to carry an extra 3 lbs of kit that you'll likely never use because "just in case".
    You true copperhead...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++